Palm Springs: Mobility?

Old March 20th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Alexander Kluge

Default Palm Springs: Mobility?

Hello!
I'll have to stay in palm springs for a week. I only need to get to
rancho mirage and back to palm springs (east canyon drive) daily (10mls
single way).

Additionally, I want to vistit Joshua tree NP one day.

My question:

My distinct preference would be public transportation, but the bus
system would require ~2 changes and seems to take at least 1h including
waiting.

Isn't a rented car an overkill as I only need the car twice a day.

So, what would be your preference:
-rent-a-wreck (how cheap are the cheapest rates incl. loss damage
waiver? Any experience with the cathedral city office?)
-taxicab? What price should I expect?
-a *cheap* rented motorscooter, my second preference. Any ideas?
Motorcycle rental companys rather seem to serve the "once-in-a-lifetime"
harley-dream.
-a bike, 10 mls would be barely ok

For JT-NP, I'll rent a car anyhow.

Thank you for any input!

Alexander

Old March 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Alexander Kluge" wrote in
message ...
Hello!
I'll have to stay in palm springs for a week. I only need to get to
rancho mirage and back to palm springs (east canyon drive) daily (10mls
single way).

Additionally, I want to vistit Joshua tree NP one day.

My question:

My distinct preference would be public transportation, but the bus
system would require ~2 changes and seems to take at least 1h including
waiting.

Isn't a rented car an overkill as I only need the car twice a day.

Yes but it may be the cheapest option.

So, what would be your preference:
-rent-a-wreck (how cheap are the cheapest rates incl. loss damage
waiver?

Why not call them and ask, they are the only ones who can
accurately answer that question.

-taxicab? What price should I expect?

This sounds like a decent option, again the company
phone nos are available off the web , call em and ask
what the rates are , I doubt it would cost more than
a couple of euros at most.

-a *cheap* rented motorscooter, my second preference. Any ideas?

I doubt such a thing exists adn even if it does be aware of potential
risks should you have an accident, the mdeical costs would be
horrendous and the odds are your travel insurance excludes
cover for such an event. In short forget it.

Motorcycle rental companys rather seem to serve the "once-in-a-lifetime"
harley-dream.

Yes this would be MUCH more expensive than a car

-a bike, 10 mls would be barely ok

That rather depends on when you are going and how
fit you are, do remember Palm Springs can be rather hotter
than Europe.

Keith

Old March 20th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Alexander Kluge

Keith Willshaw wrote:

Why not call them

A very good idea.

-a *cheap* rented motorscooter, my second preference. Any ideas?

I doubt such a thing exists adn even if it does be aware of potential
risks should you have an accident, the mdeical costs would be
horrendous and the odds are your travel insurance excludes
cover for such an event. In short forget it.

Thanks for the warning.

-a bike, 10 mls would be barely ok

That rather depends on when you are going

End of next week, so temp should ok

Thank you for the information

Alexander

Old March 21st, 2004, 02:00 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Alexander Kluge" wrote:

Hello!
I'll have to stay in palm springs for a week. I only need to get to
rancho mirage and back to palm springs (east canyon drive) daily (10mls
single way).

Additionally, I want to vistit Joshua tree NP one day.

My question:

My distinct preference would be public transportation, but the bus
system would require ~2 changes and seems to take at least 1h including
waiting.

Isn't a rented car an overkill as I only need the car twice a day.

So, what would be your preference:

Rent a car. The only area where I would ever consider going without a
rental car when I visit California is in San Francisco where a car is a
liability. Anywhere else in CA, a rental car is essential for anyone who
values there time enough to want to avoid sitting waiting for buses.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:34 PM
Zeyd M. Ben-Halim

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:37:03 +0100, Alexander Kluge wrote:

Keith Willshaw wrote:

-a bike, 10 mls would be barely ok

That rather depends on when you are going

End of next week, so temp should ok

Thank you for the information

Alexander

It's about 100F today in Palm Springs. It will cool down to 82F by next
weekend, and could be back up to 100 by the time you get there.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:06 PM
Tim J. Johson

Shawn Hearn wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Alexander Kluge" wrote:

Hello!
I'll have to stay in palm springs for a week. I only need to get to
rancho mirage and back to palm springs (east canyon drive) daily (10mls
single way).

Additionally, I want to vistit Joshua tree NP one day.

I lived in PS for a decade. The SunBus really isn't that bad an
option to get from the Airport to RM. And, by far, it is the CHEAPEST
option. Cabs were very high priced.

In 1990, I made the lazy mistake of deciding to catch a cab from the
PS airport to my PS office, which is five minutes away. $24 including
the $3 tip. It would be more now.

I rented a pickup trunk from the Cat City Rent-a-wreck location, oh,
it was about 1991. Went quick and easy. I was very pleased (needed to
haul some dirt).

You can get a Gray line tour to Joshua Tree, I am almost certain...at
least there used to be tours...and it's spring, so they may have
special wildflower tours right now....

If not, you can take the "Jeep Adventure" tour through the foothills
just at the edge of P.S. Very popular and would be a good sub for
JTNP.

SO, my suggestion for cheap is SunBus to Rancho Mirage and Gray Line
tour to JTNP, if they offer one...check out their website.

An alternative would be Rent-a-wreck or Enterprise car rental, which I
always found reasonable in the PS area (and they give out free bottled
water...or at least they used to)
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Alexander Kluge

Tim J. Johson wrote:
I lived in PS for a decade. The SunBus really isn't that bad an
option to get from the Airport to RM. And, by far, it is the CHEAPEST

An alternative would be Rent-a-wreck or Enterprise car rental, which I
always found reasonable in the PS area (and they give out free bottled
water...or at least they used to)

Thank you for your input. Necessary insurances seems to double car
rental prices. Probably I'll rent a car for the NP solely.

Alexander