Ice in NY Harbor

Old February 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Greg

Default Ice in NY Harbor

We're sailing out of NY this weekend and caught a blurb on this morning's
news that the ice was getting so bad in NY harbor that they had cancelled
the ferries. Will this affect our cruise? We're sailing on the Norweigian
Spirit. Hopefully she big and strong enough to make it in, but will the
pilot and/or tug boats have enough trouble that it would affect the
Spirit's ability to dock?

While it has been cold in the northeast for the past week or so, this is
winter after all. I can recall other colder winters, but after this AM I'm
getting worried that our cruise will be affected.

does anyone have any experience with this issue in the past?

Thank you.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Greg" wrote

We're sailing out of NY this weekend and caught a blurb on this morning's
news that the ice was getting so bad in NY harbor that they had cancelled
the ferries. Will this affect our cruise? We're sailing on the
Norweigian
Spirit. Hopefully she big and strong enough to make it in, but will the
pilot and/or tug boats have enough trouble that it would affect the
Spirit's ability to dock?

The ferry service that was cancelled was across the Hudson River in
Ossining, NY... about 60 miles north of NY city. The water there is fresh
and reletively shallow... the water in NY Harbor is pretty salty, much
deeper and it takes a lot lower temperature to freeze.

No word that there has been any ice in NY harbor that would impede cruise
ships. It would be VERY unusual for that to happen.

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

April 29, 2007 GGC2007 http://cruisemaster.com/pride.htm
October 14, 2007 MOAGC 3 - http://www.moagc-3.com
January 20, 2008 - Adventure - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm

Old February 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Proveniebam

On Feb 7, 1:32 pm, "George Leppla" wrote:
"Greg" wrote

[...]

Cruise ships are not designed to ice break. Whenever new cruise ships
come out of Sweden/Norway they are preceeded by two ice-breakers to
carve a path for them.

Old February 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 2:17 pm, "Proveniebam" wrote:
[...]

carve a path for them.- Hide quoted text -

Hi i was just on the ferry from NYC to Weehawken no ice in site .The
Nordam is it today .It's cold but the blusest sky's today . Not a bad
day to go on a cruise from NYC in Feb !!!