Westminister Abbey

Old July 6th, 2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Westminister Abbey

I will be visiting London in Aug an plan to visit all the "usual
suspects" (Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London
etc). My question is, should we buy tickets to Westminister Abbey in
advance if so where do we buy them. Or do we need advance tickets at
all? Last year when we toured Italy & France alot of the sites had
huge lines but if one bought their tickets in advance they did not
have to wait in the queues (lines for those of us from across the
pond). Our time is limited so we would like to speed things up if
at all possible.
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

wrote in message
I will be visiting London in Aug an plan to visit all the "usual
suspects" (Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London
etc). My question is, should we buy tickets to Westminister Abbey in
advance if so where do we buy them.

Go to Evensong and get in free! (Whether or not you believe in God, you can
enjoy the music.)

Alan Harrison

Old July 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
alexr

On Jul 5, 8:25 pm, wrote:
I will be visiting London in Aug an plan to visit all the "usual
suspects" (Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London
etc). My question is, should we buy tickets to Westminister Abbey in
advance if so where do we buy them. Or do we need advance tickets at
all? Last year when we toured Italy & France alot of the sites had
huge lines but if one bought their tickets in advance they did not
have to wait in the queues (lines for those of us from across the
pond). Our time is limited so we would like to speed things up if
at all possible.

Make sure you take the tour given by the vergers, it's excellent even
though there might be an extra fee attached.
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

alexr wrote:
On Jul 5, 8:25 pm, wrote:
I will be visiting London in Aug an plan to visit all the "usual
suspects" (Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London
etc). My question is, should we buy tickets to Westminister Abbey in
advance if so where do we buy them.

I've never had to wait to get into Westminster Abbey. However, do be
aware that as a house of worship it can sometimes be closed to visitors
at unexpected times. On one trip it was closed on a Saturday morning for
a private confirmation service; the upside was that when it reopened in
the afternoon, motor coach groups were not allowed in, leaving more room
for the tourists who had wished to visit earlier in the day. If
Westminster is a "must" on your list -- and I visit every time I can --
place it early in your itinerary so that you can catch a makeup visit if
necessary. They usually close the Abbey about 30 minutes before Evensong
and "sweep" out visitors (so earlier in the day is also better). Of
course, anyone is welcome to reenter for the worship service (and I
highly recommend it) but realize the ushers and vergers do not encourage
sightseeing during or after the service.