Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Carole Allen[_1_]

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:47:32 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:
I hate to have to admit this, but I have a Junghans watch which synchronises
with the MSF transmitter (it is 10 years old). And I have both a computer
and a PDA. At which point the comparison with Mixi is at an end. Rumour hath
it that he is finding Paris too hot in the Summer and is thinking of
relocating to Seattle.

JohnT

Dear Mixi: it rains here 390 days each year. We have slugs the size
of 5 story buildings. And spiders. Sasquatch runs wild in the hills.
Black bears routinely show up in local backuyards. [This one is
true.] Mt. St. Helens could blow at any time, smothering us all in
ash and/or lava and or mudflows. Seattle sits right on a major fault
line - we have had big earthquakes before and will have them again one
day. We have lots of smog alert days due to inversions. Traffic
sucks. Our baseball team sucks. The guy who started Starbuck's lives
here. Also Bill Gates. And Paul Allen. Oh, and we are a port city
with port protection not adequately funded by Homeland Security. And
we have a nuclear submarine base just across the Sound. And military
bases all over, south, west, north of us. We are a sitting target for
terrorists. I am sure you would hate it. Perhaps Oslo would be more
to your liking.

I once knew a guy who spent 6 months on some glacier somewhere near
the North Pole. It was just him and one other guy - monitoring some
sort of technical equipment. Doesn't that sound nice? No loud
ruffians to disturb your day, no hot sweaty days, no nasty commutes,
no alcohol. Just lots of time alone where it is nice and cold, and
you can play FS when not monitoring equipment. No real expenses, and
you get paid too.

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Carole Allen[_1_]

wrote:

I hate to have to admit this, but I have a Junghans watch which synchronises
with the MSF transmitter (it is 10 years old). And I have both a computer
and a PDA. At which point the comparison with Mixi is at an end. Rumour hath
it that he is finding Paris too hot in the Summer and is thinking of
relocating to Seattle.

JohnT

Dear Mixi: it rains here 390 days each year.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 03:29:20 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:
Isn't it true that the average rainfall in Seattle is less than that of
some other major US cities?

Ssssh...don't spill our secrets. The official position is that it
rains in some form, from hard driving rain to soft drizzle, the skies
are always gray, we have webbed feet, everyone lives in Gore-Tex
clothing and listens to grunge bands while hopped up on caffeine.
Really. Mixi would hate it.

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
mrtravel[_1_]

wrote:

Isn't it true that the average rainfall in Seattle is less than that of
some other major US cities?

Ssssh...don't spill our secrets.

Just tell them the main carrier is Alaska Airlines. That is bound to
scare people away.
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Sarah Banick

True, but I think that's a different question.

No, its the question I was responding to. No matter what socioeconomic class
you are, an Englishman can get across the Channel to France much quicker
(and probably cheaper) than I can get to the nearest beach.

and most Europeans can just get in the car and drive into a
country with a different language in a few hours. You can do it
by accident!
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on Mayfair
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to JohnT

I suppose it depends on where you live, but I am in North East England and
it is almost 400 miles from here to the Channel.

that's close by US standards

And I can't fly to France
out of NCL today because all flights have been cancelled.

a one off!
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Carole Allen

But he has that watch he can program to the nano-second.

lots of Londoners have fancy watches, total waste of money IMHO.
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

Do you have actual numbers on this? I am really curious to see if that is
true. There are many Americans who have never been out of their state or
region, especially those at the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder.

I suspect the same claims can be made for Europeans of a lower
socioeconomic status.

packaged foreign holidays are looked down on as the preserve of
the lower socioeconomic classes

In the USA even those of lower socioeconomic status sometimes go
to visit relatives several states away.

must be a massive culture shock.
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Sarah Banick

The fact that Europe is Balkanized

LOL
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jim Ley

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 09:49:01 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Carole Allen

But he has that watch he can program to the nano-second.

lots of Londoners have fancy watches, total waste of money IMHO.

They do? It's getting near impossible to find anyone with a watch
these days, it's another thing the mobile phone has killed.

Jim.