High resolution photos from Brisbane & Sydney

Old August 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Frank Slootweg

Peter Webb wrote:

"Geoff Murray" wrote in message
So Fred, you obviously donate your time to a charity and don't expect
payment??

Geoff

"Fred" wrote in message

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

"Geoff Murray" wrote in message
Hi Johan,

I need someone to work for me but most people seem just too
expensive. Would you like to work for me for free? Pro
photographers spend many thousands of dollars on high quality
equipment and use a lot of time and expertise getting these photos.
And you want them for free??

Geoff
www.geoffmurray.com
Good on you for asking. Many people would be glad to share their photos
with you. It's just a matter of finding them. A little like singers
really - and even radio announcers, many are there for fun - not money.
Just ignore the above.

What an asshole you are.

The guy just wanted to know if anybody had any photos from their
holidays he could have.

No he didn't. Please read what people actually write before calling
others assholes.

He wasn't asking professional photographers to undertake special
work for free.

Indeed, he wasn't, but it depends on what you call "High resolution".
As Geoff mentioned, *real* "high resolution" equipment costs "many
thousands of dollars". I don't think it is realistic to *expect* those
kind of photos for *free*. And that is what the OP asked ("But these
images [on the two websites he listed] are all quite expensive. Does
anyone know where I might find similar pics... but for free.").

[rest of rant deleted]
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Frank Slootweg

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

"Geoff Murray" wrote in message
Hi Johan,

I need someone to work for me but most people seem just too
expensive. Would you like to work for me for free? Pro
photographers spend many thousands of dollars on high quality
equipment and use a lot of time and expertise getting these photos.
And you want them for free??

Geoff
www.geoffmurray.com

Good on you for asking. Many people would be glad to share their photos with
you. It's just a matter of finding them. A little like singers really - and
even radio announcers, many are there for fun - not money. Just ignore the
above.

Please get your attributions right. You make it look like [1] I wrote
what you call "the above", but it was written by Geoff.

[1] Yes, you have the correct number of quote-levels, but most people
will not correctly interpret that. It also makes the References:
incorrect. So if you have to do this (because you only have my response
and not Geoff's), then remove the incorrect attributions and decrease
the quote level to one.
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Fred

"Geoff Murray" wrote in message
So Fred, you obviously donate your time to a charity and don't expect
payment??

Geoff

Well Geoff

I have donated much time to people over the years as an accountant. Many in
my profession regularly do bookwork for clubs, community groups etc, and I'm
sure most have assisted start-up businesses without fee. Furthermore if I
ever saw someone advertising for some free assistance I sure as hell
wouldn't mind at all - and the last thing I would ever do is send a critical
reply. If they want help, and someone is prepared to provide that help, what
on earth has it got to do with you?

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:13 AM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:01:11 +1000, "Geoff Murray"
wrote:

So Fred, you obviously donate your time to a charity and don't expect
payment??

Have'nt you answered your own question by the way you wrote this above

ie. .......donate your time to charity and don't expect payment...

Tony

Geoff

Old August 26th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"nicke" wrote in message
oups.com...
G'day all,

I'm looking for photos from Brisbane & Sydney which I can enlarge and
put up as pictura in my appartment. I found two very good websites.
1. http://photosau.com/
2. http://www.photolibrary.com

But these images are all quite expensive.

Does anyone know where I might find similar pics... but for free.

Thanks
Johan

Johan

Despite what I said earlier about being Dutch I am wondering whether you
have checked out www.webshots.com ?
You may find that there are some pictures there of sufficiently high
resolution for you to enlarge.
There are even some made by myself earlier this year, although I cannot see
that anyone would really want to enlarge those. Buit you are welcome
nevertheless. http://community.webshots.com/album/362639009iOfpUQ

Gerrit - Oz

Old August 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Geoff Murray

Trouble is Johan,

You complain that images on the two mentioned websites ( which are produced
by professional photographers who are trying to make a living ) are too
expensive, then ask for similar pics i.e. top quality, pics for free. There
are any number of low quality images on the web available "for free" but,
the people that take the time to get good images and spend the money for the
equipment to do just that do expect payment for their efforts. One of the
unfortunate truths of this world is that every Tom, Dick and Harry that has
a camera has the opinion that they can get images "just as good as the pros,
it just hasn't happened yet so how come they charge so much??"
I have supplied images to people for private use in the past for a minimal
charge but I am buggered if I can see why I should work for nothing.
And for the poster that said "What an asshole you are.The guy just wanted to
know if anybody had any photos from their holidays he could have." This is
not what he asked for . He wanted high quality professional images for free.
:-)

Geoff
www.geoffmurray.com

Old September 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Geeds

Seeing some Dutch here, and talking about photo's I have a question a
liitle off topic.
My daughter just arrived last week on a Working Holiday Visa in Sydney and
will be down under for a year. She is making lots of photo's but when she
tries to upload them to my computer at home it takes an awfull long time. So
she only managed around 5 photo's so far. What are the normal upload speeds
in internet cafe's in Australia? Is there an alternative (except for burning
them on CD's and sending them), I was hoping to maintain a website of her
journey.
My download speed is 8Mb so that is not the bottleneck.

It would be nice if she could somehow get them placed on an ISP site
directly, so I could just download them.
Anyone have s suggestion?

Regards,

Ben (from Holland)

Old September 13th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Spammy Sammy

"Geeds" wrote in message
She is making lots of photo's but when she
tries to upload them to my computer at home it takes an awfull long time.

So
she only managed around 5 photo's so far. What are the normal upload

speeds
in internet cafe's in Australia? Is there an alternative (except for

burning
them on CD's and sending them), I was hoping to maintain a website of her
journey.
My download speed is 8Mb so that is not the bottleneck.

Your best option is to open an account somewhere like Shutterfly or
Photobucket. She uploads the photos there and you download at your leisure.
Quicker that way.

Old September 21st, 2005, 04:33 PM

Hi,

You can get some fairly high res photos of Western Australia and Uluru
and also other countries/stuff from here
http://cp.c-ij.com/english/photo/ They are about 3000x2000 (6
megapixel) so will be good enough for 8R or so photos but not for
poster sized stuff.

They are generally free for personal, non-commercial enjoyment/use and
it sounds as if your use should qualify. Read the license to be sure
tho. BTW, they are primarily designed to show of your Canon printer I
think but there is nothing in the license which says you can't have
them printed in some other way provided your use is the same. I have
had a few printed.

Personally I'm looking for some nice 6800x4700 or larger (32 mega
pixel!) photos for some posters. Don't know what, anything that looks
nice I suppose. Perhaps some stitched together stuff. Trouble is, even
a JPEG should be at least 10mb or so to be good quality at this res so
don't know where I'm going to find something like this