I recently had the worst moules-frites in the world...

Old June 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Steve Slatcher

Default I recently had the worst moules-frites in the world...

On 05/06/2012 01:31, David Horne wrote:

half were dead,
and the ones that opened were not up to much, and hadn't been cleaned.

You seem to imply that the closed ones were dead before they were pulled
out of the sea. Not so:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...29/2404364.htm

But if they tasted bad, that is another matter.

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
David Horne[_2_]

Steve Slatcher wrote:

On 05/06/2012 01:31, David Horne wrote:

half were dead,
and the ones that opened were not up to much, and hadn't been cleaned.

You seem to imply that the closed ones were dead before they were pulled
out of the sea. Not so:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...29/2404364.htm

But if they tasted bad, that is another matter.

11.5% not opening is one thing, 50% quite another.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Barnaby Page

On Jun 5, 10:47*am, Martin wrote:

When you buy mussels from a fish merchant etc. in UK do you have to
clean them?

Sometimes, sometimes not. Supermarket ones will be clean but those
bought directly from a fishery may well not be, for example.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Beer Tricks Potter

On Jun 5, 2:31*am, (David Horne) wrote:
In Brussels! We were shocked- had it there many times before (not in
that restaurant), and it was fine. These were horrid, half were dead,
and the ones that opened were not up to much, and hadn't been cleaned.
Bleah. We returned the dish, refused to pay, and left with a discount on
the drinks. Still, not a pleasant experience. I've named them on
tripadvisor for those that read there, should appear in a few days.

(Hope the cross-post is considered appropriate as food outside the UK
often comes up in the UK group.)

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgatewww.davidhorne.net(email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." *-Harry Patch (1898-2009)

you should have gone to Jezus-Eik...
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Runge 666[_2_]

here he comes...

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 12:08:21 +0100, Mike.. . . .
wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 06:49:27 +0200, "Runge 666"
wrote:

lovely, a crosspost to a no longer functional group produces the
usual. Why bother?

Your filters need fixing. Runge 666 LOL!!!
--

Martin

Old June 5th, 2012, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Runge 666[_2_]

I was sure martin would bite on that thread !
The more stupid, the merrier.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:39:22 +0100,
(David Horne)
wrote:

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

Am Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:49:05 +0000 schrieb Maurice ON4BAM:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:36:00 +0100,
(David Horne)
wrote:

I don't know where they were from, except they were disgusting. It was
first for me... just glad we didn't pay.

It's not "mussel season" yet. Try again in about 6-8 weeks time.
There's an old saying here that mussels are only to be eaten in moths
that have an "R" in them.

That's how I learned it from my grandfather. I personally would find it
risky to eat mussels in the warm season, as it can make you seroiusly
ill,
if one of them is bad (botulism).

I've been eating mussels year round all over the world (probably
starting in the US...) and have never had food poisoning that I'm aware
of.

I got food poisoning every time I had mussels in Cherbourg in the
1960s.
I thought I was allergic to them, until I ate mussels in Holland and
never had a problem. Friends who ate mussels with me in Cherbourg
weren't ill afterwards.
--

Martin

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Jack Campin

I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
David Horne[_2_]

Barnaby Page wrote:

On Jun 5, 10:47 am, Martin wrote:

When you buy mussels from a fish merchant etc. in UK do you have to
clean them?

Sometimes, sometimes not. Supermarket ones will be clean but those
bought directly from a fishery may well not be, for example.

I might be misunderstanding the definition of clean here- the
supermarket ones I buy need debearding (I'm not sure I'd want to buy
them otherwise?), but the outsides are clean.

David