Gregory highway

Old January 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Frank Slootweg

A little over two days ago, I wrote:
Jack wrote:
I have NEVER heard of rentals being banned from unsealed roads.

Show us some links to back up your claim

I don't see why I should do your homework for you, especially because,
as I wrote, such conditions are the *norm*, not the exception, but since
you ask so 'nicely', here is just *one* example:

[http://www.thrifty.com.au/Terms:]

T 3. USE OF VEHICLE
T (2) The Vehicle must not be used by You or by any Authorised Driver
T (unless authorised by Us in writing):
T d) On any unsealed road (being a road not sealed with a hard material
T such as tar, bitumen or concrete) unless the Vehicle is a 4WD in which
T case it may also be used on graded unsealed roads. No Vehicle (including
T 4WDs) may be used on off road conditions. Off road conditions include
T but not is limited to fire trails, beaches, sand, tracks, fields or
T paddocks.

So, now in return, *you* show us a (somewhat) major rental company
which does *not* have this condition.

The silence is deafening.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:47 AM
Grandad \(Derek\)

Jack wrote:
[...]

You're right Frank - but what the hire company dont know dont hurt! My mrs
returned from a trip with her sister to WA recently, hired a car, with the
usual "keep on the sealed roads" conditions - but found that it was possible
to break down on an unsealed road and still keep your $500 bond. A towie she
spoke to said that for $50 he could tow her to a sealed road, and report the
tow to the rental company from there. (Not that she'd do such a thing of
course!)
Grandad

Old March 15th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Frank Slootweg

[Very late response due to extended absence. Guess why and where! :-)]

Jack wrote:
[...]

Well for normal cars you might get away with it, but with campervans
it could go like this:

[Me calling the 1800 number on the campervan.]

Britz: How can we help you.

Me: "I am confused. I'm on the [insert (long) unslealed road] and I'm
looking at one of your 2WD campervans. I thought they weren't allowed on
unsealed roads, but it looks they are. Can you confirm/deny?"

Britz: "Can you give me the rego?"

Me: "Of course. It is ....".

:-)