Short wheelchair accessible tours

Old November 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Crooner

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for 1-3 days tours in Jan. - Feb 2005 that are reasonably
priced, swanky hotels do nothing for me.

I use a power wheelchair which makes using a regular coaches out. The
(mini)bus must either be lift-equiped or towing a trailer that I could
stow my wheelchair in. I would also like to visit some islands.

Desired Desinations (so far)
- Blue Mountains
- Capricorn Caves

Sorry, but there's no way a wheelchair will get past the first 50 metres of
the caves unless they've widened the track since 2002..... and removed the
steps.

- Mt. Coot-tha

Someone is leading you up the garden path if that's on your destination
list. You may not be aware but Mt Coot-tha is a hill - definitely not a
mountain - in the middle of Brisbane. There's a restaurant and lookout up
top, and botanical gardens and rainforest trails below. Assuming you could
walk on two legs, you'd see everything in about four hours (and I'm being
generous).

- Whitsunday Islands

I expect that most would be unnavigable as the tracks are sand and mostly
quite narrow. However Hamilton and Hayman Islands would probably be
wheelchair friendly as they're much more developed: read touristy and, in
Hayman's case, swanky and overpriced. But you may have to wear the luxury
and cost in order to see the Whitsundays.

I suggest you contact each island direct for further information. The other
main islands that are possibilities are Daydream and Long.

- Magnetic Island
- GBR (Cairns)
- Kurunda
- Rainforest (Cairns, Port Douglas)
- Great Ocean Road

As for the rest of your list, all the places are do-able. For your
Queensland destinations, contact Tourism Queensland.
http://www.tq.com.au/

Good luck with your plans and enjoy your trip.

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Peter

In article , Crooner says...
- GBR (Cairns)

As for the rest of your list, all the places are do-able. For your
Queensland destinations, contact Tourism Queensland.

Leave your wheelchair behind if you go snorkeling.
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Peter

In article , Crooner says...
- GBR (Cairns)

Old December 1st, 2004, 12:27 AM
Wheels

Thanks to everyone who replied so far.

The advice on where and where not to go is well received. Ditto for
the links.

Regarding my charger, I inquired to Invacare Australia about renting a
charger because I've heard some stories about a 110V charger with a
transformer either doing a poor job or getting fried. You would think
they could have set a universal standard for voltage, but I guess that
would make life too simple. Anyway, they graciously offered to lend me
one.

I also asked them if there would be any problems with the motors or
electronics overheating in the North. I'm concerned about it because I
had a motor overheat in NYC and had to replace it because all the
grease liquified and leaked out. They said that it's no worse than
Florida in the summer. This is suppose to reassure me?

I'm planning to take the train from Sydney to Cairns (not in one shot)
because Greyhound Australia is still in the dark ages when it comes to
accessibility. I'm not too happy about this because the bus runs more
frequently and goes to more places.

Any advice on riding the rails up the East Coast?

Steve wrote:
I am looking for 1-3 days tours in Jan. - Feb 2005 that are

reasonably
priced, swanky hotels do nothing for me.

I use a power wheelchair which makes using a regular coaches out.

The
(mini)bus must either be lift-equiped or towing a trailer that I

could
stow my wheelchair in. I would also like to visit some islands.

Desired Desinations (so far)
- Blue Mountains
- Capricorn Caves
- Mt. Coot-tha