Mexican Coast Scuba Diving

Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Mexican Coast Scuba Diving

We're going on a Panama Canal cruise in December that stops at Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa and Huatulco.

I was wondering if anyone did any scuba diving in any of these ports?

Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

JS wrote:
We're going on a Panama Canal cruise in December that stops at Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa and Huatulco.

I was wondering if anyone did any scuba diving in any of these ports?

Not I, when I did the Mexican Reviera cruises.

It's a strong consensus among scuba divers that those ports are not
worth diving, compared to the Mexican coast in the East.

If you do a google advanced groups search, with

keyword "cabo san lucas" and author "Greg Mossman", you'll find
his posts in 17 threads in rec.scuba.locations since 2000.

keywood "puerto vallarta" and author "Greg Mossman", you'll find
his post in 8 threads, and at least a couple of them included
Ixtapa and Huatulco.

-- Bob.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

A lousy dive is better than no dive at all. That being said, Puerto
Vallarta diving was not spectacular. The visibility wasn't great and
there wasn't a lot of coral or really interesting fish.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Old November 25th, 2005, 04:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "Reef Fish" :

wrote:
A lousy dive is better than no dive at all.

That is debatable, but I am in no mood for a rhetorical debate now. :-)

Let's see. Sunday is supposed to be another 85 degree day. Water
temp is 70 down to 60 ft, viz around 8 ft. I'll do 40-45 minutes, get
out and someone will have a cup of hot chocolate for me. Then it's
time to burn some meat. The diving will probably be fair at best, but
the people are all great.

That being said, Puerto
Vallarta diving was not spectacular. The visibility wasn't great and
there wasn't a lot of coral or really interesting fish.

But Cabo San Lucas is only a step and a throw away from some
diving with whale sharks which is a very interesting fish. But that's
out of reach of the cruise ship divers though.

Some great diving up Baja in the Gulf, but it's all at least an hour's
drive before you even get in the boat.

-- Bob.

--
dillon

Science is when a beautiful theory is killed by
an ugly fact.