Train travel through South Thailand - how worried should I be?

Old August 29th, 2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default Train travel through South Thailand - how worried should I be?

My partner and I are intending to be travelling from Bangkok to Kuala
Lumpur by train in February 2008. We're going to be on a tight enough
schedule that we will not be stopping, apart from changing trains in
Butterworth, between the two; we will be passing through Hat Yai,
though - the only route as far as I know.

The FCO says that all non-critical travel to or through Southern
Thailand should be avoided, but I'm not currently very worried about
travelling (on one train) through the western and of Sangkhla. Should
I be?

Cheers - Adam...

Old August 29th, 2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On 29 Aug, 17:16, "Jan" wrote:
wrote:

-8- snip -8-
The FCO says that all non-critical travel to or through Southern
Thailand should be avoided, but I'm not currently very worried about
travelling (on one train) through the western and of Sangkhla. Should
I be?

Cheers - Adam...

As you are on a really tight schedule, have you considered flying direct ?
AirAsia will have some cheap fares.
Another alternative would be to fly Bangkok- Penang again with AirAsia, then
pick up the train from Butterworth to KL

Hi Jan,

We are specifically avoiding air travel for this journey and hopefully
won't need to resort to a plane. Thanks, though...

Cheers - Adam...

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Webb[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
My partner and I are intending to be travelling from Bangkok to Kuala
Lumpur by train in February 2008. We're going to be on a tight enough
schedule that we will not be stopping, apart from changing trains in
Butterworth, between the two; we will be passing through Hat Yai,
though - the only route as far as I know.

The FCO says that all non-critical travel to or through Southern
Thailand should be avoided, but I'm not currently very worried about
travelling (on one train) through the western and of Sangkhla. Should
I be?

Cheers - Adam...

Its hard to see you getting into trouble on a train trip through Southern
Thailand. Whilst this area has a substantial problem with Islamic terrorism,
it is largely directed against the Thai Government and not Westerners as
such. There is a one in a million chance that the terrorists could attack
the train, and you being hurt. There is probably a one in a hundred thousand
chance of a plane crashing or a car accident on the same route. I really
wouldn't worry about it all.

Old August 30th, 2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Aug 29, 10:18 pm, wrote:
My partner and I are intending to be travelling from Bangkok to Kuala
Lumpur by train in February 2008. We're going to be on a tight enough
schedule that we will not be stopping, apart from changing trains in
Butterworth, between the two; we will be passing through Hat Yai,
though - the only route as far as I know.

The FCO says that all non-critical travel to or through Southern
Thailand should be avoided, but I'm not currently very worried about
travelling (on one train) through the western and of Sangkhla. Should
I be?

No.

No place is completely safe. Hat Yai is more dangerous than some
places and less dangerous than others. You can't let fear of the
Islamic nut cases alter your life.

I've been to Hat Yai half a dozen times in the past year or so and
never felt in danger.

Old August 30th, 2007, 09:33 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On 29 Aug, 23:52, "Peter Webb"
wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

-8- snip -8-
The FCO says that all non-critical travel to or through Southern
Thailand should be avoided, but I'm not currently very worried about
travelling (on one train) through the western and of Sangkhla. Should
I be?

Cheers - Adam...

Its hard to see you getting into trouble on a train trip through Southern
Thailand. Whilst this area has a substantial problem with Islamic terrorism,
it is largely directed against the Thai Government and not Westerners as
such. There is a one in a million chance that the terrorists could attack
the train, and you being hurt. There is probably a one in a hundred thousand
chance of a plane crashing or a car accident on the same route. I really
wouldn't worry about it all.

Thanks Peter - that was pretty much my thinking, but I thought it was
worth asking.

Old August 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On 30 Aug, 02:36, Tchiowa wrote:
On Aug 29, 10:18 pm, wrote:

-8- snip -8-
The FCO says that all non-critical travel to or through Southern
Thailand should be avoided, but I'm not currently very worried about
travelling (on one train) through the western and of Sangkhla. Should
I be?

No.

No place is completely safe. Hat Yai is more dangerous than some
places and less dangerous than others. You can't let fear of the
Islamic nut cases alter your life.

I've been to Hat Yai half a dozen times in the past year or so and
never felt in danger.

Thanks Tchiowa - I'm not really bothered, but I thought it was worth
asking and hearing from someone who's been there recently is good.

Cheers - Adam...