5 or 6 character PNR codes

Old September 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

Default 5 or 6 character PNR codes

Jules wrote:

I'm off to the US tomorrow on an Air India flight - I figured I'd
attempt to re-confirm my reservation via their website. I just discovered
though that the PNR given by my travel agent (and, importantly, that's on
the actual tickets) is 6 characters long - but Air India's website tells
me that a PNR should be only 5 characters long (and hence rejects it)

Your agent probably used one of the global distribution systems (ie Sabre).
Those systems have used 6 character PNRs for more years than I can remember. If
AI really uses 5 character PNRs, it would be listed in the reservation details,
separate from the reservation system PNR.

That said, its been around 20 years since I've seen an airline request a a
formal re-confirm. As long as the flight details are still current, you should
be fine.
Old September 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jules

I'm off to the US tomorrow on an Air India flight - I figured I'd
attempt to re-confirm my reservation via their website. I just discovered
though that the PNR given by my travel agent (and, importantly, that's on
the actual tickets) is 6 characters long - but Air India's website tells
me that a PNR should be only 5 characters long (and hence rejects it)

Is their website just broken? :-) (Annoyingly they don't seem to maintain
a phone system so I can simply call them!)

I'm not bothered really; I mean I have the tickets in my hand and I don't
think I've ever "done the right thing" and re-confirmed a flight the day
before booking anyway (and have never had problems). I'm just curious as
to why one code is 6 chars in length (which according to google
searches seems to be the norm) but airindia.com only expects 5 - is
there some magic way of converting between the two?

cheers & happy flying

Jules

Old September 7th, 2006, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

Rick Blaine wrote:

Jules wrote:

I'm off to the US tomorrow on an Air India flight - I figured I'd
attempt to re-confirm my reservation via their website. I just discovered
though that the PNR given by my travel agent (and, importantly, that's on
the actual tickets) is 6 characters long - but Air India's website tells
me that a PNR should be only 5 characters long (and hence rejects it)

Your agent probably used one of the global distribution systems (ie Sabre).
Those systems have used 6 character PNRs for more years than I can remember. If
AI really uses 5 character PNRs, it would be listed in the reservation details,
separate from the reservation system PNR.

That said, its been around 20 years since I've seen an airline request a a
formal re-confirm. As long as the flight details are still current, you should
be fine.

WARNING.. some airlines will cancel your reservations if you fail to
reconfirm.
Old September 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
ant[_6_]

mrtravel wrote:

WARNING.. some airlines will cancel your reservations if you fail to
reconfirm.

Which ones?

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old September 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

"ant" wrote:

Which ones?

Precisely. mttravel hasn't travelled much if he thinks reconfirms are required
as a matter of course. I haven't seen them required internationally in almost 20
years.
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

Rick Blaine wrote:
"ant" wrote:

Which ones?

Precisely. mttravel hasn't travelled much if he thinks reconfirms are required
as a matter of course. I haven't seen them required internationally in almost 20
years.

I didn't say they were a matter of course, I said SOME airlines still
require them. If you don't know about your specific airline, call them,
or check their website.
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

http://indian-airlines.nic.in/script...servation.aspx

Old September 10th, 2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air
ant[_6_]

Rick Blaine wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

I didn't say they were a matter of course, I said SOME airlines
still require them. If you don't know about your specific
airline, call them, or check their website.

http://indian-airlines.nic.in/script...servation.aspx

Fair enough!

yeah, he wins. I'd like ot know if any airline I'm ever likely to fly wants
reconfirmations though.