Eateries choose service charges over tips

Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM
Abe

Please trim your sig to 1 line.
Forget about it. He thinks he's too superior to adhere to netiquette.

We don't know that yet. Give him a chance to modify it and post again.
Patience.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Robert Morien

In article ,
Abe wrote:

Please trim your sig to 1 line.

Forget about it. He thinks he's too superior to adhere to netiquette.

We don't know that yet. Give him a chance to modify it and post again.
Patience.

Like I haven't tried already?

He equates it with spell and grammar flames. Absolutely indifferent to
the issue...unless it has something to do with illegals.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Tracey

"Ablang" wrote in message
I'm sure everyone will have an opinion on this topic, as
those who have discovered upon traveling to other states and
countries, that hotels & restaurants are starting to replace the
practice of consumer tipping and automatically adding it into the
bill. What do you think of this practice?

I think tipping should be eliminated and restaurant and hotel employees
should be paid at least at minimum wage, not the sub-minimum amounts that
they now earn.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

"Tracey" wrote in message
.. .

"Ablang" wrote in message
I'm sure everyone will have an opinion on this topic, as
those who have discovered upon traveling to other states and
countries, that hotels & restaurants are starting to replace the
practice of consumer tipping and automatically adding it into the
bill. What do you think of this practice?

I think tipping should be eliminated and restaurant and hotel

employees
should be paid at least at minimum wage, not the sub-minimum amounts

that
they now earn.

what hotel employees make less than minimum wage?

Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Bob Ward

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:01:43 -0700, Abe wrote:

Gawd how I support this!
The USA for years has needed to adopt the European model in which
tips are not expected but optional.
I would MUCH rather pay a "service charge" -- although why they
don't simply figure the cost of labor into the bill is another issue
-- than have to concern myself with figuring what the tip shoud be.
Moreover, "tipping" is also unfair to the employee, who provides
labor which, in the case of a cheapskate customer, may wind up being
uncompenstated.
Was this post informative? Consider printing it or emailing it to someone you know.

"A passionate attachment of one nation for another produces a variety of evils. Sympathy for the favorite nation . . . betrays [one nation] into a participation in the quarrels and wars of the latter . . .
"Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake, since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of republican government.
"Nothing is more essential than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations and passionate attachments for others should be excluded."

-- President George Washington
Farewell Address

Please trim your sig to 1 line.

That post had no sig.

Old October 4th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Robert Morien

In article ,
Bob Ward wrote:

[...]

yup, according to the BI it's spam
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Mike T.

I think tipping should be eliminated and restaurant and hotel employees
should be paid at least at minimum wage, not the sub-minimum amounts that
they now earn.

I agree that employers should pay all employees at least minimum wage, with
no exceptions for restaurant and hotel employees, for example. But why
eliminate tipping? Do you LIKE poor service? -Dave

Old October 5th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Curtis CCR

Tracey wrote:
"Ablang" wrote in message
I'm sure everyone will have an opinion on this topic, as
those who have discovered upon traveling to other states and
countries, that hotels & restaurants are starting to replace the
practice of consumer tipping and automatically adding it into the
bill. What do you think of this practice?

I think tipping should be eliminated and restaurant and hotel employees
should be paid at least at minimum wage, not the sub-minimum amounts that
they now earn.

Come to California, where just about everyone, including tipped
servers, etc, has to be paid at least the state minimum wage.

I don't have a big problem with service charges as long as the server
knows that it will impact his/her tip. A 20% service charge and the
server is not likely to get anything from me as that is my tip rate for
above average service. I will go even higher from time to time when I
feel that server has really exceeded my expecatations. But if the
business is going to charge me a service charge, I will hold them more
accountable for everything and my continued patronage will be based on
whether or not I feel I got my money's worth in terms of service.

I am wondering if, at least in some states, the service charge would be
taxable.