Hotel room keys

Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:06 PM
Karl Sigerist Sr©

Default Hotel room keys

: WHEN YOU TRAVEL--- HOTEL SUGGESTION FROM A DETECTIVE

Hmmmm this is interesting........perhaps one could ask them to wipe the card
at the time of check out or have a magnet of your own?

" Southern California law enforcement professionals assigned to detect new
threats to personal security issues, recently discovered what type of
information is embedded in the credit card type hotel room keys used
through-out the industry.

Although room keys differ from hotel to hotel, a key obtained from the
"Double Tree" chain that was being used for a regional Identity Theft
Presentation was found to contain the following the information:

a.. Customers (your) name
b.. Customers partial home address
c.. Hotel room number
d.. Check in date and check out date
e.. Customers (your) credit card number and expiration date!
When you turn them in to the front desk your personal information is
there for any employee to access by simply scanning the card in the
hotel scanner. An employee can take a hand full of cards home and using
a scanning device, access the information onto a laptop computer and go
shopping at your expense.

Simply put, hotels do not erase these cards until an employee issues the
card to the next hotel guest. It is usually kept in a drawer at the
front desk with YOUR INFORMATION ON IT!!!!

The bottom line is, keep the cards or destroy them! NEVER leave them
behind and NEVER turn them in to the front desk when you check out of a
room. They will not charge you for the card.

Information courtesy of: Sergeant K. Jorge,
Detective Sergeant,
Pasadena Police Dept.
--

KarlSr©

Old October 24th, 2003, 12:24 AM
JB

Karl Sigerist Sr© wrote in
:

[...]

The danger is identity theft. As with any responsible credit card,
you're only liable for $50 worth of purchases if it's misused.
Old October 24th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Jumbo

Hi,

Maybe it would be accurate to say after "WHEN YOU TRAVEL"...in USA.

USA is the most nosiest country of the world and I know it very well, I
lived in the US for 10 years and that is why or at least one of the first
reason for so many problems of Theft Identities.
Records of anything and everything about people life for most of the time no
reason but just in case they need it ( they don't know when they will need
it if ever but just in case);-)
USA is really the Big Brother who want to know everything about you

Beside that I totally agree with you and don't mistake me thinking that I do
not like America...my wife and my 2 kids are US citizens and we cannot wait
to go back when our kids will have learn to speak fluent French.

Now, I myself work for the hotel industry in France and we do too use
magnetic cards to access our rooms but we do not have any information
embedded onto the magnetic strip beside the code for the lock affected the a
room (not a room number but a code with no reference to a room )

Phil Jumbo

Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:56 AM
Bluesea

"Karl Sigerist Sr©" wrote in message

: WHEN YOU TRAVEL--- HOTEL SUGGESTION FROM A DETECTIVE

snip

According to Snopes, it's a false warning:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp

--
~~Bluesea~~