Break out the bug spray

Old January 24th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Da Parrot-chick

Default Break out the bug spray

Due to the heavy rains of November, the Leeward Islands are facing a bumper
crop of mosquitoes. All that extra rain made for lots of standing water,
prime breeding grounds for mosquitoes. So for travel to Anguilla, Puerto
Rico, St. Martin, the USVI and BVI, etc., make sure you bring plenty of bug
spray, the strongest you can find.

Old January 24th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:07:37 GMT, "Da Parrot-chick"
wrote:

Due to the heavy rains of November, the Leeward Islands are facing a bumper
crop of mosquitoes. All that extra rain made for lots of standing water,
prime breeding grounds for mosquitoes. So for travel to Anguilla, Puerto
Rico, St. Martin, the USVI and BVI, etc., make sure you bring plenty of bug
spray, the strongest you can find.

Right this second, I am chewing on the dorsal fin of a live dolphin,
Skippy.

The Not So Fine Art Of Google - Go To Top Of Thread
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6
Old January 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Ignoring his agents wishes,"Da Parrot-chick" flung open
the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

Due to the heavy rains of November, the Leeward Islands are facing a bumper
crop of mosquitoes. All that extra rain made for lots of standing water,
prime breeding grounds for mosquitoes. So for travel to Anguilla, Puerto
Rico, St. Martin, the USVI and BVI, etc., make sure you bring plenty of bug
spray, the strongest you can find.

spent a week in Anguilla the first week of Jan. Wasn't too bad.
However, back in 96 during the same time period, I counted over 60
bites on my legs alone.

Yes, I agree, bring the strongest bug juice you can find. Typically,
the stuff they sell on the islands is junk.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Charles

In article ,
wrote:

spent a week in Anguilla the first week of Jan. Wasn't too bad.
However, back in 96 during the same time period, I counted over 60
bites on my legs alone.

Luckily I have never had to use bug spray in the Caribbean, but just in
case I pack a couple of small bottles of Repel 100 (95% Deet)
non-aerosol pump insect repellent that has worked well in other areas.

--
Charles
Old January 24th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Some Guy

Da Parrot-chick wrote:

the Leeward Islands are facing a bumper crop of mosquitoes.

Does this include the north coast of Nevis?

Or other parts of Nevis (if so - which parts? Interior?)
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:25 AM
tim

"Da Parrot-chick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Due to the heavy rains of November, the Leeward Islands are facing a

bumper

Please excuse my cluelessness. I see the expression "Leeward Islands" a
lot. What's it mean? What makes an island "leeward"? Thanks.

tim

Old January 25th, 2004, 02:39 AM
jcoulter

"tim" wrote in news:IOFQb.14941$U%5.99836@attbi_s03:

"Da Parrot-chick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Due to the heavy rains of November, the Leeward Islands are facing a

bumper

Please excuse my cluelessness. I see the expression "Leeward Islands" a
lot. What's it mean? What makes an island "leeward"? Thanks.

tim

An island is leeward if it is on the lee or away from the prevailing wind
side.
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Charles

In article IOFQb.14941$U%5.99836@attbi_s03, tim
wrote:

Please excuse my cluelessness. I see the expression "Leeward Islands" a
lot. What's it mean? What makes an island "leeward"? Thanks.

Leeward means away from the wind but in this case it is the name of a
group of islands in the eastern Caribbean. St. Martin, Anguilla, St.
Barts, Dominica, Guadalupe, etc.

--
Charles
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Keith

I make my own by getting 100% DEET and thinning it 3:1 with plain rubbing
alcohol. Makes a potent repellant, and doesn't leave you all greasy with
minimal smell. I get the DEET at Academy, a camping / sporting goods store
here in Houston, but you should be able to find it locally, or on the web.

--

Keith
__