why are we forced to change the clocks twice a year....?

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:03 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Saracene

Default why are we forced to change the clocks twice a year....?

On 28 Mar, 22:02, Saracene wrote:
It's now 23-01. Most people's computers don;t seem to have changed yet.

I changed mine but my post still registers an hour early.
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
The gods have made us mad

"Jogemout" wrote in message
what is the point of this pointless activity ??

I'm not entirely sure - but I think it's something to do with the Scottish
tribes demanding a glimpse of daylight every now and again.

Another example of how we feather-bed them.

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:26 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:39:27 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:07:35 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

Svenne wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:29:48 -0700 (PDT), Jogemout
wrote:

what is the point of this pointless activity ??

Because if you didn't do it your clocks would be out of synch with the
rest of the world.

We are out of sync with almost every country in thw world anyway.

How about Newfoundland?

does that use GMT/BST then?

Newfoundland's time zone is a half hour off everyone else's.

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:41 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Jogemout writes:

what is the point of this pointless activity ??

People think it saves money, although this has never been proved.

It seems intuitively obvious to me that the number of daylight hours does not
change just because one changes the local time, but apparently many people
cannot see that. If DST really had the benefits claimed for it, then logically
we could just advance the clocks by twelve hours and reduce all the costs of
running society to zero. As it is, some places have advanced two or three
hours instead of one in order to save more, or so they believed. At times I
think the number of hours advanced for DST is inversely correlated with the IQ
of the people putting the law into effect.
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:43 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Svenne writes:

Because if you didn't do it your clocks would be out of synch with the
rest of the world.

Since there are many different time zones worldwide, this is inevitable, with
or without DST.
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:45 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Saracene writes:

It's now 23-01. Most people's computers don;t seem to have changed yet.

Most DST changes are programmed to occur at 2 AM local time (i.e., the clock
goes from 1:59 to 3:00, instead of 2:00).
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:45 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Saracene writes:

I changed mine but my post still registers an hour early.

If you are using a recent version of Windows, it will change on its own; you
should not change it manually.
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:49 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Mar 28, 1:29*pm, Jogemout wrote:
what is the point of this pointless activity ??

If you don't change your clock you'll be right again in about 6
months. And who's "forcing" you to change your clock? Are the police
knocking on your door?
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:49 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
PeterL

wrote:

what is the point of this pointless activity ??

Because if you didn't do it your clocks would be out of synch with the
rest of the world.

India doesn't change their clocks.

You want to be in sync with India?

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.

Old March 29th, 2010, 02:51 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Mar 28, 5:43*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Svenne writes:
Because if you didn't do it your clocks would be out of synch with the
rest of the world.

Since there are many different time zones worldwide, this is inevitable, with
or without DST.

He said out of sync, not at the same time.