off to San Jose, Costa Rica. Whoopie!

Old March 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
pc

Default off to San Jose, Costa Rica. Whoopie!

I've just learned I'm headed to San Jose next week on business.

Fly Tuesday, set up Weds. teach Thurs, Fri, Mon, Tues.

I've got a weekend there on the boss-man, and I'm staying five days on
the tail of the trip on my own.

I like beaches and mountains. Would love to see the canopy. Perhaps
go snorkeling (I may take my mask and snorkle but no room for fins.)
I figure I'll probably stay in San Jose the first weekend and check
out the museums and nightlife.

I don't want to spend _all_ of my time driving after the job is done,
but I'm comfortable in a 4WD vehicle, and speak enough Spanish to get
by. (Was married to a Cubana for practically a lifetime....)

Recommendations?

tanks

pc
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
it

On 28 Mar, 15:04, pc wrote:
I've just learned I'm headed to San Jose next week on business.

Fly Tuesday, set up Weds. teach Thurs, Fri, Mon, Tues.

I've got a weekend there on the boss-man, and I'm staying five days on
the tail of the trip on my own.

I like beaches and mountains. Would love to see the canopy. Perhaps
go snorkeling (I may take my mask and snorkle but no room for fins.)
I figure I'll probably stay in San Jose the first weekend and check
out the museums and nightlife.

I don't want to spend _all_ of my time driving after the job is done,
but I'm comfortable in a 4WD vehicle, and speak enough Spanish to get
by. (Was married to a Cubana for practically a lifetime....)

Recommendations?

tanks

pc

hope you like fried chicken.....
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Calif Bill

"pc" wrote in message
I've just learned I'm headed to San Jose next week on business.

Fly Tuesday, set up Weds. teach Thurs, Fri, Mon, Tues.

I've got a weekend there on the boss-man, and I'm staying five days on
the tail of the trip on my own.

I like beaches and mountains. Would love to see the canopy. Perhaps
go snorkeling (I may take my mask and snorkle but no room for fins.)
I figure I'll probably stay in San Jose the first weekend and check
out the museums and nightlife.

I don't want to spend _all_ of my time driving after the job is done,
but I'm comfortable in a 4WD vehicle, and speak enough Spanish to get
by. (Was married to a Cubana for practically a lifetime....)

Recommendations?

tanks

pc

San Jose is good for a day or two at most. Remember that Costa Rica is
about the size of West Virginia. You can stand on the mountain at Poas and
see both the Pacific and Caribbean. Road travel is not that fast, about
60-80 kph is the speed limit, and they do stop you for speeding. But the
roads do not support much more speed than that. Best snorkeling was at Isla
Tortugas. We went from Curu and was $30 + $5 for gear. and they supplied
all the fruit and non alcoholic drink needed. You can drive to Punta Arenas
and take the ferry to Pacera for about $12 for you and car. We stayed in
Pacera at Hotel Ginana for about $30 /night. Good hotel. About 5 kliks
from Curu. No snorkeling on the Carib side as lots of nasty Bull sharks.
Go to Santa Elena and Monteverde for the canopy. We did it at Selvatura.
Quickest route is to Las Juntas and then to Santa Elena. Bad road,
whichever way you go to Monteverde. Rent a 4x4.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
pc

On Mar 28, 8:37*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"pc" wrote in message

[...]

whichever way you go to Monteverde. *Rent a 4x4.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks! I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

I think I'm going north to the volcano country. I'd love to have some
recommendations on places to stay near Laguna Arneal. I guess they
have lots of hot springs up there. I'd like to find a central place
to stay to explore the area, but more importantly, I would like to
stay at a place with the naturally heated pools. Small time or
resort. Modest price to (not excessive.)

Suggestions, 'yall?

tanks

pc
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
pc

On Mar 28, 8:04*am, pc wrote:
I've just learned I'm headed to San Jose next week on business.

Fly Tuesday, set up Weds. teach Thurs, Fri, Mon, Tues.

I've got a weekend there on the boss-man, and I'm staying five days on
the tail of the trip on my own.

I like beaches and mountains. *Would love to see the canopy. *Perhaps
go snorkeling (I may take my mask and snorkle but no room for fins.)
I figure I'll probably stay in San Jose the first weekend and check
out the museums and nightlife.

I don't want to spend _all_ of my time driving after the job is done,
but I'm comfortable in a 4WD vehicle, and speak enough Spanish to get
by. *(Was married to a Cubana for practically a lifetime....)

Recommendations?

tanks

pc

I'm new at the GPS hardware. In a hurry (I hadn't much time to
prepare for the trip) I bought a Nuvi 260W at Fry's for $279
[apparently an excellent price], and some map software from Rutas
Satelitales in San Jose, CR via the internet and PayPal. Make sure to
order a couple of days in advance, as this appears to be a home based
family business. They have a number in Miami - 305-609-8381. Their
web site is Spanish. Somehow a lifetime ago I stumbled into an
English version, but couldn't find it today for love or money:

You can also reach us by telephone:

In USA: 305-609-8381.
In Costa Rica: Country code 506, phone 8362-6298 [or is it
2362-6298?? depends mobile or land line... pc]
Also, our fax number in Costa Rica is 431-9252. [ likely is
2431-9252....as of now, pc]

Web site lists as business front as "Smart Ways."

Abbey at R.S. Miami told me the software worked "just like the built
in Garman software", but in fact, it's different if you are talking
about how the Garmin stuff works in the USA and Europe. Don't plan on
searching by address (even IF you can get one -- it's fascinating that
most places don't advertise an address here.) Once I figured that
out, it's doing a good job. Be careful, though, as several times
today it instructed me to turn the wrong way down a one way street,
and it led me into a couple of dead ends in downtown San Jose last
night. The hookers thought I was a real scream, driving around and
around.

The R.S. tech support is excellent. They gave me Sergio's mobile
number, and he still managed to be pleasant and helpful when I woke
him up really late last weekend. Very patient, helpful, a nice guy.

Don't believe what your travel agent tells you, virtually ALL of the
auto rental companies can rent you a GPS. As I recall the rates were
in the $10-$15 range per day. Not bad if you are going to be there a
week and don't want to screw with the learning curve like I was forced
to do, since my company travel agent told me Avis didn't have GPS
units (they do... same machine as mine, different map software, I'll
report back when I remember to on that.)

OH.. AND... of course, the week immediately prior to my arrival, they
changed they way all the phone numbers work. You have to put a 2 in
front of the local 7 digit number for a land line phone, and an 8 in
front if the target phone is a mobile. The assholes at Sprint kept
telling me I had too many digits when I had to call the operator
because they hadn't updated their direct dial systems, and had the
temerity to hang up on me when I insisted she was mistaken.
Assholes. Hear that, Sprint? You are assholes.

Ho hum! Life goes on.

I hope this is helpful information for any and all.

pc
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
pc

On Apr 2, 4:30*pm, pc wrote:
On Mar 28, 8:04*am, pc wrote:

[...]

pc- Hide quoted text -

that is INFO where google blanked it out. Just as well!

pc
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Calif Bill

"pc" wrote in message
On Mar 28, 8:04 am, pc wrote:
[...]

We rented the GPS and for a month was less than the software for our Nuvi.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Calif Bill

"pc" wrote in message

[...]

Tabacon and Baldi are the 2 thermal parks. Tabacon and Baldi are way more
than modest price. Lots of lodging in town. We stayed in some Cabinas for
$45 (overpriced) because there was a big bike race the weekend we were
there. You can buy an all day pass for Baldi (very nice place) for about
$18 downtown as opposed to the $26 at the door. There are places
advertising the price on signs outside. To view the volcano at night follow
the signs to the Volcano Observatory and drive past the entrance about
another mile and you will see a creek, pass over the bridge and park the car
with all the busses and taxicabs that charge you $10 to drive you there.
Google La Fortuna and Arenal for lodging.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
it

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=arenal&w=15984551%40N00
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
pc_whocares

On Apr 2, 3:30 pm, pc wrote:
On Mar 28, 8:04 am, pc wrote:

[...]

The SmartWays map software was a huge disappointment. Below is a
message I sent to the principals at Rutas Satelitales GPS, S.A, five
days ago that has gone unanswered.

###################

Sergio and Abbey:

I appreciate your assistance in getting my software up and running on
such short notice. You were both very helpful, and I appreciate it.

That being said, your map software for Costa Rica has a very, very
long way to go.

I simply cannot tell you

* how many times it told me to turn the wrong way down one way
streets

* how it wasted a half day of my time trying to get from Aranjuela
to Paos Vulcan... it drove me up and down steep, unimproved dirt
roads (which required 4WD) and ended at a beautiful creek, no place
near the volcano

* how many times it told me to turn into a non-existent road

* how many times it told me to turn down a private driveway or
locked gate

* how many times it dragged me into a dark, dead end alley in San
Jose at midnight (!) (The hookers downtown thought I was a real
scream)

* how many times it told me to turn when it was only a curve in
the road (it chatters incessantly while driving route 1 from the
airport to the junction for route 3 to La Grecia, with so much
incorrect and meaningless information that I turned the volume down)

* how many times it failed to tell me to turn when one was, in
fact, required

This software was just barely better than none at all. I really do not
understand how you can, in good conscience, sell it. I write software
for a living, and if I produced products like this, I would be fired
in an instant.

I am not angry. I am, however, deeply disappointed.

mac