Hawaii recommendations for 2 week stay? Maui and [??]

Old January 14th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Caveat

"Greg Mossman" wrote:

"Caveat" wrote in message
.. .

Oahu is the air hub, and most flights are into and out of Honolulu
Airport. There are direct flights from the mainland to Hilo on the Big
Island, as well as Maui, however. Savvy travelers will try to arrange
a trip from the mainland into Hilo, but out of Honolulu. With a
stopover on Maui, they get a nice 3-island circuit tour. Unfortunately
flights to Kauai are usually separate out-and-back trips from
Honolulu. But most of would say that it's worth it :-).

Hilo? Divers would do much better flying direct to Kona. American, United,
and Aloha all have nonstops from the mainland direct to Kona.

That's an option obviously. But the OP said he wanted to see
volcanoes. If it were me, I'd fly into Hilo, tour the National Park,
then go on directly to Kona. They could then fly out of Kona to
whichever island is selected as a second choice.

And you're wrong about Kauai too, of course. United flies there nonstop
from LAX and Oakland.

I said *usually.* And if one wishes to see two islands (as is the case
here), if they flew directly into Lihue from the mainland, that still
would require a separate flight from Kauai to whatever island. The
going and coming options from the mainland often limit choices --
depending upon the starting city, the airline's connection options,
and the added costs of freelancing flights if money is no object.

There are lots of ways to do the connections.

Old January 14th, 2005, 09:53 PM
eeo

"Bob Myers" wrote in message

"eeo" wrote in message
news
As for what other Island to do? No choice: the Big Island. Right now the
Volcano isn't just erupting but it's flowing into the sea.

Is it, again? When we were just there (Dec. 19-24, then went to Maui
for Christmas), there was no flow reaching the sea - all that was visible
were some rather small flows up the hill, a bit inland from the last
actual "at the water" activity. Sure sorry we missed it if it HAS made
it back now....

Last I read, just a week ago. But you do bring up the point that these
things change. Plan on going to the volcano. It's worth the trip. If
you're lucky, the lava will be flowing into the see. If not, it's still
worth the trip.

eeo

Old January 16th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Todd H.

"eeo" writes:

[tremendous advice snipped]

My god this thread rocks. You all have been VERY helpful. Thanks so
much for taking the time to give all of this informed and hugely
helpful advice!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Joe

I went to Hawaii last year for the first time.

I read everything, including a hawaii book. All indicators were to
stay off Oahu and Honolulu. U..scary traffic, scary city..scary etc.

I really wanted to see Waikiki and the North Shore. Against all advise
I went to Oahu for a week.

Guess what....all of the negative advises were a pile of feces.

I loved Honolulu, the japanese influence, all the friendly people, the
very orderly traffic and thew waikiki surfing every morning was
great.

I advise you, go to Oahu and you will enjoy it. There are so much to
see and do and not do if you want to. In relation to traffic ..... I
saw traffic but was smart enough

Some epeople think they know better and they do not.

Guess what, I also went to Maui, and I enjoy it very much also.

But side by side, BOTH island were beautiful in their own way. I
would go back anytime to Oahu.

Looking forward to go this year to the Big Island and Kauai. Just
because I want to see different things, but would be very happy to
stay at Honolulu again for a few days. Even did scuba diving at Oahu
and also was great.

Happy travels.

On 13 Jan 2005 14:54:35 -0600, (Todd H.) wrote:

Greetings,

I'm looking for some recommendations to narrow down plans on a 2-stop
itinerary, 2 hotels, and dive operators for a trip we're pondering
Hawaii in March for a 2 week stay. At this point, I'm not even sure
the best place to fly into! From what I've read and investigated,
about all I have it narrowed down to is "you'll really like Maui"
"skip Honoloulou-you've got enough of that big city crap in Chicago,"
and I think we'd enjoy staying week 1 and week 2 in different places,
and above all else this trip should be relaxing.

We're both early 30-somethings, and pretty active. We've been to the
Carribbean and Thailand in the past. Having the beach or water close
at hand for snorkeling is a priority, and we will be looking to dive
oh... say, 4 or 5 days over the course of our 2 weeks. I've got about
25 dives under my belt over the past 7 years and my SO was certified
last year, so we won't be looking for adrenaline filled diving or
anything. :-)

Our last vacation was way overpacked on a go go go itinerary, so the
m.o. for this trip is "relaxing." For me that involves planting my
hiney near a large body of water in the sun, snorkeling, and some
diving. If there's beach volleyball to be had that's a pleasant
bonus. I wanna see the volcanoes, maybe some kayaking, maybe rent a
car and drive around the island. And I think I'd like to pick up camp
and move only once during the stay (so, I guess i'm looking for 2
hotels, one in Maui somewhere, and one on another island..unless
inter-island transport is too much of a pain).

We don't have money to burn by any stretch, but I'm also willing to
pay to be in a place that's clean and not run down. I've got a mental
idea of wanting to stay under $225 a night but I've also not looked
enough to whether that's terribly realistic.

I'd welcome any recommendations to narrow it down some! Thanks for
any experiences you can share!

Best Regards,

Old January 16th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Alan Street

In article , eeo
wrote:

€ Hi,

€ I feel I should weigh in on this one since I live on Oahu, am a diver, and
€ have been to, and dove off all the major islands in Hawaii.

€ Maui is nice. Go there and have a good time. Get a condo. There are lots of
€ them to be had at very reasonable prices. Make sure you get one with a
€ kitchen and washer/dryer. You'll save some bucks by not eating out at every
€ meal, and have to pack a whole heck of a lot less clothes. Go to the
€ aquarium. http://www.mauioceancenter.com/ Go there before you go diving.
€ It's one thing to listen to the divemaster talk about the fish you might see
€ but quite another to stand in front of them and read about them. It will
€ make your dives much more interesting.

€ Who to dive with? Lahina Divers is a good, respectable, cattle boat.
http://www.lahainadivers.com/

I would agree with the cattleboat description, but after experiencing
"Capt. Alain" I would never recommend this shop to anyone. A nasty
little divemaster who was constantly tapping his tank with a metal rod,
herding his flock and scolding anyone who dared to stray. The
quintessential cattleboat experience.

Alan
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Holier Than Thou

"Alan Street" wrote in message

I would agree with the cattleboat description, but after experiencing
"Capt. Alain" I would never recommend this shop to anyone. A nasty
little divemaster who was constantly tapping his tank with a metal rod,
herding his flock and scolding anyone who dared to stray. The
quintessential cattleboat experience.

Sounds like you and I had the same guy. Lahaina Divers has always been a
good operator for us, except, the last time we used them. And what you
describe is just what happened to us. Very annoying but just one
experience.