3 Days till OZ

Old August 19th, 2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mindy

Default 3 Days till OZ

3 days and counting.....we arrive in Sidney Saturday and then a flight up to
Surfers Paradise where we will be staying at the Radisson Resort for 8
days....a long flight on Qantas 747-400...never have flown such a long
distance....not sure of protocol concerning carry on luggage...can we pack
stuff and retrieve items during flight, say warmer clothing or DVD player
and medications....also is there some type of 12 volt outlet at
seats...flying economy .....stupid questions but am a newbie....have Bose
noise canceling head phones....anything else I should prepare for on this
long flight ? any good suggestions for jet lag...will be flying from Dallas
TX time zone.....am not nervous of flying just aware of recent no no's of
banned items carried on....

Surfers Paradise, any good suggestions on things to do...we plan to take the
whale sight seeing boats out.....we are not interested in the big theme park
stuff...been there done that here in the states...more interested in
culture, art, animals and nature.....we are 50 and enjoy cultural
things...any must dine at places ?....we know that we may never again visit
the land of OZ, it was a quirk we even are able to do this adventure ....we
cant see everything I know but seek to enjoy Aussie life as much as we
can....heard there are good beer brewed, looking forward to that....

Guess my only fear is driving on the wrong side of the road.....and maybe
too excited to sleep well on the long flight....thanks to all and sorry for
the silly questions.....I look forward to cool days, we have been in the
100's for 30 some odd days here in Texas....

Phil

Old August 20th, 2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
ant[_5_]

Mindy wrote:
3 days and counting.....we arrive in Sidney Saturday and then a
flight up to Surfers Paradise where we will be staying at the
Radisson Resort for 8 days....a long flight on Qantas
747-400...never have flown such a long distance.

always amused at Americans moaning about the long flights they hvae taken...
Chicago to Florida! Oh, the horror.

...not sure of
protocol concerning carry on luggage...can we pack stuff and retrieve
items during flight, say warmer clothing or DVD player and
medications...

You put bags in the overhead bins. If you have an aisle seat, they are easy
to get at. If not, you might have to get the people next to you to get up so
you can get out. Too many of these requests and you will not be popular.
You'd be better off putting stuff you're likely to need in a smaller bag (a
plastic bag, something minimalist) and keeping it in the seatback pouch in
front of you, or in the footwell under the seat in front.

.also is there some type of 12 volt outlet at
seats...flying economy ...

I doubt it. I've never seen them.

am not nervous of flying just
aware of recent no no's of banned items carried on....

the american rules (which will apply to you) are no liquids or pastes.

Surfers Paradise, any good suggestions on things to do...we plan to
take the whale sight seeing boats out.....we are not interested in
the big theme park stuff...been there done that here in the
states...more interested in culture, art, animals and nature...

Did you decide on surfer's paradise yourself, or did a travel agent advise
you? Because Surfers epitomises "theme park stuff", it's a concrete tourist
trap. Australia abounds in nature, animals, culture and art but one place
you'll find the least of it is Surfers. Their idea of nature and animals is
Curumbin bird park sanctuary, which is actually quite good, but the
highlight is you stand there with some seed and get covered in birds.

You might want to investigate where you can get to from surfers to get
something a bit more what you are looking for. Inland in the hinterland is
nice. north and south of Surfers is some nice smaller places, a bit less
tourist-ised. Place that reminded me most of surfers in the US was Venice
Beach in LA.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old August 20th, 2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_1_]

"Mindy" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Don't tell those Aussies they drive on the 'wrong' side. It's the other
side.You might start the whole damn lot of them switching over. Shouldn't be
a problem though - as long as they do it all at the same time.

Old August 20th, 2006, 02:25 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

Carry ons - Right now there are unusual restrictions on what may or may not
be carried applying to all flights to and from the USA. Simce they're set by
the USA TSA that's who'll be able to tell you what's in and what's out.

It is a loooong flight to Austr, especially from the East. Drink plenty of
water - and get up and stroll about the plane when you can. Do the 'in-seat'
exercises they show you on the video just after boarding.

Surfers Paradise is a major resort area. There are 3 major theme parks
nearby. Beaches are superb. A short drive inland from Surfers is an area
rich in bush walks, green valleys, waterfalls, wineries etc. All within an
hour on good roads. Binna Burra; O'Reillys; Natural Arch; Canungra;
Beaudesert; Mount Tamborine.

Some useful sites:

http://www.oreillys.com.au/content/ors_splash.asp?
http://www.binnaburralodge.com.au/
http://www.gold-coast.net/nationalpa...turalarch.html
http://www.albertriverwines.com.au/
http://www.bigvolcano.com.au/natural/natparks.htm
http://www.bigvolcano.com.au/stories...g/aborigin.htm
http://www.amonline.net.au/ahu/keep/keep09.htm

Have fun!! And ignore the doomsayers who rubbish Surfers Paradise; most of
them never having been there at all; and certainly never explored what the
area offers just a short drive behind the beaches.

Sometimes promoted as 'The Green behind the Gold'

http://www.mynrma.com.au/gold_coast_theh.asp

Have a great time!!

nk.net...

Old August 20th, 2006, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mel[_2_]

"Mindy" wrote in message
nk.net...
3 days and counting.....we arrive in Sidney Saturday and then a flight up
to Surfers Paradise where we will be staying at the Radisson Resort for 8
days....a long flight on Qantas 747-400...never have flown such a long
distance....not sure of protocol concerning carry on luggage...can we pack
stuff and retrieve items during flight, say warmer clothing or DVD player
and medications....also is there some type of 12 volt outlet at
seats...flying economy .....stupid questions but am a newbie....have Bose
noise canceling head phones....anything else I should prepare for on this
long flight ? any good suggestions for jet lag...will be flying from
Dallas TX time zone.....am not nervous of flying just aware of recent no
no's of banned items carried on....

Surfers Paradise, any good suggestions on things to do

Hi Phil. IMHO, Surfers Paradise is a ghastly place. The sun no longer shines
there because of all the highrises practically abutting each other, casting
shadows on the beach. However I don't recall a Radisson at Surfers. The only
Radisson I'm aware of is at Palm Meadows which means that you are close to
Surfers if you wish to go there or can avoid it if it's not to your liking.

The beaches are infinitely better at other regions on the Gold Coast. Buses
run up and down the GC on a regular basis.

..we plan to take the whale sight seeing boats out.....we are not
interested in the big theme park stuff...been there done that here in the
states...more interested in culture, art, animals and nature.....we are 50
and enjoy cultural things.

Other posters have mentioned the Gold Coast hinterland. There are some magic
spots there, all easily accessible from the coast. If you decide on
O'Reilly's, I suggest you take a bus trip rather than drive yourselves: the
road up the mountain has a hairpin bend every few hundred yards. I've been
told by American visitors that it's a nightmare navigating it on the 'other'
side of the road.

Re arts, have a look at this site
http://www.gcac.com.au/

You'll be only a 35 minute drive from the centre of Brisbane where the
cultural precinct lies.
http://www.visitsouthbank.com.au/
Here's the booking agent for the Qld Perfoming Arts Centre
http://www2.qtix.com.au/home/

I look forward to cool days, we have been in the 100's for 30 some odd
days here in Texas....

I hope 86 is cool enough for you.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...8/s1719256.htm

Have a great trip.
Mel

Old August 20th, 2006, 11:56 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected][_1_]

Hey, you dumb ****, it's "Sydney", not "Sidney."
Surfers Paradise where we will be staying at the Radisson Resort for 8
days....a long flight on Qantas 747-400...never have flown such a long
distance....not sure of protocol concerning carry on luggage...can we pack
stuff and retrieve items during flight, say warmer clothing or DVD player
and medications....also is there some type of 12 volt outlet at
seats...flying economy .....stupid questions but am a newbie...

Painfully obvious.

FOAD. Next time, stay home in West Virginia.
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mindy

thanks Mel for the reply....yes the Radisson is in Palm Meadows on a golf
course....we didn't book this for golf reasons but that was the only
available place in the south Pacific with an opening this time of
season.....we took what we could get....Gold Coast hinterland I understand
is close by the resort....86 degrees, thanks for the heads up, now I know
what to leave behind and pack shorts....that would be fine considering we
are forecasted another week of 100 degree weather.....thanks for the links
will surely enjoy our stay I am sure....

"Mel" wrote in message

nk.net...

Old August 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mindy

yes our flight is AA out of DFW to LAX.....then onto SYD.....we are memebers
of Qantas and AA frequent flyer clubs....thanks for your very informative
reply

wrote:

3 days and counting.....we arrive in Sidney

Please get used to seeing SYDNEY!

Saturday and then a flight up to Surfers Paradise where we will be
staying at the Radisson Resort for 8
days....a long flight on Qantas 747-400...never have flown such a long
distance....not sure of protocol concerning carry on luggage...

Refer to the website of the airline you are travelling with for the
latest updates as they have been changing.

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/usTravelAdvice?int_cam=30
[Last updated 17 August 2006 7.00pm AEST]

Several items still remain banned from carryon luggage however you can
check them in your checked luggage but with the likes of creams and
liquids, it pays to double bag them as they can ooze...

Also, refer to the TSA's website at www.tsa.gov

Take note of check-in times as it is taking longer!

Also double check whether your bags are tagged all the way through
i.e. LAX-SYD or just to LAX where you will have to claim them and
recheck them.

stuff and retrieve items during flight, say warmer clothing or DVD player
and medications....also is there some type of 12 volt outlet at
seats...flying economy ....

Sorry economy has no power points - you'll have to upgrade to biz for
that!
Seats have 12 channel audio ports.

www.seatguru.com the scroll down to Qantas.
Has details on seats, baggage allowances etc.

stupid questions but am a newbie....have Bose
noise canceling head phones....anything else I should prepare for on this
long flight ? any good suggestions for jet lag...

www.jetlag.co.nz - I've used these and definitely recommend them.
It shouldn't be so bad on the flight down but coming back it can kick
you more.

will be flying from Dallas TX time zone...

Are you flying out of DFW with AA?

..am not nervous of flying just aware of recent no no's of
banned items carried on....
Guess my only fear is driving on the wrong side of the road.....and maybe
too excited to sleep well on the long flight...

You should sleep ok.
Just remember when you board at LAX to ensure you have a pillow and
blanket on your seat - if not ask a flight attendant immediately.

As for 'something warmer' etc. Yes, as already pointed out, if you
make too many hits at the overhead, especially on an over-night flight
when people are trying to sleep, you will not be popular!

Pack a small bag with some items in a plastic bag and pop inside your
carryon. Pull it out before you throw your carryon in the
overhead.

Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids i.e. water, fruit juice.

As most items such as moisturisers have been banned from cabin
luggage, hopefully Qantas is supplying some in the toilets!

Just one last thing - if you are using a audio player - please
remember the passenger next to you! Even though you think they
cannot hear anything, there is nothing worse than being stuck next to
someone and hearing screechy noises coming from their earphones!

.thanks to all and sorry for
the silly questions.....I look forward to cool days, we have been in the
100's for 30 some odd days here in Texas....

Yep, the weather's been a killer hasn't it!
Bringing loads of snakes out looking for water.
Oh for WINTER!

Have a good one!

Phil

Are you a member of any frequent flier programme?

Cath