Packing light - friendly WARNING to fellow travelers who travel light.

Old June 12th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Bradwell Jackson

Default Packing light - friendly WARNING to fellow travelers who travel light.

We all know how Rick Steves teaches us to travel light, and he is, of
course, correct. However, there seems to be a new danger in doing so.
I stayed in Paris for a month with nothing but a small backpack.
When I came to CDG to return to USA, the agents were very suspicious
that I possibly could have stayed for a month without having to check
any baggage. It seem now that packing light might tag you as a
security concern, unless of course it was just me. Has this happened
to anybody else?

Bradwell Jackson
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Alec

"Bradwell Jackson" wrote in message
om...
We all know how Rick Steves teaches us to travel light, and he is, of
course, correct. However, there seems to be a new danger in doing so.
I stayed in Paris for a month with nothing but a small backpack.
When I came to CDG to return to USA, the agents were very suspicious
that I possibly could have stayed for a month without having to check
any baggage. It seem now that packing light might tag you as a
security concern, unless of course it was just me. Has this happened
to anybody else?

Travelling light 'without good reason' (e.g. a businessman on a flying
visit) is one of the criteria for security alert - if you are a bomber on
reconnaissance or on mission, you are unlikely to be schlepping a big
suitcase. Basically, if your appearance, behaviour or travel pattern don't
match the profile of a bona-fide tourist, you can expect to be singled out
for particular attention (which in the present anti-terrorism climate can be
thorough and unpleasant).

Alec

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:02 PM
szozu

"Bradwell Jackson" wrote in message
om...
We all know how Rick Steves teaches us to travel light, and he is, of
course, correct. However, there seems to be a new danger in doing so.
I stayed in Paris for a month with nothing but a small backpack.
When I came to CDG to return to USA, the agents were very suspicious
that I possibly could have stayed for a month without having to check
any baggage. It seem now that packing light might tag you as a
security concern, unless of course it was just me. Has this happened
to anybody else?

I was once questioned for awhile on a return flight and then told that it
was due to my not have much baggage for someone that had been away for two
weeks. I had actually been away for three weeks, but wasn't eager to correct
the woman! I didn't think I had an extraordinarily small amount of stuff for
my trip--particularly as it was during warm weather and summer clothes pack
small.

Lana

Old June 13th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Marc J. LeClere

A relative of mine spent a year sailing in the Med with his family (don't
get jealous - I have already exhausted the jealousy quotient on this one).
But he had to go from Greece or hereabouts to London for business.
Traveling with a very-well used passport, carrying only a leather knapsack,
and probably looking like a wind-burned Robinson Crusoe, he was subjected to
a strip-search and 4 hour or so interogation at Heathrow. Now this was
about 2 years ago and the climate has lessened somewhat, but in this case
packing light did not serve him well.

"Stephen Dailey" wrote in message
om...
In article ,
says...
We all know how Rick Steves teaches us to travel light, and he is, of
course, correct. However, there seems to be a new danger in doing so.
I stayed in Paris for a month with nothing but a small backpack.
When I came to CDG to return to USA, the agents were very suspicious
that I possibly could have stayed for a month without having to check
any baggage. It seem now that packing light might tag you as a
security concern, unless of course it was just me. Has this happened
to anybody else?

Not when I went to the UK last February. I carried one bag (a Rick
Steves bag actually), and neither the UK nor US immigration officials
mentioned the quantity of baggage.

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA

12 Jun 2004, 1640 PDT

Old June 13th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Pomeroy3

It seem now that packing light might tag you as a
security concern, unless of course it was just me. Has this happened

to anybody else?

Yes, it has happened to me a few times. Another "red alert" for customs is
that I don't buy much when I travel and therefore have little to declare when
reentering the US. This has caused my luggage to be searched.
Susie Q