Navigating in Europe: road signs and maps

Old April 4th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Default Navigating in Europe: road signs and maps

Could somebody please point me to a Web site explaining all these
flavors of road navigation signs in Europe (white on green background,
red on white, white on blue, etc) ? Also, Michelin map identifies
intersections by their numbers (white digits in a black ellipse), but
where these numbers can be found on the actual road ?

Would highly appreciate any help.
Old April 4th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Owain

wrote
| Could somebody please point me to a Web site explaining all
| these flavors of road navigation signs in Europe (white on
| green background, red on white, white on blue, etc) ? Also,
| Michelin map identifies intersections by their numbers
| (white digits in a black ellipse), but where these numbers
| can be found on the actual road ?

The directional signs vary slightly between countries, but the warning signs
are fairly standard these days.

For the UK, signs on motorways are white text on blue, and on primary routes
white text on green. White text on brown indicate route information for
tourists, heavy vehicles, etc.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs_index.shtml

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/
http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/arrivealive/ (aimed at young people)

Junction signs on British motorways are white letters on black background,
see
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs06.shtml

Owain

Old April 4th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Kid E. Poole

Sönke Tesch wrote:

wrote:

: Could somebody please point me to a Web site explaining all these
: flavors of road navigation signs in Europe (white on green background,
: red on white, white on blue, etc) ?

Within Germany:

Background - Used for..
blue Autobahn
yellow federal roads (Bundesstraßen, a network of ordinary roads)
white local destinations ("opera" or the like)
brown tourist attractions (well, more or less)
green rarely, in most cases village names

This system is used everywhere. If you travel on the Autobahn and
see a number like "A 123" on yellow back on one of the large, blue
Autobahn directional signs, it points you to an exit to a federal
road of that number.
Likewise, a number like "B 123" on blue back on one of the yellow
federal road signs points to an Autobahn. You might from time to
time see white numbers on a green back; these are European route
numbers ("E 123").

Slight corrections: "A 123" designates an Autobahn, and
"B 123" designates a Bundesstraße (note the initials A and B),
but the alphabetic prefix is not shown on the sign. A black
numeral "10" on a rectangle with a yellow background indicates
the "B10" (Bundesstraße), and a white numeral "8" on a shield
with a blue background (possibly in conjuction with the Autobahn
symbol: a white depiction of an overpass on a blue background)
indicates the "A8" (Autobahn). You won't see the prefix letter
on the sign, but it will be used in speech.

: Also, Michelin map identifies
: intersections by their numbers (white digits in a black ellipse), but
: where these numbers can be found on the actual road ?

At least in Germany on the large signs that announce the next exits as
well as on the exit signs themselves, too. I'd bet that's the same in
any other country.

Regards,
soenk.e

Old April 4th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Mark Hewitt

wrote in message
om...
Could somebody please point me to a Web site explaining all these
flavors of road navigation signs in Europe (white on green background,
red on white, white on blue, etc) ? Also, Michelin map identifies
intersections by their numbers (white digits in a black ellipse), but
where these numbers can be found on the actual road ?

Would highly appreciate any help.

They are not all standard across Europe. Which country/countries are you
visiting?

In the UK-
White on blue background - Motorway
White on green background - A Road
Black on white background - B Road
White on brown background - Tourist Information
Black Camera on white background - Speed Camera ahead!
Black on Yellow background - Road works
White on black background - Info for HGV's
White on red background - Important warning notices
Red on white background - Military

Speed limits and other restrictions are black on white with a red border.
Warnings are the same but triangular.
Direction indicators white on blue background.

Plus a smattering of others. http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk is the full list.

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Marc

wrote in message
om...
Could somebody please point me to a Web site explaining all these
flavors of road navigation signs in Europe (white on green background,
red on white, white on blue, etc) ? Also, Michelin map identifies
intersections by their numbers (white digits in a black ellipse), but
where these numbers can be found on the actual road ?

Would highly appreciate any help.

For the most part, I found it easy to adapt to the road signs. What I had
trouble with are signs that post certain areas as requireing a special
permit. These are often in Historical Sections of towns. These signs are
almost always plain text in the local lanquage. I got tickets in Olomoce,
and Braitslava and almost got one in Brno. Fortunately the fines were not
very large.

Although we invested in excellent maps, They did not clearly indicate these
restricted areas in Bratislava.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Samuel Johnson

Marc

Old April 12th, 2004, 04:05 PM
tim

wrote in message
om...
Could somebody please point me to a Web site explaining all these
flavors of road navigation signs in Europe (white on green background,
red on white, white on blue, etc) ? Also, Michelin map identifies
intersections by their numbers (white digits in a black ellipse), but
where these numbers can be found on the actual road ?

In Germany you are doing really well if you find these numbers.
They rarely occur on the big exit destination boards and can only
sometimes be found on the 300m countdown marker (which is
often too late), many junctions are completely unnumbered.
As you will be driving roads that are new to you, you will have
to lean to navigate without them, IMHO this is a real pain.

tim

Would highly appreciate any help.