Merry Christmas.....

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default Merry Christmas.....

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 09:19:30 -0500, Poetic Justice wrote in post :
:

gotten

gotten? !
:-)

--
Tim C.
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:43:46 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote in
post : :

Erick T. Barkhuis wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque):

Stephen Ellenson wrote:
..... to rec.travel.europe, one and all!
Also (since we are a European travel group):

Joyeux Noél, Frohe Weinachten [...]
...and since it's Christmas, we don't mind spelling errors.
? Blame my various phrase books - I copied their spelling.

In that case, you probably want to return those phrase books and demand
your money back.

Care to elaborate? The only one I was unsure of was the German (I have
always used "fröliche Weinachten", but assumed Berlitz knew better.)

A bit out of date, as "Weihnachten" finished yesterday...but it's the
difference between "happy" and "merry". There isn't just one Christmas
greeting you know. You can say what you like. Schöne, sinnliche...

--
Tim C.
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 02:56:44 -0800 (PST), Surreyman wrote in post :
:

On 25 Dec, 18:18, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Stephen Ellenson wrote:
..... to rec.travel.europe, one and all!

Also (since we are a European travel group):

Joyeux Noél, Frohe Weinachten, Buon Natale, Feliz Navidad ....(etc.)

'N Ddedwydd Nadolig!

Surreyman

Diolch!

--
Tim C.
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Tim C.:

wrote in post : :

Care to elaborate? The only one I was unsure of was the German (I
have always used "fröliche Weinachten", but assumed Berlitz knew
better.)

A bit out of date, as "Weihnachten" finished yesterday...but it's the
difference between "happy" and "merry". There isn't just one
Christmas greeting you know. You can say what you like. Schöne,
sinnliche...

Same to you, Tim.
Actually, it was not really the phrase, but rather the spelling I was
bickering about. "Fröliche Weinachten" appears to be typed on a
keyboard which has its letter 'h' damaged, because someone poured
Glüwein [:-)] into it.

--
Erick
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On 7 Jan 2010 09:03:39 GMT, Erick T. Barkhuis wrote in post :
:

Tim C.:

wrote in post : :

Care to elaborate? The only one I was unsure of was the German (I
have always used "fröliche Weinachten", but assumed Berlitz knew
better.)

A bit out of date, as "Weihnachten" finished yesterday...but it's the
difference between "happy" and "merry". There isn't just one
Christmas greeting you know. You can say what you like. Schöne,
sinnliche...

Same to you, Tim.
Actually, it was not really the phrase, but rather the spelling I was
bickering about. "Fröliche Weinachten" appears to be typed on a
keyboard which has its letter 'h' damaged, because someone poured
Glüwein [:-)] into it.

lol! It appens, you know. It's tat time of year. :-)

--
Tim C.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:38:04 +1100, Terry wrote in post :
.au :

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 19:35:43 +1100, Tim C. wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 09:19:30 -0500, Poetic Justice wrote in post :
:

gotten

gotten? !
:-)

We don't pick 'taters, we don't pick gotten....

I had to read that three times before I got it :-)
--
Tim C.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Tim C. wrote;

gotten? !
****:-)

But we have gotten that word from you people:-). Regards, Walter

www.miketodd.net/encyc/gotten.htm

"Gotten

Just seeing the word is enough to set the hair of some British English
speakers on end.
Yet, despite the many claims that it is an Americanism, it is most
definitely of British origin and the Oxford English Dictionary traces
its first use to the 4th century.

Since then, it has been used by many notable British English writers,
including Shakespeare, Bacon and Pope and it was one of a number of
words that were transported across the Atlantic with the settlers.
But then it slipped out of use in British English, along with such
words as fall for "autumn" (British English having opted to adopt the
French word) and guess in the sense of "think".

This has led to the less-informed criticising it as a "heinous
Americanism", despite its British origin - yet I'm sure such people
quite happily use words and phrases like belittle, cold snap, bark up
the wrong tree and lengthy, despite these being true Americanisms.

The problem, as I see it, is that British English has failed to come to
terms with the verb "get". Pedagogues have, for the past century or so,
treated its derivative, got with some disdain, largely because it was
heavily overused.
And once gotten was eschewed, the only choice for the past participle
was got, which just made matters worse.

The Americans seem to have tamed the verb, sometimes missing it out
altogether (which is in stark contrast to their making sure that that is
included in sentences such as "this is the book that I bought", whereas
British English would more commonly say "this is the book I bought").
Mark Twain pointed out to an Englishman once: You say, "I haven't got
any stockings on", "I haven't got any memory", "I haven't got any money
in my purse"; we usually say "I haven't any stockings on", "I haven't
any memory", "I haven't any money in my purse".

Yet Americans do generally maintain the past and preterite participles,
and in so doing have helped ease the discomfort of got and allowed it to
resume its place in the various meanings of acquired, received or
become.

Curiously, one of the reasons why gotten got (!) such a bad press in
British English was John Galsworthy's failure to actually understand how
it was used in America, believing (and writing) that all Americans used
gotten instead of got on all occasions, which is simply not correct.
In "Maid In Waiting", for instance, Galsworthy puts the words "I fear
you've gotten a grouch against me, Miss Cherrell" into the mouth of
Professor Hallorsen, yet no educated American would ever have used it in
this way, unless they specifically meant that they had "acquired" a
grouch (which is not the case here).
And this abuse of the word must have rankled even more, and reinforced
the prejudice against the word.

But don't think for one minute that Americans are universally
comfortable with gotten, for even on the other side of the Atlantic it
is, these days, seen as somewhat vulgar and not to be used in proper
speech or formal writing.

Despite our hatred of the word, British English does preserve it in
aspic ... in ill-gotten. And then there are the parallel constructions
of forgotten and the rather archaic begotten.

Personally, I would be quite happy to see the word reappear in British
English. It would help take the strain off the over-worked "got", and
allow some flexibility in construction.
However, the fact that some British English speakers go apoplectic when
gotten is used, I don't see it happening any day soon".

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old January 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:46:31 -0500, Poetic Justice wrote in post :
:

gotten? !
****:-)

But we have gotten that word from you people:-).

I know. And we moved on.
--
Tim C.