Identification rules for Hotels in Canada

Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:12 AM posted to alt.travel.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel
Sapphyre

Default Identification rules for Hotels in Canada

wrote:
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:57:04 -0230, "apshawnhunt"
wrote:

There is no official rule...most places do not ask.

Every place I have stayed at has asked for ID. They're all hotel
chains, not individual enterprises.

What are these hotels which you claim do not ask?

In Canada, the Holiday Inn Select (Toronto Airport) and the Marriott in
Ottawa did not ask... but I reserved online with a credit card and a
Hotel Club Number (for the appropriate hotel), and applied a CAA
discount. When I showed up at the counter, I handed my club card, my
credit card (which was used to reserve the room), and the CAA card. I
didn't show any photo ID.

In the US, all Motel 6's I stayed at required ID. The Sands Regency in
Reno required ID at check in (even though the room was prepaid, and I
had the confirmation), and all the independant chains required ID and
took my license number along with my car plate number. Some were
chains, others were independent one of a kind motels... All under 50 a
night (the kind crooks use, and pay cash, no credit card required). US
Motels seem very interested in the safety of their guests and want to
know who's checking in, what they did not seem to be concerned with was
taking ID from my friend, who came in with me at check-in, and was
sharing the room with me. I guess that's because ultimately I'm
responsible.

S.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:38 AM posted to alt.travel.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel
Mark Brader

In the US, all Motel 6's I stayed at required ID. The Sands Regency in
Reno required ID at check in (even though the room was prepaid, and I
had the confirmation), and all the independant chains required ID and
took my license number along with my car plate number. Some were
chains, others were independent one of a kind motels... All under
50 a night (the kind crooks use, and pay cash...)

On a road trip this summer my wife and I stayed at 16 hotels and motels
in 5 US states from Colorado to California, mostly in small towns,
mostly in the $75-$100 range, a few higher or lower. 8 or 9 of them
were Comfort Inns (my current favorite for value of the larger chains),
4 or 5 Best Western, 2 independents, 1 Quality. Most nights we made
reservations guaranteed with my Visa card; sometimes we didn't

At check-in I always presented the Visa card. For most of the places
that was all they wanted. (Well, I typically had to give the car's
license plate number, but that doesn't identify me.) Maybe 4 or 5
places asked for photo ID. (On another phase of the trip we stayed at
a Hyatt Regency in Chicago, but I don't remember for sure whether they
asked for ID or not.)

I don't believe I've ever been asked for ID when checking into
a hotel or motel in Canada (with a credit card); I think I would
have remembered precisely because it was unusual. But it's been
a few years since I last traveled within Canada at all, so my
experience, even if correctly remembered, may not be relevant.
--
Mark Brader | "I wish to inform you now that the square peg is now
Toronto | in square whole and can be voguish for that your

Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:20 PM posted to alt.travel.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel
Sapphyre

That might make the difference... I never presented my credit card for
any of my reservations. I think there might have been one or two motels
that didn't require my ID, because I made an online reservation and
paid a credit card deposit, but as memory serves, from Montana to
California, I was showing my passport at every motel.

I asked my partner, who's stayed at far more hotels in Canada than I
have, and he says no, it's not common practice to show photo ID. But
showing a credit card is always common practice up here. There are many
hotel chains here that will NOT rent to someone without a credit card.
Something to do with "insurance policy". This was ten years ago when I
couldn't stay anywhere "nice" because I didn't have a Visa (although I
intended to pay cash any way). Photo ID didn't matter to the check-in
desk, the credit card was the clincher.

S.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM posted to alt.travel.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel
sechumlib

On 2006-09-03 09:20:03 -0400, "Sapphyre" said:

That might make the difference... I never presented my credit card for
any of my reservations. I think there might have been one or two motels
that didn't require my ID, because I made an online reservation and
paid a credit card deposit, but as memory serves, from Montana to
California, I was showing my passport at every motel.

I asked my partner, who's stayed at far more hotels in Canada than I
have, and he says no, it's not common practice to show photo ID. But
showing a credit card is always common practice up here. There are many
hotel chains here that will NOT rent to someone without a credit card.
Something to do with "insurance policy". This was ten years ago when I
couldn't stay anywhere "nice" because I didn't have a Visa (although I
intended to pay cash any way). Photo ID didn't matter to the check-in
desk, the credit card was the clincher.

We've traveled LOTS in Canada and have NEVER been asked for a photo ID.

Old September 4th, 2006, 05:36 AM posted to alt.travel.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel
Calif Bill

oups.com...

Mark Brader wrote:
On a road trip this summer my wife and I stayed at 16 hotels and motels
in 5 US states from Colorado to California, mostly in small towns,
mostly in the $75-$100 range, a few higher or lower. 8 or 9 of them
were Comfort Inns (my current favorite for value of the larger chains),
4 or 5 Best Western, 2 independents, 1 Quality. Most nights we made
reservations guaranteed with my Visa card; sometimes we didn't

At check-in I always presented the Visa card. For most of the places
that was all they wanted. (Well, I typically had to give the car's
license plate number, but that doesn't identify me.) Maybe 4 or 5
places asked for photo ID. (On another phase of the trip we stayed at
a Hyatt Regency in Chicago, but I don't remember for sure whether they
asked for ID or not.)

I don't believe I've ever been asked for ID when checking into
a hotel or motel in Canada (with a credit card); I think I would
have remembered precisely because it was unusual. But it's been
a few years since I last traveled within Canada at all, so my
experience, even if correctly remembered, may not be relevant.
--
Mark Brader | "I wish to inform you now that the square peg is now
Toronto | in square whole and can be voguish for that your
| payment is being processed..." --seen in spam

They want a credit card as there have been to many rooms rented for cash,
where when they leave the room is trashed, or TV and other items are
missing.