Paris Notes (2)

Old July 29th, 2004, 06:34 PM
jenn

Default Paris Notes (2)

Mxsmanic wrote:

Donna Evleth writes:

It doesn't. My own guess is the connection with "Indians", as in native
Americans.

Native Americans aren't Indians. They may or may not be aboriginal.
Indians don't come from America.

duh -- that is what they call themselves and what they were
traditionally called

so they are 'Indians' -- just like there are people from Paris who have
never set foot outside Texas or Tennessee and People from Cairo who have
never set foot outside Illinois
Old July 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Donna Evleth

Dans l'article , Olivers
a écrit :

Donna Evleth extrapolated from data available...

The food was tasteless,
and the tortillas were all flour tortillas, which did not even exist
when I was young in California.

How can Californians who dose even the most classic of Mexican dishes with
"olives" as if they were martinis be expected to know much about tortillas?

When I was growing up in California in the 1930s and 1940s, Californians
never doused any Mexican dishes with olives. This is new. Surely imported
by someone from somewhere else, probably the Midwest.

Flour tortillas did exist, but were a dish for weekends and festive
occasions. There are actually parts of Northern Mexico where corn is
barely cultivated and wheat is grown, and where the familiar corn tortilla
is rarely encountered.

Flour tortillas seem to be gradually
driving out corn tortillas, which are authentically Mexican (Mexico
grows corn, not wheat).

A, is true, but B. is not. Corn tortillas were far more common, but no
more "authentic". Flour tortillas were up until "modern times" rarely
encountered outside of fairly high income homes or in those area sof Mexico
where wheat was cultivated. The Mexicans who emigrated to the US primarily
came from low income backgrounds and would rarely have been familiar with
tortillas de harina.

I was unaware of all this. I never saw a flour tortilla until I was well
into adulthood. But then, most of the Mexican places I frequented as a kid
were short on decor, you went for the food. In fact, too much decor was
often the sign of poor food in a Mexican restaurant. One of my favorites
was in El Centro, California, in the Imperial Valley near the Mexican
border. It was a family run restaurant located in a Quonset hut. So I
guess this is why I did not know about flour tortillas.

I was shocked when a friend from Florida had
never heard of corn tortillas, and thought all Mexican food involved
the flour variety.

Folks raised on a diet of swamp cabbage are rarely culinary arbiters.

Corn tortillas do taste better (and may well be better for you...), but
flour tortillas and the ability to afford them represent an attainment to
many Mexicans.

This morning, I breakfasted on a local favorite, quesadillas, a couple of
corn tortillas with Mexican cheese and strips of roasted poblano chile
between them, toasted on a hot griddle until the cheese melted, sort of a
Mexican Grilled Cheese Sammitch. With a large mug of coffee into which a
spoon of cocoa, some sugar and a little hot milk, had been briskly stirred
to a froth, it was almost a Mexican breakfast.

You make my mouth water. That sounds perfect for breakfast.

Flour tortillas have come to dominate the resturant trade, just as store
bought light bread and scratch biscuits took the place of cornbread in the
diet of USAians. Wealth. Folks have a way of moving up the food scale
just as they tentatively assay leaps up the cultural scale parallel to
increases in income/purchasing power. Societies emulate individual
conduct.

One can only hope that once well established on the upper end of the food
scale, these same people will rediscover the good stuff they left behind.
It has been known to happen.

Donna Evleth

Old July 29th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Mxsmanic

jenn writes:

duh -- that is what they call themselves and what they were
traditionally called

They traditionally called themselves by various names, depending on
their tribes.