From janitors to managers, Miami airport employees are watching you

Old September 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.politics.bush,uk.politics.misc
Rome

Default From janitors to managers, Miami airport employees are watching you

airport vigilantes wrote:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...fla-news-miami
From janitors to managers, Miami airport employees are watching you

By Ken Kaye
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
September 6, 2006

Passengers at Miami International Airport soon will be scrutinized by
many sets of eyes, beyond federal security officers and police.

MIA is to become the first airport in the nation where aviation
employees, from janitors to senior-level managers, will receive
behavior recognition training to spot suspicious people or potential
terrorists.

"Every employee who works around airport goes to the bathroom and goes
to lunch, and wherever they are, they're going to be trained to
recognize behavior that is suspicious," airport spokesman Greg Chin
said Tuesday.

Initially, about 1,600 Miami-Dade Aviation Department employees will
receive four hours of training, starting Thursday. The first class
will include 50 to 75 upper level administrators.

Eventually, the course will be offered to 35,000 airport employees,
including those who work for airlines, skycap services and various
vendors, Chin said.

"The aim is to have as many eyes and ears in the airport as possible,"
he said.

About 88,000 passengers come and go from Miami International each day.

Miami-Dade County police officers, and specifically those under the
airport's incident containment team, will be the course instructors.
Those officers already have been trained by New Age Security Solutions
of Washington, D.C., Chin said.

Rafi Ron, president of that firm, is the former security director for
Ben Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel, and pioneered
training employees to recognize potentially dangerous behavior.

"This is not profiling," said airport spokesman Marc Henderson.
"You're looking for patterns that would be out of the ordinary."

The airport is undertaking the training program without prompting from
the Transportation Security Administration, said Lauren Stover, MIA's
Assistant Aviation Director of Security and Communications.

"It's independent of the TSA," she said. "It was an initiative that
the police and I wanted to move forward on as an additional layer of
security."

Great, as if they weren't rude enough already, now they're going to be
sitting in the stalls watching us with their hand held parascope.

Release the well-intensioned dragons!

-ROME

Old September 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.politics.bush,uk.politics.misc
Mike T.

"Every employee who works around airport goes to the bathroom and goes
to lunch, and wherever they are, they're going to be trained to
recognize behavior that is suspicious," airport spokesman Greg Chin
said Tuesday.

Great, as if they weren't rude enough already, now they're going to be
sitting in the stalls watching us with their hand held parascope.

Release the well-intensioned dragons!

-ROME

I know you were speaking sarcastically. However, this is a true story from
THIRTY YEARS AGO:

I went to Washington, D.C. It was a vacation, believe it or not. (not my
first choice, but I was there) At one point, we stopped by a local shopping
mall in Washington, D.C. This mall looked from the outside and inside like
any one of thousands of urban shopping malls that you will find all over the
United States. A couple of large anchor stores, lots of little stores, the
multiplex movie theater, food court, etc. While I was at the mall, I got
the urge to go to the bathroom, REALLY BAD. Unfortunately, I didn't just
have to ****, this was going to be a sit-down type maneuver. So I ran
around the mall following signs to the restroom, trying hard to hold it
until I finally found the Mens room. I was quite relieved to spot the mens
room door, as I really needed to take a dump by that point REALLY BADLY.
Anyway, I burst into the mens room, dashed to the nearest stall, and then
stopped, puzzled. There was no door on the stall. In fact, there was no
door on any stall. Then I happened to glance up and on the opposite wall,
facing the stalls, was a series of windows, each one centered in the doorway
of a stall with no door on it. Through one of the windows, I could see a
young man in an adjacent room, staring down into one of the stalls.

Amazingly, I didn't take a dump that day, and I couldn't take a dump at all
until I got home a couple days later. I wish I'd made this up. But it is
absolutely true. I'm talking about something that happened in 1980, plus or
minus a year or two. (don't remember the exact year, but it was most of
thirty years ago) -Dave

Old September 7th, 2006, 09:18 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.politics.bush,uk.politics.misc
Dave Frightens Me

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:11:23 -0400, "Mike T." wrote:

[...]

It was part of a short-lived cost saving scheme to ensure patrons only
take 2 bits of paper.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com