Italy again

Old March 30th, 2010, 04:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Italy again

In article
ngr.vans.vg,
Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, poldy wrote:

Maybe it would be best to ferry down to Lecco or Como and then board
the train.

NO, not at all.
There are no ferries (CAR ferries) to Lecco or Como, the ferries are
only at centre-lake connecting Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio or
Cadenabbia.

I guess there are no boats at all to Lecco.

There are boats and hydrofoils to Como, but there is no direct railway
connection between Como and Bergamo, you'd have to go back to Milan (or
to Lecco again but I guess that would be slow).

So THE way is really to catch a train Varenna-Lecco and change to a
Lecco-Bergamo.

OK, I'm using ferry generically, as in any kind of boat.

So this schedule shows a Bellagio-Lecco line but apparently it doesn't
stop at Varenna:

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/ita/c.../nlc_ora_m2a_p
..html

Have to still make up my mind about a car. If it really saved time, it
might be worth it. But if it's a lot of winding, slower roads, maybe
it's more of a chore to drive.