3 Weeks in Western Australia

Old January 31st, 2007, 10:14 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default 3 Weeks in Western Australia

Dear All

I'm planning on heading out to WA in September with my girlfriend
(flying into Perth).

We have three weeks. I worked/travelled around Australia for a year,
back in 1999 and never made it over there so am keen to explore.

Scuba diving is a focus, as is relaxing and generally getting away
from busyness in the UK!

It's actually going to be our honeymoon so needs to be memorable -
I've been singing Australia's praises for years to her!

I really fancy renting a campervan as I could never afford one as a
backbacker. My initial thoughts were explore a bit south of Perth,
then head up to Exmouth and back to Perth (for a few days in a hotel
before flying home).

However I am concerned distance wise this may be a bit hectic a
schedule. Ideally I would leave the van in Exmouth and fly back to
Perth, but this does not seem to be an option with the rental people
I've investigated so far????...............

I'd appreciate any input on distances/travel time, what's the weather
going to be like, hire companies etc etc

Thanks for your time

David

Old January 31st, 2007, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
The Aussie Viking

Hi there,

Exmouth is a MUST.... You could easily spend a week there alone. It can be
driven in 2 (long) days if you are pushed for time. If 3 days are possible,
do 1st stop Kalbarri and check out the Gorges of the Murchison. And make
sure you get to see sunset against the cliffs and have your camera ready.
Day 1, 580Km (7 hrs travelling time.

Day 2, travel to Monkey Mia (Shark Bay/Denham). Stay in Denham, much
cheaper! Awesome fish and chips, and be greeted by a great sunset (Monkey
Mia is other side of the peninsular, you wouldn't get the sunset piccies
there. 380Km's (5 hrs travelling time). The dolphins are fed normally about
7.30am, 8am and 8.30am. It's all over by 9, unless you go out on a boat
(Save that for Exmouth) If you catch the first feeding, you can watch all 3
for the same admission cost, and leave pronto for Exmouth. A good run will
get you there by dark. 700Km's, (8 1/2 hrs travelling time.)

Exmouth - Make sure you get to swim with the Whalesharks, and unforgettable
experience. Some businesses have underwater photographers to video your day
in the water. (3 Island Marine for one), The day's outing includes coral
diving and a buffet lunch. Also check out Charles Knife Road (drive along a
ridge with sheer drops on both sides) and Shothole canyon (The reverse,
drive along the Valley.) Plan one of your days to go to Yardie creek and
take the river cruise. Ordinarily, I'd say a week at Exmouth, but there is
still lots to see.

Next must is Karajini National Park which is iron-ore gorges, and very
pretty. It's a day's travel inland. 600K's, 8 Hrs travel. Allow Min of 2
days to look at the pick of them. Most gorges are around Dales Campground
(Eastern End), so that's a must, and possibly do a trip to Savannah
Campground to do the Western ones.

Coming out, a days travel to Coral bay 620K's, about 8 1/2 hours. You should
get there before dark, and sunsets there are special. Very pretty place but
not a lot to do out of the water. But you can enjoy some more Scuba diving
before heading South again.

If you are up for a long day/shared driving, I'd make Jurien Bay 950Km's, 11
1/2 hours. That would put you close to Perth, and let you see the Pinnacles.
And still nice Scuba diving there.

You could go through Perth to Busselton next. 500Km's, 6 1/2 hours. There is
a patrol boat diving wreck there, and the area is lovely. And you are a
stone's throw from Margaret River wine region, which is world famous. There
is also a lot to see coast-wise from Caves Road, which has some nice caves
to see. The South West is much more populated, so much smaller trips.

Time permitting, you could go to Augusta 100K's, 1 1/2 hours, which is a
nice overnight spot on the Blackwood River.

From there, through to Walpole 250K's, 3 Hours, and see the Giant Tingle
Trees, unique to a small patch in SW Australia. It's only 120K's (1 1/2 hrs)
to Albany, and then come up to Perth through Pemberton and Manjimup.

The RAC (Royal AUto Club) has lots of accomodation information, and can be
used to plan your trips, showing points of interest along the way. This is a
link to the Journey Planner http://rac.com.au/go/travel/journey-planner It
will also tell you what to see on the way.

Sorry it's long winded, but we Holiday in the cooler Months to
Exmouth/Pilbara, and hotter Months down South. So we know our way around
pretty good. Enjoy your Holiday.

The Aussie Viking.

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Thanks for the detailed post I have printed it off and will make ref
to it when planning my trip in more detai.

I guess in an ideal world I would be able to pick up the campervan in
Perth on arrival in Australia, head south, then north to Exmouth,
leave it there then fly back to Perth to relax for a few days prior to
flying home. I have not come across a company that will let me do a
one way hire from Perth-Exmouth yet though, anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

David

Old February 8th, 2007, 06:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
The Aussie Viking

Hire cars can't offer the service you ask for because of the distances
involved. For you to leave it at Exmouth, it would cost them 3 days wages
and an airfare to return it. Paying someone for 1 day flying and 2 days
driving.

If they did quote you a figure, it would be huge. Add to that they would
want those 3 days hire costs for not being able to rent it to someone else.