Dirty Fuel from the Caiguna Roadhouse?

Old September 30th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Mike

Default Dirty Fuel from the Caiguna Roadhouse?

Folks, I'm making this enquiry on behalf of a colleague, recently returned
from a road trip to the Esperance area of WA. The diesel engine of his
vehicle suffered serious damage (several $k for repairs) following the
purchase of dirty fuel, and indications are that this fuel was purchased at
the Caiguna Roadhouse. Not suprisingly, he's keen to recover. Have any other
travellers had similar experiences with fuel bought from this roadhouse?

Mike

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:39 AM
4000 psi

i've heard people using donkey urine to dilute petrol ... i wonder what was
the "additive" this time

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:37 AM
David Springthorpe

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:46:01 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

Folks, I'm making this enquiry on behalf of a colleague, recently returned
from a road trip to the Esperance area of WA. The diesel engine of his
vehicle suffered serious damage (several $k for repairs) following the
purchase of dirty fuel, and indications are that this fuel was purchased at
the Caiguna Roadhouse. Not suprisingly, he's keen to recover. Have any other
travellers had similar experiences with fuel bought from this roadhouse?

Sure he didn't just top it up with petrol instead by mistake, like someone I
know did a couple of months ago.....?

DS
Old October 1st, 2003, 03:27 AM
Roger Martin

"Mike" wrote in message
Folks, I'm making this enquiry on behalf of a colleague, recently returned
from a road trip to the Esperance area of WA. The diesel engine of his
vehicle suffered serious damage (several $k for repairs) following the
purchase of dirty fuel, and indications are that this fuel was purchased

at
the Caiguna Roadhouse. Not suprisingly, he's keen to recover. Have any

other
travellers had similar experiences with fuel bought from this roadhouse?

Mike

If his filters and water separator were in good condition I'm not sure how
dirty fuel would have caused engine damage - my experience is that dirty
fuel clogs the filters and the engine stops.

In recent years there has been some engine damage caused by the introduction
of low sulphur diesel - mainly BP fuel in Queensland when they were trialing
the process. The RACQ has extensive information about it and went into bat
for motorists with damaged fuel pumps.

Contaminated diesel fuel is another matter - tanker delivery drivers often
put the fuel in the wrong hole in the ground, and if they value their job
they probably realise they ve made a mistake and cover it up by juggling the
rest of the delivery - that means more fuel in wrong hole to get the
delivered volumes correct.

The other source of contaminated fuels is the use of fuel tankers to deliver
things like tallow, seed oils and other chemical solvents. And of course the
deliberate adulteration of fuel with waste solvents and flammable chemicals
is still far to common amongst the independent service stations fuel
suppliers.

Its not easy trying to blame a single roadhouse - fuel pump and injector
damage can be done weeks before they fail.

Try also posting to aus.cars

--
bribieisland 4x4 hire com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs

Old October 2nd, 2003, 01:21 AM
Ross

I filled up at Caiguna in April this year. No problems in my Land Rover
Discovery Td5.

From memory the same guy (company) owns the fuel stops across the Nullarbor
except the Hotel-Motel at Eucla and the roadhouse at Balladonia.

The roadhouses with a common owner are therefore : Caiguna, Cocklebiddy,
Madura, Mundrabilla, Border Village, and Nullarbor Roadhouse.

I'm not sure about Penong and I'm pretty sure that the Yalata people run the
one at Yalata Roadhouse.

I haven't heard of anyone getting "dirty fuel" crossing the Nullarbor
before. Funny how a lot of information filters through when you travel

Ross