UA $75 paper ticket fee. What the &@#$!!!!

Old February 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

Default UA $75 paper ticket fee. What the &@#$!!!!

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:54:25 -0800 (PST), me
wrote:

On Feb 11, 2:48=A0pm, wrote:
Hi again all

I just found out from my friend that has been making all of our travel
plans through American Express on the internet for our Hawaiian trip
that I owe him $75 above the ticket price/taxes. He says that United

Although I can understand your friends concerns, I'm afraid in
this day
and age, the paper ticket isn't all that much of a benefit. If your
reservation
isn't in the computer, as far as the airline is concerned, it doesn't
exist.
Paper tickets these days aren't much more than receipts.

Hi

The last few times I have flown on a paper ticket, the check-in desk
has just torn them up and printed out another one - presumably by
retrieving the reservation number from their computer.

That being the case, a paper ticket is a waste of time anyway; you may
as well just turn up at the check-in and tell them the reservation
(i.e. e-ticket) number yourself.

Regards

KGB

Old February 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

Do any of you select paper tickets instead on electronic ones and why?

As our resident gasbag^H^H^H^H lawyer, Paul Tauger, claimed many times,
(quote) an e-ticket is an oral promise and
(quote) an e-ticket is not a written contract and
(quote) the statute of frauds precludes enforcement of
non-written contracts.

That's the legal opinion on the matter, or so Tauger claims. Of course,
that's the same guy who once threatened to sue an airline because there
was an infant in his row, but then again he is a licensed lawyer, and
a licensed lawyer he told us that an e-ticket is not a written contract
and the statute of frauds precludes enforcement of non-writen contracts.

Old February 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"VS" wrote"
As our resident gasbag^H^H^H^H lawyer, Paul Tauger,
claimed many times,
(quote) an e-ticket is an oral promise and
(quote) an e-ticket is not a written contract and
(quote) the statute of frauds precludes enforcement of
non-written contracts.
That's the legal opinion on the matter, or so Tauger claims.

"Hogwash." First off, under the UCC, sales which do not satisfy
the statute of frauds are enforceable, if payment has been made
and accepted. But more importantly, under the federal Electronic
Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, "[A] signature,
contract or other record relating to [a transaction in or affecting
interstate or foreign commerce] may not be denied legal effect,
validity, or enforceability solely because it is in electronic form,"
and "a contract relating to [a transaction in or affecting interstate
or foreign commerce] may not be denied legal effect, validity, or
enforceability solely because an electronic signature or electronic
record was used in its formation." [I am also an attorney.]

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:55:26 -0500, "Rog'"
wrote:

"VS" wrote"
[...]

A competent one instead of the other guy?
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Feb 13, 11:39 am, "KGB" (KGB)
wrote:

That being the case, a paperticket is a waste of time anyway; you may
as well just turn up at the check-in and tell them the reservation
(i.e. e-ticket) number yourself.

I had an interesting experience a few months back. Northwest cancelled
their flight between Memphis and Denver, on which I had a reservation
and paper ticket, and re-booked me on a NW flight to Wichita, with the
connecting flight on UA to Denver. After I got yo Wichita, the United
staff at the gate refused to issue me a boarding card, claiming they
did not have me in their computer and asked -- you guessed it -- for a
paper ticket. Yuck. I had to run to the NW counter outside the
security zone, find someone who was not out to lunch (most were), have
them issue a ticket, go next to the United counter, have them issue a
boarding card, return to the gate through security (which gave me a
special treatment) and barely get on the plane that was ready to
leave. Not an experience I would like to repeat. A paper ticket would
save me all that trouble. So beware.

jrk

Regards

KGB

Old February 14th, 2008, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On Feb 14, 11:18*am, wrote:
On Feb 13, 11:39 am, "KGB" (KGB)
wrote:

[...]

Not exactly. I suspect your problem began because of that
original
paper ticket you had. If you had had an e-ticket, they may not have
asked for one. Dunno though.
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
airsafe

On Feb 11, 11:48 am, wrote:
Hi again all

I just found out from my friend that has been making all of our travel
plans through American Express on the internet for our Hawaiian trip
that I owe him $75 above the ticket price/taxes. He says that United
charges $75 for paper tickets. My reply is that I am fine e-ticket and
don't think I should have to pay him for the outrageous fee. His
response is that United in the past has had problems finding his e-
ticket reservation and so he now always gets a paper ticket. I don't
fly that often, but when I seem to have no problems with my
reservation and I always have an e-ticket.

Do any of you select paper tickets instead on electronic ones and why?
Do any of you have problems with United or other airlines finding your
reservations when you have an e-ticket?

HBS

You should always keep a paper copy of your e-ticket information handy
in case you have a problem and need to file a complaint. I've got
extensive resources on making complaints at http://airsafe.com/complain/complain.htm
that gives you advice on what information is most important, and an
online form you can use to send your complaint to the AirSafe.com
Foundation.
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

airsafe wrote:

On Feb 11, 11:48 am, wrote:

[...]

Why would you need a paper copy to make a complaint?
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

SNIP
You should always keep a paper copy of your e-ticket information handy
in case you have a problem and need to file a complaint. I've got
extensive resources on making complaints at http://airsafe.com/complain/complain.htm
that gives you advice on what information is most important, and an
online form you can use to send your complaint to the AirSafe.com
Foundation.

Why would you need a paper copy to make a complaint?

Hi

I have recently returned from a trip to Antarctica. In order to join
the ship, my flights (from the UK with British Airways) were Heathrow
to Buenos Aires then Buenos Aires to Ushuaia.

However, an hour into the Heathrow-Buenos Aires leg, the plane
developed instrument problems and had to return to Heathrow. We were
told that BA would reschedule our flights for the following day and
over-nighted us in a hotel at their expense.

British Airways then told me that they could only re-book me as far as
Buenos Aires because, according to their own computer, the Buenos
Aires-Ushuaia leg was on a separate ticket with a different airline
(Aerolineas Argentinas) and had been booked separately by my travel
agent, so I would have to sort that leg out with the travel agent or
the other airline. After disputing this with them, they were quite
adamant the second flight was definitely on a separate ticket and
therefore not their responsibility, so eventually I showed them the
e-ticket information I had printed out at home from the "my booking"
page of the British Airways own web site which clearly showed the
entire flight as being on one e-ticket.

British Airways then agreed that my print-out did indeed show both
flights as being on a single ticket, they photocopied my printout and
promptly found me a seat (with Aerolineas Argentinas) from Buenos
Aires to Ushuaia. The re-scheduled flights then went smoothly and I
joined the ship on time.

However, if I hadn't printed out a paper copy of my e-ticket
information from the BA website I would not have been able to prove
that it was BA's responsibility to get me all the way to Ushuaia and
NOT just to Buenos Aires - and of course my vacation would probably
have been ruined.

Regards

KGB

Old February 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:48:07 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi again all

I just found out from my friend that has been making all of our travel
plans through American Express on the internet for our Hawaiian trip
that I owe him $75 above the ticket price/taxes. He says that United
charges $75 for paper tickets. My reply is that I am fine e-ticket and
don't think I should have to pay him for the outrageous fee. His
response is that United in the past has had problems finding his e-
ticket reservation and so he now always gets a paper ticket. I don't
fly that often, but when I seem to have no problems with my
reservation and I always have an e-ticket.

Do any of you select paper tickets instead on electronic ones and why?
Do any of you have problems with United or other airlines finding your
reservations when you have an e-ticket?

HBS

Your friend is either hyper-paranoid or having one on with you. If
you have the confirmation number for your res...or better if he made
the res using your Mileage Plus number...you do have one don't you?...
you can look up the reservation yourself.

If you can see it, United can see it. A paper ticket won't help if
they query their system and the reservation isn't in it. It's been a
very long time since the ticket itself was enough to guarentee a
reservation existed.

Last time in about five years that I used a paper ticket was a booking
via Lufthansa to Italy in which Lufthansa required a paper ticket for
some reason....their game, their rules.

Jim P.