Cape Liberty

Old March 1st, 2010, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Cape Liberty

On 2/28/10 3:29 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
We would not even consider a pre cruise hotel since we are so close to
cape liberty,if we deem it impossible to drive the 1-1/2 hours it would
take to get there,we will cancel our cruise,the money is spent wether we
go or not. Thanks everyone for the information sent to me.

Annie, if you could find a hotel near Newark Airport that allowed you to
park there for free during your cruise, you might actually find it
cheaper to get a hotel for one night. That way you could save on the
parking all during the cruise.

--Tom

Old March 1st, 2010, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 2/28/10 12:51 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
Does anyone have a clue as to what kind of a parking lot cape liberty
has? Inside or open lot outside. Thanks
surfer e2468

It's outside, but VERY close to the terminal building. It's actually
just past the building, so the best thing is drop off the luggage, have
one person stay with the luggage, and the other person go park the car.
The walk back to the terminal from the parking lot is less than 3-5
minutes.

--Tom

Old March 1st, 2010, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"peter" wrote in message
On 2/28/2010 7:11 PM, Charles wrote:
In , Surfer
wrote:

Does anyone have a clue as to what kind of a parking lot cape liberty
has? Inside or open lot outside. Thanks
It is an outside parking lot.

At least one of the hotels in nearby Elizabeth, NJ offers a package
including free parking during the time of the cruise. It may or may not
offer inside parking.
Anyone staying in a Newark pre-cruise hotel better be prepared to pay
that $40.cab fare to Cape Liberty...we've done it twice!

At least for Annie who asked about the parking, it would be silly to stay
in a hotel pre-cruise. She lives just about 1 1/2 hours from the pier, an
easy drive.

sue

I realize that, but if it were me (which it isn't) and I thought I'd be
snowed in or the roads would not be safe for travel on the day of the
cruise, I would take my time and go a day early and stay in Newark or
Elizabeth, park at a hotel that provided free parking and take a cab to the
port rather than lose all the money all ready paid for a cruise.

The New Jersey Turnpike which is what Annie would take, is usually
cleared very quickly. If that isn't clear, the roads from a hotel to the
port are less likely to be passable.

sue
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Bill wrote:

It really depends on what the hotel would charge for the overnight stay
and parking, wouldn't it? The pier is $20 a night, I think (maybe more
at this point). Especially if the hotel has an indoor garage, or will
shovel you out if it snows, it could be a better deal than paying to pay
at the pier.

I am pretty sure that hotels near the pier would not have indoor parking.

BTW I do assume they've solved the problem of the paint dots that people
were finding on their cars after returning from their cruise? That was a
few years ago.

Last I read about it on cruisecritic, it seemed to be an on and off
problem,, not a constant one.

sue
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:
On 2/28/10 3:29 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
We would not even consider a pre cruise hotel since we are so close to
cape liberty,if we deem it impossible to drive the 1-1/2 hours it would
take to get there,we will cancel our cruise,the money is spent wether we
go or not. Thanks everyone for the information sent to me.

Annie, if you could find a hotel near Newark Airport that allowed you to
park there for free during your cruise, you might actually find it
cheaper to get a hotel for one night. That way you could save on the
parking all during the cruise.

When we flew to St Thomas we stayed at a hotel near Newark airport
because we had an early flight. We left our car at the hotel while we
were gone and in good weather it was no problem.

Some hotels have fly/cruise/park packages, but the parking is not free
and it looks like parking at the pier is much cheaper. Here is a great
website, we used it to book our fly/park hotel for St. Thomas:
http://www.parksleepfly.com/index.ph...20515&trackID=

Taking a quick look, parking at the pier is cheaper.

sue
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:
On 2/28/10 12:51 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
Does anyone have a clue as to what kind of a parking lot cape liberty
has? Inside or open lot outside. Thanks
surfer e2468

It's outside, but VERY close to the terminal building. It's actually
just past the building, so the best thing is drop off the luggage, have
one person stay with the luggage, and the other person go park the car.
The walk back to the terminal from the parking lot is less than 3-5
minutes.

Isn't there a shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal? There was
one when we cruised on the Azamara Journey.

sue
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 2/28/10 11:08 PM, Sue Mullen wrote:

Tom K wrote:
On 2/28/10 12:51 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
Does anyone have a clue as to what kind of a parking lot cape liberty
has? Inside or open lot outside. Thanks
surfer e2468

It's outside, but VERY close to the terminal building. It's actually
just past the building, so the best thing is drop off the luggage,
have one person stay with the luggage, and the other person go park
the car. The walk back to the terminal from the parking lot is less
than 3-5 minutes.

Isn't there a shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal? There was
one when we cruised on the Azamara Journey.

sue

Last time I parked there the distance from the parking lot to the
terminal building was less than the distance from the pool to the
Windjammer cafe.

What the shuttle was for was from the terminal to the ship. At least
when we went.

--Tom
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:
[...]

I just asked Kevin and we both are pretty sure there was a shuttle from
the parking lot to the check in terminal and another shuttle to the
ship. The parking was easy walking distance, but they did have a shuttle.

We were there in Sept. '07, so things might of changed since then.

sue
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 2/28/2010 11:26 PM, Sue Mullen wrote:

I just asked Kevin and we both are pretty sure there was a shuttle from
the parking lot to the check in terminal and another shuttle to the
ship. The parking was easy walking distance, but they did have a shuttle.

I would not be surprised if there is a shuttle since not everyone can
walk to their cars with their luggage (or has someone who can wait at
the terminal with it) and there is probably further away parking than
the 3-5 that most of us have parked at. I remember when we are on the
Liberty pre-inaugural, they had us park all the way down near where the
ship docked, so when we got off the ship we were able to walk right to
our car, instead of having to take the bus back to the terminal. That
was great!

Bill
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Bill plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 3/1/2010 12:57 AM:
On 2/28/2010 11:26 PM, Sue Mullen wrote:

I just asked Kevin and we both are pretty sure there was a shuttle from
the parking lot to the check in terminal and another shuttle to the
ship. The parking was easy walking distance, but they did have a
shuttle.

I would not be surprised if there is a shuttle since not everyone can
walk to their cars with their luggage (or has someone who can wait at
the terminal with it) and there is probably further away parking than
the 3-5 that most of us have parked at. I remember when we are on the
Liberty pre-inaugural, they had us park all the way down near where
the ship docked, so when we got off the ship we were able to walk
right to our car, instead of having to take the bus back to the
terminal. That was great!

Bill

I know that the hotel issue has been discussed, so I know that Anne
doesn't need a hotel. I am mentioning this for future reference. Last
year, I had a red eye flight to Seattle, WA out of Newark Liberty. I
investigated hotels near the airport. I did not find any with indoor
parking. There may be some further out but in the airport vicinity
there weren't any. As a whole, anything under $75.00 a night was a
dump. There are several chain hotels along Rts 1 & 9 with the rear of
the hotels along a railroad track. The better ones have security
cameras that work, but just the same always check to see that they
haven't been vandalized. Long term parking at these hotels varies in
location.

Here are a few I checked out:

Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport

Located on Rt 1 & 9, acting like a guest, I told the front desk I was
interested in staying there and might I see a room. I was shown a room
in the front of the hotel facing the highway and airport. I shut the
door. They didn't do such a good job soundproofing. You could hear the
highway traffic and jets taking off. There is park and fly parking but
it is not free.

Best Western Newark Airport West

I wasn't able to check to see how soundproof the rooms are, but they do
have a long term parking deal. The hotel looks shopworn on the outside,
the help is rude...I think Snookie and The Situation were working the
front desk (Mtv's Jersey Shore). I asked a guest who was checking out.
They said that the hallways looked creepy, but the rooms were clean and
spacious.

Hilton Newark Airport

I looked at this hotel once before in 2001 when I was flying to Cancun.
Back then it was very shopworn looking. It hardly resembled a Hilton at
all. On this visit, it had cleaned up really well and there were signs
of improvements in the staff as well. I got to see a room, and the
noise level was really low. I did not find any evidence of long term
parking.

Elizabeth Knights Inn - Newark Airport

Avoid at all costs unless you are planning an extramarital affair, sex
party or wish to engage one of the on site whores.

Econo Lodge Newark Intl Airport

The rooms they let me see smelled like a mixture of cheap air freshener,
moth balls and like someone died there. I could only recommend this dive
if you were stranded at the airport and didn't want to sleep in the
airport constantly being awakened by airport security. I felt a strong
need to bathe in flea powder after touring this one.

Country Inn & Suites Newark Airport

Parking is at a premium but there is long term parking. I did not get
to check any of the rooms. I stood outside and asked a few guests who
had checked out. I got mixed reviews. One couple complained that the
walls are paper thin and you can hear what's going on in the next room.
Another couple were very satisfied and said that the hotel was a good
choice for the price. Soundproofing was fairly good.

Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Not only did they let me see some hotel rooms, but since I was there in
the morning I was invited to sample the free breakfast offered to
guests. It's nothing like you would get at a prime B & B but isn't bad
either. There is no on site restaurant. Guest are provided with
take-out delivery menus from nearby restaurants and fast food places.
Parking is free and there is a free airport shuttle. I couldn't learn
anything about long term parking.

However on rout 1 & 9 across from the airport there are several budget
long term parking lots with parking garages and free shuttles to the
airport and cruise terminals. Some lots charge as much as $17.00 per
day for indoor parking.

Park 2 Go.com offers free shuttles to airport and/or cruise port, help
with luggage, senior and various discounts, rates are $11.00 per day
with $70.00 for 7 days. Discounts offered are $1.00 per day. (Prices
bound to change from 2009 rates).

--
________
Brian M. Kochera