How to eat cheap in Paris?

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default How to eat cheap in Paris?

Great question.
To eat in London on the cheap, we can look at some restaurant at low price.
London is filled with marvelous restaurants with amazing variety, it won't be hard for you to find a good restaurant by using smart search engines of restaurants:
Ex: http://restaau.co.uk
It can help you to filter search results easily by different aspects such as Cuisines, Distance, Price, Dinning Options, Good For, Star…View details of a restaurant with telephone, location, photos, description and reviews from internet community about that restaurant.
You can make sure you've got the latest information for nearly 90,000 restaurants across most of cities in UK.

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

Take canned foods with you and save a lot of money. Horrifying, I
know. I had some friends that went to Tokyo for a week and took a
suitcase full of canned foods. They were fearful they'd have to eat
!RAW FISH! or nothing.

They are a strange--but frugal--couple.

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

gtr wrote:
Take canned foods with you and save a lot of money. Horrifying, I
know. I had some friends that went to Tokyo for a week and took a
suitcase full of canned foods. They were fearful they'd have to eat !RAW
FISH! or nothing.

They are a strange--but frugal--couple.

When I was young, I knew a former WAAC who had been stationed in Japan
after WWII. She lived there for two years, and never even SAMPLED
Japanese food! (True, we don't all have the same tastes in food, but TWO
YEARS without even TRYING the native cuisine?)
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:36:19 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

gtr wrote:
Take canned foods with you and save a lot of money. Horrifying, I
know. I had some friends that went to Tokyo for a week and took a
suitcase full of canned foods. They were fearful they'd have to eat
!RAW FISH! or nothing.

They are a strange--but frugal--couple.

When I was young, I knew a former WAAC who had been stationed in Japan
after WWII. She lived there for two years, and never even SAMPLED
Japanese food! (True, we don't all have the same tastes in food, but TWO
YEARS without even TRYING the native cuisine?)

I have met US servicemen who never left the base when they were in Europe.

Indeed I knew a US liaison officer from CSU Edzell who claimed he
couldn't get a US Navy driver to bring him down to Scarborough in
Yorkshire until US style fast food establishments opened in the town.

--
"Hopefully the fair wind will resume, or this may well take all day."

Admiral Collingwood on being becalmed under the guns of six French ships-
of-the-line at Trafalgar

Old January 15th, 2013, 06:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 00:47:22 -0800, bruce.pregler wrote:

Great question.
To eat in London on the cheap, we can look at some restaurant at low
price.

If you want to eat cheap in Paris, don't get slightly away of the
tourists spots and eat were the people who work in town eat (workday
lunch only). For example, near Opera, the streets north of Boulevard
Lafayette contain a number of reasonable small restaurants.
If you want to eat very cheap, buy some sandwiches in shops like ED, but
don't come back and say you were disappointed. Very cheap is rarely very
good.
This said, there are still a number of cafés where you can eat a very
decent typical /plat du jour/ for a decent price, the price and the
quality vary madly from one café to the next.
If you want to eat typical French food for reasonable prices, visit Lyon
(2 hours by train from Paris), and even better the surrounding region
from Lyon to Clermont-Ferrand. I recently ate some very nice French food
for a very reasonable price in an Hotel at Chambon sur Lignon.

http://www.ot-hautlignon.com/
?page=actu2.php&type=nos_communes&is_menu=1&langue =uk
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

On 15/01/2013 12:04 AM, Paul Aubrin wrote:

If you want to eat cheap in Paris, don't get slightly away of the
tourists spots and eat were the people who work in town eat (workday
lunch only). For example, near Opera, the streets north of Boulevard
Lafayette contain a number of reasonable small restaurants.
If you want to eat very cheap, buy some sandwiches in shops like ED, but
don't come back and say you were disappointed. Very cheap is rarely very
good.

That was certainly my experience. Just walk a couple blocks in any
direction of major tourist trap areas and you are likely to get
excellent food for a fraction of the price.

On our last trip to France we spent a couple days in Reims and had
wonderful food and it was very reasonable. Hotels were a lot cheaper
too. We also spent a couple nights in Verdun and the food there was good
and downright cheap.

Old January 17th, 2013, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Paul Aubrin wrote:

[...]

London is generally more expensive than Paris. But they really have a
takeaway culture which Paris does not, from Pret a Manger to Marks and
Spencer and other supermarket chains with good prepared foods.
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:55:02 -0800, poldy wrote:

n article ,
Paul Aubrin wrote:

[...]

London is generally more expensive than Paris. But they really have a
takeaway culture which Paris does not, from Pret a Manger to Marks and
Spencer and other supermarket chains with good prepared foods.

Maybe it was true ten years ago, it no more the case now. There has been
a flourishing of a variety of take-away or fast-food boutiques. A lot of
them independent, and some chain stores like Cojean or Dailymonop (neat,
clean but a little more expensive). Meanwhile, the old bistrots have
tried to adapt to this new concurrence.
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 00:47:22 -0800, bruce.pregler wrote:

Great question.
To eat in London on the cheap, we can look at some restaurant at low
price.
London is filled with marvelous restaurants with amazing variety, it
won't be hard for you to find a good restaurant by using smart search
engines of restaurants:
Ex: http://restaau.co.uk It can help you to filter search results easily
by different aspects such as Cuisines, Distance, Price, Dinning Options,
Good For, Star…View details of a restaurant with telephone, location,
photos, description and reviews from internet community about that
restaurant.
You can make sure you've got the latest information for nearly 90,000
restaurants across most of cities in UK.

Not cheap, but in Paris. A video from the Jules Verne restaurant at the
2nd floor of the Eiffel tower (the subject starts around 9'40").
The third subject is about a cocktail bar at the top of the Montparnasse
tower.
Some nice views on Paris from both places.

The recipe (roasted deer) is explained here.
http://www.france5.fr/emissions/les-...-12-2012_22117

Translation by Bing translator (sorry, no time)
Head: Jemmy Brouet
Restaurant: The Jules Verne - 75007 Paris
Preparation time: 25 min – cooking: 4 hours
Average cost: quite expensive
Level of difficulty: difficult

Ingredients
For four persons:

2 squares of 8 sides
1 tbsp. of oil s.
40 g of butter
50 g of pepper salt mix

Filling of winter:

1 Apple
1 Quince
1/2 celery root
8 radishes
20 white background cl
60 g butter
4 c. s '.d uile
Flower of salt, pepper

For the pepper sauce:
1 kg of bone and deer ornament
1 l bottom of game
75 cl red wine
100 g carrots
100 g shallots
2.5 g of crushed pepper
50 g mushrooms
20 cl of wine vinegar
5 cl cognac
100 g butter
10 cl of olive oil
1 sprig thyme

Preparation:

Detail the squares of deer into 8 2 rib portions. Sift the mixture of pepper to remove the powder. Then roll the meat in the pepper and fry it in oil and butter basting often. Let stand 10 min.
Prune fruit and vegetables into beautiful bites separately Cook fudge but farms in the oil with
the white background and a Pat of butter. Drain and reduce the juice if necessary.
Prepare the sauce: cut the carrots, shallots and mushrooms into cubes. In a sauté pan,
Brown oil bones and trimmings, degrease, add a knob of butter, diced vegetables, thyme
and pepper half. You sweat 15 min and then flame with cognac before leaving reduce dry.
Deglaze with the vinegar and let it reduce dry. Wet with wine and let reduce by half in
skimming. Add the bottom of game and let Cook 2 h. filter and whisk in the cold butter
into cubes.
Garnish the plates of vegetables in their juice, sliced and salted meat, garnish with
pepper sauce and juices from cutting. Serve remaining sauce in a gravy boat.

Chef's hint: the deer to get a nice colour cooked in a large cast-iron skillet,
and add the butter at the end for the nutty taste.

The beverage to accompany: tasty but elegant. 2004 - Gevrey - Chambertin
1 cru Lavaux St-Jacques - Hammed Geoffroy-great red Burgundy, dense and juicy,
but also tender and delicate.

The trap to avoid: serve the Pan immediately after baking. Let rest the meat for
more tenderness and lapasser in the oven a few minutes before serving.

The story: where you got this recipe when or how did you created?
This recipe is a classic of Escoffier, French cuisine adapted by Jules Verne.