Ft Myers & Everglades questions

Old January 26th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Default Ft Myers & Everglades questions

Will be a visiting an area of Florida next month that I haven't
previously explored. Will be staying in the Ft Myers area and hope to
visit some of the Everglades with a view to some wildlife & general
photography.

If anyone has done this area, I'd be interested to hear of your views
on what's a must do and what's not so good.

I'm contemplating driving the Tamiami Trail to get there from Miami.
Again has anyone done this route and have any observations to share?

GM
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Lisa M.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 05:51:52 +0000, wrote:

My daughter & I were there just a couple of weeks ago. We took the Tamiami
Trail from Miami to Ft Myers Beach, and back again.

Next month should be a great time to see the wildlife, since its the dry
season and they are concentrating in the pools. We went to the Shark Valley
entrance to the everglades and the alligators & huge birds were right by the
visitor's center. We took the tram tour which we both really liked because
they pointed out more wildlife and gave a lot of good information about the
wildlife and the history of the park.

Tamiami Trail is a good, straight road with speed limits 50-60, but most
people drive much faster, and there's not a lot of traffic. Mostly you drive
along the Everglades and Big Cypress National Preserve, so you'll see lots and
lots of trees and few houses or settlements. BCNP has a visitor's center
right on Tamiami Trail with very friendly staff. They'd be able to tell you
what/where to see & photograph the wildlife.

Along the gulf, near Ft Myers Beach in the Bonita Beach area, is Barefoot
Beach Gopher Tortoise preserve. A nice beach with hiking trails through the
preserve where you can see & photograph the tortoises. The shelling was
really good along there also.

If I had to do it again I'd skip Sanibel Island, especially since it cost $6
to cross the bridge. It's gotten a lot of hype, but really isn't any
different than the rest of the coast. I've heard good reports about the Ding
Darling preserve there, but if you see the Everglades, Big Cypress, and
Barefoot preserve it won't have anything new.

Have a great trip!

Lisa M.

Will be a visiting an area of Florida next month that I haven't
previously explored. Will be staying in the Ft Myers area and hope to
visit some of the Everglades with a view to some wildlife & general
photography.

If anyone has done this area, I'd be interested to hear of your views
on what's a must do and what's not so good.

I'm contemplating driving the Tamiami Trail to get there from Miami.
Again has anyone done this route and have any observations to share?

GM

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. - Grandma Moses

Old January 29th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Everyone failed to mention that Ft. Myers is best known as Thomas
Edisons winter home. There you can tour his gardens, museum and
laboratory. Everglades City is a nice place to explore the Everglades
with boat rides.