San Fran Sushi

Old February 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.travel.misc
Anonymouse[_3_]

Default San Fran Sushi

Dan Logcher wrote:
thepixelfreak wrote:

Going to San Fran and wondering where the good sushi is downtown.

Hi,

San Francisco sushi was a nice surprise for us...

In the Memphis, Tennessee area we have pretty fair sushi for someplace
hundreds of miles from the closest ocean or sea...

we're the FedEx hub ... so the fish is here pretty quick and the few
quality sushi bars do fedex fish.

but... this affects more than the price of a pair of nigiri

it affects the amount of fish you get too...

in SF I consistently get double the fish I see in middle america for the
same price... and SF isn't noted for being a cheap city (though it can
really be a bargain when compared to destinations where you HAVE to rent
a car).

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.travel.misc
Ken Blake

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:20:22 -0600, Anonymouse
wrote:

Dan Logcher wrote:
thepixelfreak wrote:

Going to San Fran and wondering where the good sushi is downtown.

Hi,

San Francisco sushi was a nice surprise for us...

In the Memphis, Tennessee area we have pretty fair sushi for someplace
hundreds of miles from the closest ocean or sea...

we're the FedEx hub ... so the fish is here pretty quick and the few
quality sushi bars do fedex fish.

but... this affects more than the price of a pair of nigiri

it affects the amount of fish you get too...

in SF I consistently get double the fish I see in middle america for the
same price... and SF isn't noted for being a cheap city (though it can
really be a bargain when compared to destinations where you HAVE to rent
a car).

I've said this here before, but I'll repeat it. More fish isn't
necessarily better. There's a optimum amount of fish to be on nigiri.
If you want more fish and less rice, order sashimi instead of sushi.

There are three problems with two much fish on nigiri:

1. It destroys the balance between fish and rice. It's that balance
that makes sushi sushi.

2. It's very hard to eat. It gets too big to fit into your mouth at
once and it tends to fall apart if you take bites of it.

3. it fills me up too fast. The result is that I get to eat fewer
kinds of sushi, and the variety of different fish is what I most like
about sushi.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.travel.misc
James Silverton[_2_]

Ken wrote on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:03:47 -0700:

?? Dan Logcher wrote:
?? thepixelfreak wrote:
??
[...]

KB I've said this here before, but I'll repeat it. More fish
KB isn't necessarily better. There's a optimum amount of fish
KB to be on nigiri. If you want more fish and less rice, order
KB sashimi instead of sushi.

KB There are three problems with two much fish on nigiri:

KB 1. It destroys the balance between fish and rice. It's that
KB balance that makes sushi sushi.

KB 2. It's very hard to eat. It gets too big to fit into your
KB mouth at once and it tends to fall apart if you take bites
KB of it.

KB 3. it fills me up too fast. The result is that I get to eat
KB fewer kinds of sushi, and the variety of different fish is
KB what I most like about sushi.

Right on, more or less! The only thing is it seems to be the
rice that fills you up!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: