35 days in NZ & 90 days in OZ

Old September 11th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Doug Clark

Default 35 days in NZ & 90 days in OZ

We have finished NZ and I thought cost might be of interest.

total cost $168 us per day

Gas was $26 nzd per day

We put about 8,500 km on thr car

rental was $33 nzd per day

Housing was $73 nzd per day. This included 10 days in a condo, 3 days
in motels and the rest of the nights in One or two bedroom flats in
Holiday parks.

Our other costs were 140 nzd per day. We did not cook any meals from
start. We eat prepared food fron the grocery or deli or resturants.
Both High dollar and cheap. I think food is about 25% higher that
non-tourist New York or home town.

Doug Clark

Housing

"Tim A" wrote in message ...
I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your trip!

Tim

"Doug Clark" wrote in message
om...
Two weeks in, we are averaging sleeping for $80nz with 2 sleeping
areas. Holiday parks appear to be the best options.

Breakaway had the best overall car deal. $33 per day for a 1998
corolla. unlimited milage.

We have used a book called "weedend food lovers guide to New Zealand"

Doug Clark

"tvbug" wrote in message

"Tim A" wrote in message
Who has this kind of time to travel?

Just miss fits like me who give up perfectly good jobs.

Old September 12th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Richard at
wrote on 9/11/03 8:23 PM:

(Doug Clark) wrote in
om:

We have finished NZ and I thought cost might be of interest.

total cost $168 us per day

Gas was $26 nzd per day

We put about 8,500 km on thr car

rental was $33 nzd per day

Housing was $73 nzd per day. This included 10 days in a condo, 3 days
in motels and the rest of the nights in One or two bedroom flats in
Holiday parks.

Our other costs were 140 nzd per day. We did not cook any meals from
start. We eat prepared food fron the grocery or deli or resturants.
Both High dollar and cheap. I think food is about 25% higher that
non-tourist New York or home town.

Doug Clark

Housing

Repeating your info:

Gas was $26 nzd per day

rental was $33 nzd per day

Housing was $73 nzd per day.

other costs $140 nzd per day

First of all, I'm wondering just what "other costs" would add up to $NZ
140/day? This is an average,I suppose, but of what?

Adding your figures, we get gas/rental/housing equals $132 nzd and 'other
costs' are $140 more, or $272 total, quite a bit more than the $168 total
costs that you state.

Bit confusing!

We're trying to estimate our trip to Australia as well, and have come up
with a figure of $150 AUS/day as a minimum.

Richard

This is a 'piece of string' question, Richard, as you know....how much will
the questioner be moving about, and how (these are major line
items)....booze? Entertainment? How many stars where the bed is located?
I've spent as little as absolutely nothing, or as much as four figures per
day (when packing up fuel and food and getting the troopie ready for a trip
out bush)

Old September 12th, 2003, 10:41 AM
vicki Steven

in article , Doug Clark at
wrote on 12/9/03 10:36 AM:

We have finished NZ and I thought cost might be of interest.

total cost $168 us per day

For how many people?

Vicki

Old September 13th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Doug Clark

Sorry if I confused it.

Two of us

About 8000 km travel

Less than $100 per day per person

vicki Steven wrote in message ...
in article , Doug Clark at

Old September 20th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Doug Clark

We are finishing 10 days in Sydney tomorrow.

Here are some cost in local money

2 Bed room apt at circleler Quay = $750 per week

sunday NYT = $30 "i did not buy it"

stand ticket at the opera = $35

weekly pass for rail, bus & Ferry = $40

Lunch at Doyles on Watson Bay = $45 per person

Special Lunch at the fine resturants during "good Food Month" = $35 pp

Meal at international food court on George $8 pp

Meal at Eating World in Chinatown = $12 pp

In total, we spend about $65 pp per day not counting housing.

Doug Clark

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:28 PM
SportChick

Wow! We did NZ for two months and managed it (for two) on US$50/day. AU
was US$60/day. We were camping in both places, bought a car for both places
(and sold it again...made a slight profit in NZ and a loss in AU, but
overall, much cheaper than renting a car for two months in each place).
Generally, we cooked our own food and stayed in holiday parks.

I hope you're enjoying your trip!

Donna
http://www.KirkandDonna.com/

"Richard" wrote in message