Dress code for Florence opera?

Old April 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Mxsmanic wrote:

... and not toss about because he reads 3.10^8 as (3.10)^8 !

A lot of people read it that way, as well as all the computers I use.

So I'm asking you to make a little effort and read it as a number in
scientific notation. Right?

--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Mxsmanic wrote:

300 000 000 is not really equal to 3^8, as the former suggests a great
degree of precision, where the latter is almost certain to be an
approximation.

Both are infinitely precise.

Certainly not. What rockets did you put on orbit?

--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

The exponent is a digit (or series of digits), and if the digit(s) is
not correct, the number changes, so the digit(s) is significant.

In English, it is significant; in mathematics, it is not.

Which mode are we in?

We're supposed to be in mathematics, since Mixi told us about his
astronautoc exploits...
--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Mxsmanic wrote:

I've heard other engineers
comment that French designs usually get the job done, but they tend to
be ten times more complicated than equally functional designs made by
engineers from other countries.

Go and see the inside of a TGV locomotive before you talk nonsense.

--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Mxsmanic wrote:

Are you backing down?

No, I'm being charitable. I suggest that it might not be a path to
follow; and if he persists, that is his choice. It's a disclaimer of
sorts.

OK then, let's follow the discussion.

You're the one making a fool of yourelf by pretending you sent rockets
into "stable orbits" (these are your words).

I'm having a good laugh at reading your answers, so go on! which rockets
did you send, you masked bragger?

--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

dgs wrote:

Of course, these days, when flying can be as cheap as - or cheaper
than - going by bus, the socio-economic distinction's a bit blurred,
isn't it?

It's quite obvious in a terminal like Roissy CDG T3 - which is basically
a hangar, with foot access from the RER station, and which is used by
charters and low-costs.

--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Tim Challenger wrote:

Have you noticed a touch of over familiarity in the way that Stanislas
de Kertanguy communicates with Mixi? Is it a Bepe - Pinocchio
relationship?

Has Stansilas been hired by Miguel for testing purposes?

The money I earn from Mixitesting® I will redistribute in dinners for
rte-ers.

--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

Why are most bus stations slums,but airports built like palaces?
Bus travel, being quite cheap, not particularly comfortable, and not
very fast, is typically considered a means of transport for the lower
economic classes, and the bus stations reflect this. Also, in many
places, the stations are built with no government subsidies, and are
funded out of the bus companies' earnings.

This is different in Turkey. The new generation of inter-city bus
stations they have there (e.g. Bursa, Antalya, Diyarbakir) are as good
as any airport (or considerably better, in that prices for food and
services at a bus station are reasonable while at a Turkish airport
they are insane).

Has Istanbul got one of these modernized bus stations yet? The mad
bazaar-like atmosphere of the old one was unique.

Old April 28th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Karen Selwyn

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Students haven't changed in thousands of years.

But the degree of control they allow their parents to exercise over them
HAS - considerably!

I was at a presentation from a college dean recently in which he
explained that students own their college experience in a legal sense
independent of who is writing the checks. The college cannot legally
send grade reports to Mom and Dad or a whole host of other things that
were considered routine in the 60s when I was a college student.

Karen Selwyn

Old April 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Karen Selwyn

Mxsmanic wrote:

But the degree of control they allow their parents to
exercise over them HAS - considerably!

No, it has not.

You are simply wrong. Your pronouncing something to be so doesn't make
it so. If you're reading your posts in order, you'll see I have already
addressed the legal changes in a college student's status in today's
society.

Karen Selwyn