European Beaches still usable in October or March?

Old April 29th, 2004, 05:50 PM
TS

Default European Beaches still usable in October or March?

Are any beaches worth going to for sunbathing and swimming in those
months or are they all uncomfortably cold during those times?
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Ivan

In article ,
(TS) wrote:

Are any beaches worth going to for sunbathing and swimming in those
months or are they all uncomfortably cold during those times?

How about American beaches?
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Mike O'sullivan

French Riviera is still warm in early October.

om...

Old April 29th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Mike

"TS" wrote in message
om...
Are any beaches worth going to for sunbathing and swimming in those
months or are they all uncomfortably cold during those times?

With a bit of good luck it can be warm enough for sunbathing in southern
Spain, almost all year. And I have the evidence to prove it. I was on the
Costa del Sol for a long weekend in January and wondered if there was any
chance of taking photos for our new guidebook, 'Bare Beaches'. Blessed with
warm weather, I was amazed to find the naturist beaches really busy with
nude sunbathers! It was the third January in a row we have experienced warm
weather for our weekend around Malaga.

Costa Almeria is the warmest and driest part of mainland Europe in winter,
but even here there will be cool or wet days. October is generally good
though and March is pleasant. A windshield might be a handy piece of kit out
of season.

By the way, Bare Beaches is published on 6 June.

Mike
www.barebeaches.com

Old April 30th, 2004, 08:20 AM
The Reids

Following up to TS

Are any beaches worth going to for sunbathing and swimming in those
months or are they all uncomfortably cold during those times?

depends what you find cold. Northern Europeans will often find
southern Spain warm enough in the winter, the locals or people
from hot countries probably will not.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:12 PM
*Tom*

Are any beaches worth going to for sunbathing and swimming in those
months or are they all uncomfortably cold during those times?

Beautiful beaches at the bay of Saint Tropez: Saint Maxime, Port Grimaud, en
Trop itself.

Paradise on this planet.

Tom

Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:32 PM
Thomas Peel

TS schrieb:

Are any beaches worth going to for sunbathing and swimming in those
months or are they all uncomfortably cold during those times?

If by European Beaches you're thinking of the mediterranean, October is
still ok in Greece or Turkey. In the winter, the sea cools down a lot,
and March is definitely too early for swimming.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:56 PM
Traveller

Not only Turkey or Greece. Just think about Malaga, in Spain, I live
herre and we go to the beach from february to October.

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:24 AM
R J Carpenter

"Traveller" wrote in message
Not only Turkey or Greece. Just think about Malaga, in Spain, I live
here and we go to the beach from february to October.

Murcia is warmer yet - but be aware the the sea never get really warm (Miami
style) in these areas.

TS schrieb:

Are any beaches worth going to for sunbathing and swimming in those
months or are they all uncomfortably cold during those times?

If by European Beaches you're thinking of the mediterranean, October is
still ok in Greece or Turkey. In the winter, the sea cools down a lot,
and March is definitely too early for swimming.

The Med doesn't have the extreme sea temp changes we see on the northern US
east coast.

Download my climate data from
http://users.erols.com/rcarpen . It includes
curves of approximate sea temp by month for a number of locations.
I've been to Le Lavandou in France in early October and the beach / water
was "OK", but the beach season was clearly about over. The warmth from the
sun was rather feeble.