What is my best option?

Old June 25th, 2004, 01:21 AM
MC

Default What is my best option?

I am taking a trip from UK at the end of July for 2 weeks. I have two
options.

First Option:

Gatwick - Houston(Stay 1 week) - New Orleans(Stay 1 week) - Houston -
Gatwick. This is with BA (Houston/New Orleans return with Continental). As
I am a BA FF member at Silver tier this would be beneficial to me by gaining
more miles (on the BA legs). However, Continental will not check my bags
through to Gatwick on my return from New Orleans as they not of the same
alliance and I will therefore have the bother to reclaim baggage and check
in
again with BA at Houston.

Option Two:

Heathrow - Chicago - Houston(Stay 1 week) - New Orleans(Stay 1 week) -
Chicago - Heathrow. All legs are with AA. The AA is a tad more expensive
but I will have the extra legroom. However, even though AA are One World
members I will not be able to gain FF miles with my BA FF membership.

What is the opinion of other experienced travellers as to what option I
would be better off going for.

Also, if I go for the AA option, can I still use the AA Admirals Club on my
BA Exec club silver (saphire) status. If so what lounges can I use at
airports (such as Houston) where there is no Admirals Club lounge.

Regards

MC

Old June 25th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Jonathan Smith

"MC" wrote in message ...
I am taking a trip from UK at the end of July for 2 weeks. I have two
options.

First Option:

Gatwick - Houston(Stay 1 week) - New Orleans(Stay 1 week) - Houston -
Gatwick. This is with BA (Houston/New Orleans return with Continental). As
I am a BA FF member at Silver tier this would be beneficial to me by gaining
more miles (on the BA legs). However, Continental will not check my bags
through to Gatwick on my return from New Orleans as they not of the same
alliance and I will therefore have the bother to reclaim baggage and check
in
again with BA at Houston.

I find this difficult to believe. Certainly BA and Continental have
an interline baggage agreement.

Option Two:

Heathrow - Chicago - Houston(Stay 1 week) - New Orleans(Stay 1 week) -
Chicago - Heathrow. All legs are with AA. The AA is a tad more expensive
but I will have the extra legroom. However, even though AA are One World
members I will not be able to gain FF miles with my BA FF membership.

What is the opinion of other experienced travellers as to what option I
would be better off going for.

Also, if I go for the AA option, can I still use the AA Admirals Club on my
BA Exec club silver (saphire) status. If so what lounges can I use at
airports (such as Houston) where there is no Admirals Club lounge.

Likely none.

Regards

MC

Go for the miles and double check about the bags.

js
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
(Jonathan Smith) wrote:

"MC" wrote in message
I am taking a trip from UK at the end of July for 2 weeks. I have two
options.

First Option:

Gatwick - Houston(Stay 1 week) - New Orleans(Stay 1 week) - Houston -
Gatwick. This is with BA (Houston/New Orleans return with Continental).
As
I am a BA FF member at Silver tier this would be beneficial to me by
gaining
more miles (on the BA legs). However, Continental will not check my bags
through to Gatwick on my return from New Orleans as they not of the same
alliance and I will therefore have the bother to reclaim baggage and check
in
again with BA at Houston.

I find this difficult to believe. Certainly BA and Continental have
an interline baggage agreement.

BA is reportedly severing interline agreements with non-partner (oneworld
& codeshare).

Option Two:

Heathrow - Chicago - Houston(Stay 1 week) - New Orleans(Stay 1 week) -
Chicago - Heathrow. All legs are with AA. The AA is a tad more expensive
but I will have the extra legroom. However, even though AA are One World
members I will not be able to gain FF miles with my BA FF membership.

you can, but just not on the LHR-ORD-LHR flights.

Old June 26th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Miss L. Toe

Option Two:

Heathrow - Chicago - Houston(Stay 1 week) - New Orleans(Stay 1 week) -
Chicago - Heathrow. All legs are with AA. The AA is a tad more

expensive
but I will have the extra legroom. However, even though AA are One

World
members I will not be able to gain FF miles with my BA FF membership.

you can, but just not on the LHR-ORD-LHR flights.

But watch out you won't get any on the cheaper AA internal tickets.

What is the opinion of other experienced travellers as to what option

would be better off going for.

Go for the miles and double check about the bags.

Agreed - go for the miles, you'll forget about the flights and bags soon
enough.
(and the chance of a free upgrade having BA status).