Madrid to San Sebastian by train?

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Kevin

Default Madrid to San Sebastian by train?

Is the extra cost of first class worth the extra money for this journey? I
think it is about 7 hours on the train.
What do you get in first class on the trains on this route?
Options are "Talgo" and "Intercity."

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Jordi

Kevin wrote:
Is the extra cost of first class worth the extra money for this

journey? I
think it is in first class on the trains on this route?
Options are "Talgo" and "Intercity."

I would not bother to purchase 1st class on a day train (unless it is
an AVE, Alaris or Euromed) just wider seat and less people in (2+1
instead of 2+2), in a night train I certainly would.

Talgos tend to be newer tabout 7 hours on the train.
What do you gethan Intercity, btw, but I have never been on that

particular route.

J.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:46 PM
P.L.Guillemin

"Kevin" a écrit dans le message de
Is the extra cost of first class worth the extra money for this journey?

think it is about 7 hours on the train.
What do you get in first class on the trains on this route?
Options are "Talgo" and "Intercity."

On Talgo III, there is little difference. Preferente is even somehow
substandard, with 2+2 seating.

Seats are actually the same in both classes (steering and reclinable). The
only difference lies in seat upholstering (Green in Preferente, Blue in
Turista) and the seat pitch (1/3 larger in Preferente).

On Class 448 (Intercity), there is conversely more difference, and the price
gap is more justified. Preferente seats are still arranged in 2+2 but they
recline, unlike those in Turista, which are fixed and more basic.

If you want something better on that route, travel Talgo III + Talgo 7
(Altaria), via Pamplona. Won't be faster, but accommodation will be better,
albeit deerer...

Talgo 530:

San Sebastian: 10.45
Pampluna: 12.32

EUR 13.5 in Turista and EUR 17.5 in Preferente (little difference in
accommodation)

(Or take the 10.00 Coach of Continental Auto, arriving at Pamplona at 11.45,
for EUR 5.6...)

Altaria 607:

Pampluna: 14.50
Madrid-Atocha: 18.38
EUR 46.5 in Turista and EUR 71.5 in Preferente. Both classes are very
comfortable, but Preferente features 2+1 seating, with catering, press, VIP
lounges...

This service runs in part on the Madrid-Lerida HSL, at 200km/h-125mph.

Best regards

Phil

Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:42 PM
Kevin

"P.L.Guillemin" wrote in message

[...]

We would then be stuck in Pamplona since there is no train out of Pamplona
to San Sebastian until 18:30 and we would not get into town in time to pick
up our rental car before the rental office closes.

The only possible advantage would be if we could stop in Pamplona and
reserve a balcony rental for San Fermin in advance of the arrival of the
crowds, take the train out that evening then drive back to Pamplona a few
days later for San Fermin.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
Nige

[...]

But who was suggesting taking a train from Pamplona? Surely a bus would be
better ? they are regular and take about one hour costs 5.79
But can you give precise details of your rental car? And address you wish to
collect from as well as time office closes .

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:57 PM
P.L.Guillemin

Sorry, I don't completely understand your plans to rent a car...

Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Kevin

"P.L.Guillemin" wrote in message
Sorry, I don't completely understand your plans to rent a car...

We plan to visit Madrid then San Sebastian, Pamplona and Bilbao.
Since there are no rooms available in Pamplona during San Fermines, we will
simply stay in San Sebastian and commute to Pamplona in the early morning
hours for one day of San Fermin festivities, then drive back to San
Sebastian that evening and use the car for sightseeing around the coast and
traveling between San Sebastian and Bilbao the next few days.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Kevin schrieb:

We would then be stuck in Pamplona since there is no train out of Pamplona
to San Sebastian until 18:30 and we would not get into town in time to pick
up our rental car before the rental office closes.

Okay. Get intercity 203.
http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/hjhir140.jsp?&T=00203&G=1&ID=s&F=2005-02-01

Regards, ULF