Vienna ~~~~ Day trips Prague? Budapest?

Old February 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Seltzer

Default Vienna ~~~~ Day trips Prague? Budapest?

I have a seven night Marriott certificate that I will be using in Vienna. I
have heard that Prague is the most beautiful city in the region. I looked at
day trips from Vienna but it seems that the 14 hour bus tours takes 11
hours to come and go with only 3 hours in Prague.

I looked at the trains but they also take 5 hours each way. Air is expensive
and according to viamichelin the drive is also 4 hours long each way plus
possible wait to cross the borders.

I can do an overnighter in Prague to spread out the trip, but then I will be
checked into two different hotels at the same time with the Marriott
certificate for Vienna.

Is the overnight trip worth it? Is Prague really a city not to be missed? Or
will we have plenty to do in the Vienna area without covering so much time
moving around? Is Budapest any easier to get in or out of? Salzburg is a
definite in my plans.

By the way, I am also using American Airline miles so I am flying from
California to Paris. My itinerary right now is 7 nights in Vienna with 4
nights in Paris on the way back. I have traveled to Europe 5 times, but this
is our first trip to Austria and France.

Thanks... Jim

Old February 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"Jim Seltzer" ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

I would spend a few days in Prague and less days in Vienna.

you will definetely need 3 full days in Prague.. while InVienna 3 days are
more than enough

the same applies to Budapest. you will definetely need 2 to 3 full days
there.

of course. it depends on what you like or dislike

Prague is also the less expensive town . If I were you. I would fly from
paris to Prague or Budapest.. and fly back from one of these two towns.
leaving Vienna in the middle.
Yes you will need 3 to 4 hours either to Prague or Budapest from Vienna. of
course, Prague is a little more far away from Budapest.. if Salzburg is a
must,
I would rather fly from Paris to Salzburg, from Salzburg to Linz Ceske
Budejovice ( Budweis.. where the Budweiser comes from ) Prague Vienna
Budapest. back to Paris.

But I guess yr schedule is too tight to visit all these towns.
you will need at least 2 days in Salzburg.

Old February 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

On Feb 9, 11:53 am, "Jim Seltzer" wrote:
I have a seven night Marriott certificate that I will be using in Vienna. I
have heard that Prague is the most beautiful city in the region. I looked at
day trips from Vienna but it seems that the 14 hour bus tours takes 11
hours to come and go with only 3 hours in Prague.

I wouldn't bother doing that. Spend a minimum of three days there or
save it for a future trip.

I looked at the trains but they also take 5 hours each way. Air is expensive
and according to viamichelin the drive is also 4 hours long each way plus
possible wait to cross the borders.

Have you looked at Bratislava? Close to Vienna, and can be seen
reasonably in 1-2 days.

I can do an overnighter in Prague to spread out the trip, but then I will be
checked into two different hotels at the same time with the Marriott
certificate for Vienna.

Would the cost of two nights in an inexpensive Prague hotel be a huge
issue for you? I think Prague is definitely worthwhile - if you have
the time to appreciate it. Will this be your only trip to Europe in
the forseeable future, or could you plan to see Prague another time
when you wouldn't be rushed?

Is the overnight trip worth it? Is Prague really a city not to be missed? Or
will we have plenty to do in the Vienna area without covering so much time
moving around? Is Budapest any easier to get in or out of? Salzburg is a
definite in my plans.

You will have more than enough to see and do in and around Vienna and
Salzburg in one week.

Old February 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

tile wrote:

[]
I would spend a few days in Prague and less days in Vienna.

you will definetely need 3 full days in Prague.. while InVienna 3 days are
more than enough

the same applies to Budapest. you will definetely need 2 to 3 full days
there.

of course. it depends on what you like or dislike

I've never been to Prague (I have to the other two) so I'm interested-
what is it that makes you feel Vienna is worth less time? I found it a
wonderful city on many levels.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Iceman wrote:

On Feb 9, 11:53 am, "Jim Seltzer" wrote:
I have a seven night Marriott certificate that I will be using in Vienna. I
have heard that Prague is the most beautiful city in the region. I looked at
day trips from Vienna but it seems that the 14 hour bus tours takes 11
hours to come and go with only 3 hours in Prague.

I wouldn't bother doing that. Spend a minimum of three days there or
save it for a future trip.

I looked at the trains but they also take 5 hours each way. Air is expensive
and according to viamichelin the drive is also 4 hours long each way plus
possible wait to cross the borders.

Have you looked at Bratislava? Close to Vienna, and can be seen
reasonably in 1-2 days.

Agreed- 1-2 days if fine for Bratislava- it's really quite small.

You will have more than enough to see and do in and around Vienna and
Salzburg in one week.

I advise against a 'day trip' to Baden, when in Vienna. Of the potential
day trips we chose, I think we took the short straw! It's not very
interesting IMO.

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

Forget it for a day trip and concentrate on Vienna
The other cities are indeed wonderul, but they need too long a trip and they
are worth much more than a day.

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

If you find your pals interesting then he might be tempted to visit Baden

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...

Old February 10th, 2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Dwerryhouse

"Jim Seltzer" writes:

Is the overnight trip worth it? Is Prague really a city not to be missed? Or
will we have plenty to do in the Vienna area without covering so much time
moving around? Is Budapest any easier to get in or out of? Salzburg is a
definite in my plans.

Prague is well worth the trip - but you definitely need to spend a few nights
there. Overnight won't be enough and a day trip is really out of the
question - you'll spend all your time travelling. Same goes for Budapest.

You could get to Bratislava and back in a day easily, but it's probably better
to spend the night there.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Paul's travel photos:
Old February 10th, 2007, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Brian Rusten

"Jim Seltzer" wrote in message
I have a seven night Marriott certificate that I will be using in Vienna. I
have heard that Prague is the most beautiful city in the region. I looked
at day trips from Vienna but it seems that the 14 hour bus tours takes 11
hours to come and go with only 3 hours in Prague.

(snip)

This may be a silly question, but did you ever consider staying at the
Marriott in Prague instead?

Old February 10th, 2007, 06:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Seltzer

"Brian Rusten" wrote in message

"Jim Seltzer" wrote in message
I have a seven night Marriott certificate that I will be using in Vienna.
I have heard that Prague is the most beautiful city in the region. I
looked at day trips from Vienna but it seems that the 14 hour bus tours
takes 11 hours to come and go with only 3 hours in Prague.

(snip)

This may be a silly question, but did you ever consider staying at the
Marriott in Prague instead?

No...... We have been planning the trip to Vienna for two or three years. My
ideal vacation is arriving at a big city, taking everything out of my
suitcase, and really get to know the city well. I don't like all this one
day here, two days there business. I just keep hearing that Prague is very
beautiful, and the distance seems short enough..... Thanks...... Jim