Driving from Phila. to Jacksonville

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

Default Driving from Phila. to Jacksonville

Hi everyone;

I have to attend a business meeting in Jacksonville, FL on Feb. 20th. I
have to be there at 8:00am. The meeting will run all day. I intend to
extend my stay in Florida to a full week for some R&R and to visit
family who live in Vero Beach.

As it happens, I bought a new Toyota Prius last week and I have a ton of
unused vacation time from my job. I am thinking of driving down to
Florida in my Prius instead of flying for two reasons. First, to use up
some of my vacation time, and second to enjoy some sights along the way.

I figure that gas ought to run me around $240 round trip, which is going
to be less than air fare. I intend to take a tent with me and maybe do a
bit of camping in Florida, just for a night or two.

On thing I am not sure about is the timing. Since my meeting in
Jacksonville is on the 20th, I should get there on the 19th. I also want
to have some time to look around Jacksonville because I have never been
there before. I also need one night to relax before this meeting, then I
plan to leave for Vero Beach on the 21st. My employer will pay for the
hotel in Jacksonville for the two nights.

On the way to Florida, I want to stop in Washington DC for a few hours
to see the Smithsonian American History Museum. Then I am looking for
suggestions on scenic rest stops or maybe an interesting town en route
where I can stop for one night to sleep, but also just to see what there
is to see there and shoot some photos (I am an avid photographer).

If time allows, I would like to visit with a friend who lives in
Atlanta.

So, when would just suggest I leave Philly? So I can get to Jacksonville
by, say the afternoon of the 19th, and have a night somewhere en route
with a few daylight hours upon arrival to shoot some photos (and where)?

Also, on my way home to Philly from Vero Beach, where can I find a clean
and cheap hotel, preferably with something interesting (beach, city,
etc.) to shoot photos of for a few hours?
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Shawn Hirn" wrote:
I have to attend a business meeting in Jacksonville, FL on Feb. 20th.
snip, boring details
I should get there on the 19th.
I plan to leave for Vero Beach on the 21st.
I want to stop in Washington DC for a few hours to see the
Smithsonian American History Museum.
Then I am looking for suggestions on scenic rest stops or maybe an
interesting town en route where I can stop for one night to sleep...
If time allows, I would like to visit with a friend who lives in Atlanta.
So, when would just suggest I leave Philly?...
Also, on my way home to Philly from Vero Beach, where can I find
a clean and cheap hotel, preferably with something interesting...

---------------------------
Leave in the AM of the 17th and drive 2.5 hours to DC, so you have
time for lunch and one Smithsonian on the Mall. Its another 2 hours
South to Richmond, VA, or one more hour to Colonial Williamsburg.

On the 18th, its a long 8 - 9 hours via I-85 from Richmond-CW to
Atlanta. You may want to stop short in Greenville, SC (6-7 hours).
On the 19th, lunch in Atlanta, then drive 5 - 6 hours to Jacksonville
via I-75 + I-10, or I-75, I-16 + I-95 (more scenic).

Returning from Vero, its 7.5 hours to hole up in Charleston, SC --
the old plantation homes, and historic houses downtown, are well
worth the diversion from I-95 -- but its a back-breaking 11 hour
drive to Philly from there (unless you stop in DC again). A stop in
Florence, SC, is more equidistant, leaving you a 9-hr drive ea.day.

As for hotels, my suggestion is that you use www.sidestep.com to
locate hotels in your price range in each locale, then check directly
with the hotel website to see if you can get the room any cheaper.
=R=

Old January 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I bought a new Toyota Prius last week...
am thinking of driving down to Florida

Be sure to check your owner's manual for info regarding your car's
break-in period. They typically caution you not to drive at a
sustained speed for long periods of time until the engine has a
certain number of miles on it.

(At least it used to be that way; it's been a few years since I bought
my last new car.)

James
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jan 19, 7:08*am, wrote:
I bought a new Toyota Prius last week...
*am thinking of driving down to Florida

Be sure to check your owner's manual for info regarding your car's
break-in period. They typically caution you not to drive at a
sustained speed for long periods of time until the engine has a
certain number of miles on it.

(At least it used to be that way; it's been a few years since I bought
my last new car.)

James

Modern vehicles don't have a break in period anymore.
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, Atlanta is probably going to cost you at least five hours in and again
back out, as opposed to sticking to the coast.

Charleston and Savannah are both nice cities to visit. I can recommend a few
places you might want to camp/stay between Savannah and Jacksonville. It's
off season, so hotels should be cheaper...I'd double check campgrounds to
see if they are even open. On the other hand, in recent years things have
been warm and blooming by mid-February, so you might get a nice surprise.

The Golden Isles are south of Savannah -- there's St. Simons, a nice little
beach town full of rich Atlantans. Next door is Jekyll Island, a Georgia
state park that is largely untouched -- just a few basic hotels (and one big
fancy one). Huge span of open beach. See it now, because the developers are
bribing our elected officials in order to build huge resorts and make Jekyll
"profitable" for the state and a few of its weathiest families.

Cumberland Island is wonderful -- you can only get there by ferry from St.
Mary's--without your car. It's a national seashore, with just a few people
and lots of horses living there. (It's where John-John got married). The
ruins of the Carnegie's mansion still stand. If you do go and camp there,
take everything you'll need with you.

Just north of Jacksonville is Amelia Island. Ignore the Amelia part; it's
all resorts. But the town of Fernandina Beach is nice. There are only a few
hotels on the beach, but on the river side, near the heart of town, there
are nice bed and breakfasts. It's grown a lot in recent years, but I spent
many a summer day on that beach. There is a camp ground on the grounds of
Fort Clinch. If you decide to go to Fernandina, I can give you a lot more
information (good hotels, restaurants, etc.).

North of Savannah is Sapelo Island, a center for the preservation of the
Gullah culture (West Africans who settled in these islands). Then there is
Hilton Head, which gets a lot of press. Not worth it in my opinion. It's all
gated plantations and golf courses and expensive shopping. Kinda hard to
find the beach, unless you know someone :-)

HTH

Sarah

Old January 20th, 2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Modern vehicles don't have a break in period anymore.

I just did a quick Google and it seems that some manufacturers no
longer recommend a break-in period, but some still do.

In any event, the original poster can just see what his owner's manual
says.

James

Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Shawn Hirn wrote:

Hi everyone;

I have to attend a business meeting in Jacksonville, FL on Feb. 20th. I
have to be there at 8:00am. The meeting will run all day. I intend to
extend my stay in Florida to a full week for some R&R and to visit
family who live in Vero Beach.

Thanks everyone. I decided to defer my long trip to Florida until August
which is the next time a space shuttle launch is scheduled for when I
would be able to see it (if NASA doesn't delay it).

I sat down yesterday at my computer and decided that since I have never
been to the Jacksonville area before, why not just explore that area? I
heard that Jacksonville, itself is nothing to get excited about, so I
ended up arranging for a long weekend in Saint Augustine before my
meeting, then I will fly home from Jacksonville right after it.

I will save Vero Beach and the other areas much further south in Florida
for August.
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..
"Shawn Hirn" wrote:
I have to attend a business meeting in Jacksonville, FL on Feb. 20th.
snipped
... I am looking for suggestions on scenic rest stops or maybe an
interesting town en route where I can stop for one night to sleep...

You want to sleep in a scenic rest area ? In February ? In a Toyota Prius
? Aside from safety ( remember Michael Jordan's dad - killed while taking
a nap in a rest area) it's much too cold - get a hotel. North/South/West
of Wash DC there are lots of them at every exit.

Old January 25th, 2008, 03:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Jan 19, 4:02*am, Shawn Hirn wrote:
[...]

Was going to suggest South of the Boarder. A true celebration in
tackiness.

http://www.pedroland.com/pedro.html
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

- Bobb - wrote:

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..

"Shawn Hirn" wrote:

I have to attend a business meeting in Jacksonville, FL on Feb. 20th.

snipped
... I am looking for suggestions on scenic rest stops or maybe an
interesting town en route where I can stop for one night to sleep...

You want to sleep in a scenic rest area ? In February ? In a Toyota
Prius ? Aside from safety ( remember Michael Jordan's dad - killed
while taking a nap in a rest area) it's much too cold - get a hotel.
North/South/West of Wash DC there are lots of them at every exit.

He asked for a scenic place to make a rest stop. I see no implication
that he wants to sleep in the car.

Also I see no indication that the sleep in the interesting town will be
in the car.

" I am looking for suggestions on scenic rest stops
or maybe an interesting town en route where I can stop for one night to
sleep,"

I interpreted that as "sleeping in a rest stop OR maybe in town".
Academic as I now see he has postponed until summer.