Paris Notes (2)

Old July 27th, 2004, 11:24 PM
poldy

Default Paris Notes (2)

In article ,
Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Strolling:
Paris has given us a word: boulevardier. It conveys something
particular about the city. Paris is a place which offers much to the
visitor who simply rambles about. We rambled, and found lively
neighbourhoods, interesting buildings and monuments, parks, and
pleasant cafés in which to sit for a while to rest the feet. Wherever
you ramble, you are likely to come on some guide-book attraction. But
most of all, the appeal of wandering about is to see vignettes of the
life of the city and its people.

I like flaneur (there should be a circonflexe over the a).

Old July 27th, 2004, 11:31 PM
poldy

In article ,
Olivers wrote:

While Houston may not be near to Madrid, it's near to Mexico, and the
largest single component of its population is now or will soon be Hispanic,
most of them of Mexican origin. With that many Mexican Americans (and no
small supply of illegals/mojados), the number and variety of Mexican
restaurants, not just "TexMex, a style of its own, but of everyone of
Mexico's numerous regional cuisines (or local adaptations), is almost
limitless. Within a single couple of miles on one street, I can dine from
Matamoros to Baja and down to the Guatamalan Border and most stops in
between, from street food to high dollar emulations of upscale Mexico City.

That's why Frank (and most other of we Texans who disgree on much but less
often on Mexican food) might not expect much from a Madrid Taqueria.

But most Americans probably experience "Mexican food" at Taco Bell or
Chili's, Chevy's or regional taqueria chains.

You can always tell which places are "authentic." You see Mexicans
going there and they feature things like lengua and barbacoa.

Old July 28th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Ronald Hands

poldy wrote:

I like flaneur (there should be a circonflexe over the a).

Edmund White wrote an enjoyable book titled The Flaneur: a
stroll through the paradoxes of Paris (Bloomsbury, 2001).
The woman who wrote the Letter from Paris for the New Yorker
magazine for many years chose the pen name Janet Flanner, which
many suspected was a tribute to "flâneur". I think Walter
Benjamin also wrote an essay defining the breed.
I like the word, too.

-- Ron