Vienna ~~~~ Day trips Prague? Budapest?

Old February 10th, 2007, 07:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

Default Vienna ~~~~ Day trips Prague? Budapest?

"Jim Seltzer" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Brian Rusten" wrote in message

"Jim Seltzer" wrote in message
I have a seven night Marriott certificate that I will be using in Vienna.
I have heard that Prague is the most beautiful city in the region. I
looked at day trips from Vienna but it seems that the 14 hour bus tours
takes 11 hours to come and go with only 3 hours in Prague.

(snip)

This may be a silly question, but did you ever consider staying at the
Marriott in Prague instead?

No...... We have been planning the trip to Vienna for two or three years.
My ideal vacation is arriving at a big city, taking everything out of my
suitcase, and really get to know the city well. I don't like all this one
day here, two days there business. I just keep hearing that Prague is very
beautiful, and the distance seems short enough..... Thanks...... Jim

i think i rate the nicest towns inEurope as follows

Rome

Paris

Prague

St Petersburg

of course. everybody will have other opinions..
but if you rate the twons according to the number of days you need to spend
there to discover at least the monuments..
then my grading is almost exact.
while you will need at least a week to explore St .Petersburg

3 days in Prague are enough. it is a big town, with pedestrian zones where
the tourists are. pulic transports funxtion very well and prices are still
reasonable for europe.

most hotels boast special rates. sometimes you will find a 4 or 5 stars
hotel for as little as 70 eur.

around castle there are a lot of excursions to be done

from the castle of Karlstein, just a few kms out of town, to the town and
silver mines of Kutna Hora.. ( about one hour away )

Do not throw tomatoes at me. but Vienna can be visited in one day,....

Old February 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"tile" kirjoitti
. ..

3 days in Prague are enough. it is a big town, with pedestrian zones
where the tourists are. pulic transports funxtion very well and prices are
still reasonable for europe.

most hotels boast special rates. sometimes you will find a 4 or 5 stars
hotel for as little as 70 eur.

around castle there are a lot of excursions to be done

Once I was approaching the castle from east and a group of tourists was
studying a pompous summerhouse nearby. They asked me whether the building is
the royal castle..... Well, I pointed them the way there.

Old February 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

tile wrote:

[]
Do not throw tomatoes at me. but Vienna can be visited in one day,....

I'm not throwing tomatoes, but you can visit any city in one day. Just
the art museums alone in Vienna would occupy me for several days though,
and if I didn't visit one of them, I could spend several days doing
other things without getting bored.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on Sat, 10 Feb 2007 07:48:29 GMT, "tile"
writted:

Do not throw tomatoes at me. but Vienna can be visited in one day,....

In fact. Kinda pleasant, well organised, and reasonably priced, but
just a bit ordinary.

It certainly doesn't have the magic (if that's the right word) of
Prague.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Helmut Uttenthaler

Jim Seltzer wrote:
I have a seven night Marriott certificate that I will be using in
Vienna. I have heard that Prague is the most beautiful city in the
region. I looked at day trips from Vienna but it seems that the 14
hour bus tours takes 11 hours to come and go with only 3 hours in
Prague.

I looked at the trains but they also take 5 hours each way.

You might consider taking the overnight train (sleeping car):

Vienna (Sudbahnhof) 22:33 - Prague main station 7:05

The train that leaves at 22:33 has two sleeping cars going to Prague. One
continues to Dresden and arrives at Prague in the middle of the night. I
recommend the other sleeping car, which terminates at Prague, this goes over
another route and arrives at Prague at a civilized time (7:05).

You arrive in the morning and you can travel back in the afternoon:

Prague (Holesovice station) 17:35 - Vienna (Sudbahnhof) 22:03

Of course a day is too short to SEE Prague, but if you just want to get an
impression - why not.

covering so much time moving around? Is Budapest any easier to get
in or out of?

It's only some minutes less then 3 hours by train to Budapest.

--

Helmut

Old February 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

On Feb 10, 2:48 am, "tile" wrote:
"Jim Seltzer" ha scritto nel ...

"Brian Rusten" wrote in message
u...

[...]

I don't get why everyone is bashing Vienna. It has one of Europe's
best art museums and many other worthwhile museums, one of the most
beautiful palaces, a spectacular treasury, lots of 1900-era
architecture, and many atmospheric cafes. It's not trendy in the same
way as places like Barcelona or Berlin, and it won't become a stag
party destination any time soon, but for someone interested in
history, art, architecture or classical music it is definitely worth a
visit.

Old February 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Iceman wrote:

[]
I don't get why everyone is bashing Vienna.

Generally, Vienna gets pretty good reviews here though.

It has one of Europe's
best art museums and many other worthwhile museums, one of the most
beautiful palaces, a spectacular treasury, lots of 1900-era
architecture, and many atmospheric cafes. It's not trendy in the same
way as places like Barcelona or Berlin, and it won't become a stag
party destination any time soon, but for someone interested in
history, art, architecture or classical music it is definitely worth a
visit.

I agree with you- with perhaps the proviso that IMO it's not the
classical music centre it once was. Still interesting stuff, for sure,
but not what it used to be.

Old February 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Let is be knownst that on Sat, 10 Feb 2007 07:48:29 GMT, "tile"
writted:

Do not throw tomatoes at me. but Vienna can be visited in one day,....

In fact. Kinda pleasant, well organised, and reasonably priced, but
just a bit ordinary.

It certainly doesn't have the magic (if that's the right word) of
Prague.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--

Ah, but the history.....if that is one's interest, you do need time.

Old February 10th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
d.g.s.

Deeply Filled Mortician wrote:

Is there a corner of Europe that isn't smothered in history?

Milton Keynes. Louvain-la-Neuve. Volendam.
--
dgs