NYC-Should I drive or not? Also-How do I get to Coney Island?

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Pan

Default NYC-Should I drive or not? Also-How do I get to Coney Island?

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 04:12:23 GMT, Brian Wickham
wrote:

[snip]
If you take a ride on the ferry it isn't as long as some others have
said. Yes, they leave every half hour but the trip is 20 minutes with
a ten minute turnaround.

[snip]

25 minutes, I think.

I agree that trying to fit Coney Island into a day in Manhattan is
well-nigh impossible, but the way to get there would be by subway
(several lines; consult the subway map at www.mta.info).

For what it's worth, it's the general consensus on www.egullet.com
that Katz's serves the best pastrami in New York.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

Old August 10th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Icono Clast

"Eddie Type 2" wrote:
NYC from Atlantic City
American Museum of Natural History

My first visit to New York, that was my first destination. Little did
I know that it would take me a week to get through it. I revisited my
last time there. It's much nicer now.

Coney Island

My penulitimate visit, I drove from Atlantic City across the Verazzano
Narrows Bridge, the Cyclone Racer clearly in sight. I went directly to
it, parked in front of a hot dog stand closer than 200 feet to it, and
got my airtime fix.

I didn't have a hot dog at Nathan's that time, but my first visit,
many decades ago, is still a vivid memory.

As others have suggested, I wouldn't dream of trying to do all that
you would like in one day. However, what I do in my travels is avoid
commercial districts until late at night when I can drive at 5mph and
look at the buildings and even stop at will to peek through a lobby
window. Cops consider my behaviour to be curious but that's not a
problem. You can't do dat in Manhattan, though.

Katz's Deli has been recommended to you. I had the honor of being
taken there by a participant in this forum who knew what one needs to
know to get the best out of it . . . and we did.
A roller-coaster freak in San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Old August 10th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Eddie Type 2

Default NYC-Should I drive or not? Also-How do I get to Coney Island?-NOW WHAT??

Hi all,

Based on the posts I've received from others, I am now VERY concerned that I
shouldn't even consider going to NYC ......We were planning on going on
either a Thursday or Friday. All I wanted to do was drive by a few places,
spend a few hours in a museum and spend a few hours at Coney Island, but
everyone is saying that this is just too ambitious to do in one day???? I
am very disappointed. One posted is now telling me that I cannot even get
into the parking at the Museum because of school buses!......I don't what to
think!

I suppose I will just tell the family that we should forget the idea of
going to NYC...............there obviously isn't enough time, we're going on
the wrong day, we can't get into the parking lot at the Museum, the Staten
Island Ferry is too crowded and takes too long, the planetarium shows cost
too much and are too short, Carnegie deli sucks (probably no parking
either), and driving through the city is impossible and frustrating, so
seeing some of the sites with a drive-by is just impossible. Finally, I
will tell them that going to Coney Island is not worth it and that it's too
far out of the way and it will take more than 1 hour to get there!

I'm so frustrated!........my daughter really wanted a liberty crown, but I
suppose she won't get one on this trip.

Thanks for all the comments.

Eddie

"Eddie Type 2" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am new to this group. I am planning a day trip up to NYC from Atlantic
City next week sometime. We will be staying in Atlantic City for 4 days and
I would like to take one day to visit NYC.

My particular point of interest for me and family (wife, Daughter14, Son12,
Son4) is to go to the American Museum of Natural History and also the Hady
Planetarium.

I am limited as to how far I can walk and paying for parking is not a
problem if I am able to minimize any walking distances.

I was thinking that I would like to do the following things........

1. Drive through Manhattan to see Broadway, The Empire State Building, The
United Nations.
2. Find a place to park and go to the Carnegie Deli.
3. Park at the American Museum of Natural History and visit the Museum and
Planetarium.
4. Drive down to Battery Park and park the car near the Staten Island Ferry
so that we can take the Ferry and see the Statue of Liberty from a distance
(no desire to go to Ellis Island).
5. Would like to drive the car to Coney Island, park and go on a few rides
and eat a frank at Nathan's.

Any comments, directions, suggested routes, suggested streets to drive down,
places to park that are close by my desired destinations, and how drive to
Coney Island from Manhattan and then get back to Atlantic City would be
sincerely appreciated!!!

I have maps, but sometimes it's better to hear from people who know the
area.

Thx,

Eddie

Old August 10th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Roger B.

IMO everyone should drive in Manhattan once in their lives, to be
able to say they've done it. One of my most memorable drives was
with my cousins when we went to JFK to pick up a full-size harp
that stuck out the back of a station-wagon, and driving it almost the
full length of Broadway. What a hoot! BTW, there are parking
garages, when you can pay small fortune to park, and the Mus. of
Natural History has a subway stop. [R]

"Eddie Type 2" wrote...

Old August 10th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Miguel Cruz

Eddie Type 2 wrote:
[...]

I don't really understand your reaction. What people are telling you is that
New York is so excellent that you won't be able to squeeze it all in in just
one day.

If someone offered to take you to an excellent restaurant would you turn the
invitation down because you wouldn't have time to eat all of the things on
the menu in one sitting?

It's just impractical to try to do that many things (4 days in Atlantic City
and one in NYC???) in such a short time. So you might as well pick a few
things that are the most important, and play the rest by ear. Better some
fun than none.

miguel