Diesel car rental worth it?

Old September 24th, 2004, 02:23 AM
TS

Default Diesel car rental worth it?

http://www.ebctravel.com/leaseratequote.html

I noticed on some cars, such as the 407, the diesel costs nearly $200 more
on a month long lease.

I know that the fuel is cheaper and the mileage is better, but how can I
calculate how many miles I would have to drive to recover the extra cost of
leasing a diesel car for a month?
At some point it will be better to just rent the cheaper car and pay a
little more for fuel.
What are MPG differences and price per gallon differences etc.?

Old September 24th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Alec

"TS" wrote in message
http://www.ebctravel.com/leaseratequote.html

I noticed on some cars, such as the 407, the diesel costs nearly $200 more
on a month long lease.

I know that the fuel is cheaper and the mileage is better, but how can I
calculate how many miles I would have to drive to recover the extra cost
of leasing a diesel car for a month?
At some point it will be better to just rent the cheaper car and pay a
little more for fuel.
What are MPG differences and price per gallon differences etc.?

For 407, reckon diesel-engined model to do 10-12 miles per litre and
unleaded model around 7-8 miles per litre. In Europe diesel costs around 25%
less than unleaded (average 0.85 euro/litre against 1.05 euro/litre), except
in Switzerland and UK, where they are about the same. So on average you will
roughly halve your fuel bill. For extra $200 a month for a diesel, you start
saving from around 825 miles.

Alec

Old September 24th, 2004, 03:40 AM
TS

Since we plan to drive at least 1500 miles during the month, it looks like
it will pay for itself.
We were considering the 307 or 206 listed on the web site to save more
money, but they are hatchbacks and we would not be able to pack our luggage
out of view of prying eyes. The 407 happens to like nice also.
We can also consider the Renault Megane if it costs less to lease and is no
less comfortable for 2.

Old September 24th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Frank F. Matthews

You also have to get used to a very different power curve. Took me 2-3
days to quit spinning the tires. All in all I wouldn't be bothered by a
diesel but I probably wouldn't spend $200 more even for a month.

Old September 24th, 2004, 09:00 AM
The Reids

Following up to Frank F. Matthews

You also have to get used to a very different power curve. Took me 2-3
days to quit spinning the tires. .

Huh? Many hire cars seem to be diesel nowadays. Last time in
Spain I had the same car I drive at home but diesel. I find the
diesel versions pulls well from low revs giving more usable real
world power. They are alleged to be inflexible (hence six speeds
on the BMW diesels) but I never noticed any problem. The only
drawbacks are engine noise and dirty fuel pumps at filling
stations. I never span any tyres.
I'm not sure what the logic is for car hire companies as they
don't get the fuel savings.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Lake district-Thames path-London "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Old September 24th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Mark Hewitt

"TS" wrote in message
Since we plan to drive at least 1500 miles during the month, it looks like
it will pay for itself.
We were considering the 307 or 206 listed on the web site to save more
money, but they are hatchbacks and we would not be able to pack our

luggage
out of view of prying eyes.

How much luggage do you have?! You realise these cars have parcel shelves
which conceal the boot, right?

Oh and if you are getting a Diesel, make sure it's a TDi or TDCi :-)