safe travel in Malaysia?

Old February 28th, 2005, 10:01 AM
dajaxon

Default safe travel in Malaysia?

I will be travelling alone with rather expensive camera and was wondering
what tips are out here about Kuala L. and other locations interms of safe
travel - or shall I asume Americas ae hated thee as well???

DJ

Old February 28th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Gerrit 't Hart

"dajaxon" wrote in message
I will be travelling alone with rather expensive camera and was wondering
what tips are out here about Kuala L. and other locations interms of safe
travel - or shall I asume Americas ae hated thee as well???

DJ

Do you go around waving a big flag?
If you just act like a normal human being (not a Yank :-) ) then you should
be OK.
I have never felt threatened in KL (or anywhere else in Malaysia for that
matter) even during the days when the Prime Minister was railing against
Australia.

Gerrit - Oz

Old February 28th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Miguel Cruz

dajaxon wrote:
I will be travelling alone with rather expensive camera and was wondering
what tips are out here about Kuala L. and other locations interms of safe
travel - or shall I asume Americas ae hated thee as well???

Americans are beloved here in KL (as well as everywhere else except the
graduate student lounge at certain European universities). Be sensible about
how you carry your camera (in a bag that's not easy to grab) and you will
have nothing to worry about.

Also, just as a bit of sociology trivia, people don't steal cameras because
they hate the nationality of the camera's owner.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissä
dajaxon wrote:
I will be travelling alone with rather expensive camera and was

wondering
what tips are out here about Kuala L. and other locations interms of

safe
travel - or shall I asume Americas ae hated thee as well???

Americans are beloved here in KL (as well as everywhere else except the
graduate student lounge at certain European universities). Be sensible

about

That we don't stone Americans to their death is a matter of courtesy not of
love.

Old February 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Miguel Cruz

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti:
Americans are beloved here in KL (as well as everywhere else except the
graduate student lounge at certain European universities).

That we don't stone Americans to their death is a matter of courtesy not of
love.

You can't fool me. I went to a bar in Helsinki and identified myself as
American and a table of Finns bought me drinks.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Thomas Stalder

Miguel Cruz wrote:

You can't fool me. I went to a bar in Helsinki and identified myself as
American and a table of Finns bought me drinks.

They were drunk already? :-)

--
Aloha, Thomas

Old February 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Please, the Americans are hated thing is nothing more but a propaganda
the mass media is launching to terrorize the world.

U.S.A. citizens are affraid to travel, while foreign citizens are
affraid that they might get the negative percussions (loss in tourism,
loss in reputation, and so on) because they are labeled as
anti-American.

In other words, we know who is really the terror organizations out
there.

As for carrying an expensive camera.

Well... In K.L. and also everywhere else, the secret is to not let
people know that you're carrying something valueable. Another way is
somehow to make the camera and you somehow into one, if someone decided
to take your camera, he/she also have to take you along with it.

Old February 28th, 2005, 05:19 PM
PeterL

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
dajaxon wrote:
I will be travelling alone with rather expensive camera and was

wondering
what tips are out here about Kuala L. and other locations interms of

safe
travel - or shall I asume Americas ae hated thee as well???

Americans are beloved here in KL (as well as everywhere else except the
graduate student lounge at certain European universities). Be sensible

about
how you carry your camera (in a bag that's not easy to grab) and you will
have nothing to worry about.

Also, just as a bit of sociology trivia, people don't steal cameras

because
they hate the nationality of the camera's owner.

Damn, and here I thought wearing a maple leaf shirt's going to protect all
my expensive camera gear.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old February 28th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Miguel Cruz says...

That we don't stone Americans to their death is a matter of courtesy not of
love.

You can't fool me. I went to a bar in Helsinki and identified myself as
American and a table of Finns bought me drinks.

....what ? They didn't stone you ???
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Spehro Pefhany

dajaxon wrote:
I will be travelling alone with rather expensive camera and was

wondering
what tips are out here about Kuala L. and other locations interms of

safe
travel - or shall I asume Americas ae hated thee as well???

Americans are beloved here in KL (as well as everywhere else except the
graduate student lounge at certain European universities). Be sensible

about
how you carry your camera (in a bag that's not easy to grab) and you will
have nothing to worry about.

Also, just as a bit of sociology trivia, people don't steal cameras

because
they hate the nationality of the camera's owner.

Damn, and here I thought wearing a maple leaf shirt's going to protect all
my expensive camera gear.

You can be sure that the thrives have only the purest of commercial
motives, rather than making a political statement. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany