Paris Notes (2)

Old July 28th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Jeremy Henderson

Default Paris Notes (2)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:38:08 +0000, Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Which places have you tried?

No idea if it's "authentic" or not but I enjoyed the Cadillac Bar on IIRC
I-10.

Houston was also my introduction to Vietnamese food (Kim Son), which has
not been equalled until we came to Paris (eg Vietnam Foyer, Pl Monge)

J;

randee wrote:

Houston 'Mexican' is quite bland in my experience, El Paso would be
better....................
--
wf.

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

You really should try some Mexican food. If you cannot manage Mexico I
can make some suggestions in Houston.

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

Old July 28th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Olivers

Jeremy Henderson extrapolated from data available...

Houston was also my introduction to Vietnamese food (Kim Son), which has
not been equalled until we came to Paris (eg Vietnam Foyer, Pl Monge)

A couple of joints at the South end of Houston's Downtown are a bit less
frou-frou and more "authentic", but you can get decent Vietnamese food in
Houston as one may in Paris. To me, Vietnamese cooking is at its best at
the simple end of the spectrum....a good big bowl of Pho or the like.

Of course, there are those who claim that the quality of French cooking was
rarely higher than one could find in Saigon in the early 60s (and a number
of popular Vietnamese dishes are clearly drawn from the French including a
generic beef and fried potato dish that's pretty scary.

Nuoc mam on powdered eggs? No.....

TMO
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Ronald Hands

billfrogg wrote:

New Yorker Letter from Paris....I was always under the impression
that Janet Flanner was indeed Janet Flanner. I do definitely remember
that she wrote under the pen name Genet, which confused me no end as a
youngster as I wanted to link that name with Jean Genet. I think Ms
Flanner was playing with the heads of us innocents.... billfrogg

No idea where I came up with the flaneur/Flanner link, but I
can't imagine it was an original thought -- I don't have such
things!
Anyway, a Google search turns up extensive references and
suggests that she was indeed born Janet Flanner and that her pen
name in the New Yorker was Genet. That, supposedly, was Harold
Ross' idea, his notion of how Janet would be rendered in French.
I never read her column in the New Yorker but did catch up with
it in the several collections that were published under such
titles as Paris Journal (Vols. 1, 2 and 3) and Paris Was
Yesterday. My reading of them was probably more than 20 years
ago, but my recall is that they were fascinating, even long after
the events depicted. There's also a biography, a collection of
her letters, and various other collections of her writings.

-- Ron

Old July 28th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Donna Evleth

Dans l'article , poldy
a écrit :

I always thought it was amusing that there is a Tex Mex chain called
Indiana's in Paris. Never tried it but seems to be popular.

Is it popular with the locals or tourists? Americans surely know a
placed called "Indiana's" serving Tex Mex is absurd. So who's going to
these places?

We tried it once, to please a visiting American friend, who, being from the
East Coast, did not seem to find the name absurd, although I, being from
California, did. It was terrible. The food was tasteless, and the
tortillas were all flour tortillas, which did not even exist when I was
young in California. Flour tortillas seem to be gradually driving out corn
tortillas, which are authentically Mexican (Mexico grows corn, not wheat).
I was shocked when a friend from Florida had never heard of corn tortillas,
and thought all Mexican food involved the flour variety. I admit I have a
personal prejudice here, as I am gluten intolerant and flour tortillas make
me sick. But I still think the corn tortillas have more taste. Besides
being authentically Mexican.

Donna Evleth

Old July 28th, 2004, 09:25 PM
randee

Default Houston/Milan Mexican food, was Paris Notes (2)

Houston
I don't recall any of the names of the places, but we tried several
along Irvington Blvd. Food was good, just bland, not the 'burn your
intestines completely from one end to the other in 3 minutes' you find
in certain areas of west Texas and southern New Mexico, USA.

Milan
There are supposedly two Mexican restaurants in Milan owned by somebody
from Roswell, New Mexico, USA. I have not tried them, and rather doubt
I will ever actually get to Milan in our travels in northern Italy, but
I wonder if anybody has tried either the Louisiana Bistro or the El
Tropico Latino? Supposedly the Bistro is a hangout for the Delta pilots
on the Atlanta/Milan run.

Chilis
You can get a feel for the heat of a Mexican/Spanish restaurant by
asking the cook what varieties of chilis he uses - if he uses Big Jims
for rellenos and either Barker or Sandia for the salsa, you know you are
in good hands....................
--
wf.

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote: