I'm Backing Down....

Old July 6th, 2004, 09:07 AM
The Reids

Default I'm Backing Down....

Following up to Tim Smith

That said, it is interesting that Italy, of all countries, seems to be
taking the lead in developing traffic-free zones, "slow cities" (and
"slow food"), and utilitarian bicycle riding. If you ever live there,
you'll understand why.

My take is that Italians are passionate about life, be it food or
Ferrari. If you want to eat well outside a restaurant you don't
need a car alongside but you do need fresh ingredients cooked
from scratch.
On the driving front I was rather surprised how inadequate for
the traffic the Italian roads I have used so far have been
(northern half) and how, lets say "spirited", Italian drivers
are.

For a city that's not car free but does not emphasise the car
there is of course Amsterdam.
But tourists tend to get an impression of city centres only.
People here in "travel" often say a car is useless in London. Of
course it is in the central few miles (unless you have tools or
bulky purchases to carry) but go to Totteridge, Bromley or
Richmond and you will see a different city, although still with
pretty reasonable public transport, especially if you want to go
to Central London
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Bob F.

"Gomez Addams" wrote in message
All right. I have a confession to make. I was lying when I said that
all cities in North America, Europe, and around the world were going
car-free. The reason I did that is I wanted to see how you would all react
and I read these different websites that spouted car-free and

environmental
stuff. Stan SD and the other guy's threats to cause my family trouble and

friend that told me lying and imposing my bullcrap on others is wrong made
me see the light. Being a BS artist is a weakness I have. I admit no city

is
going to go car-free and the car-free movement is quite small. So I'll

leave
this newsgroup alone and I'll ask: What city is going car-free and are

there
any car-free cities being built anywhere in the world?

I've heard that most, if not all, harbors, waterways, ponds, lakes, and
fishin' holes in the US are "car-free". Underwater cars may be the
exception, but they are hard to count.

Thanks for the stimulating dialogue, now go back to your cellar apartment in
your mother's house.

Old July 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You forgot about the Boston Duck tour :-)