SS United States

Old April 10th, 2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike Taylor

Default SS United States

I heard a few years ago that Norwegian Cruise Line had purchased the SS
United States and it appeared as though they'd refurbish and introduce the
ship into its fleet.

Has anyone heard any updates on this? As far as I know, it's still rusting
in a port somewhere in Philly.

Thanks,

Mike Taylor
Cincinnati

Old April 10th, 2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Mike Taylor wrote:
I heard a few years ago that Norwegian Cruise Line had purchased the SS
United States and it appeared as though they'd refurbish and introduce the
ship into its fleet.

Has anyone heard any updates on this? As far as I know, it's still rusting
in a port somewhere in Philly.

DH drove past it a few weeks ago and it is still sitting and rusting
under the Walt Whitman Bridge in Philly.

sue
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Apr 9, 9:09 pm, "Mike Taylor" wrote:
I heard a few years ago that Norwegian Cruise Line had purchased the SS
United States and it appeared as though they'd refurbish and introduce the
ship into its fleet.

Has anyone heard any updates on this? As far as I know, it's still rusting
in a port somewhere in Philly.

They purchased it to get an American flagged vessel in their ownership
to facilitate their Hawaii cruises ...

It's still there ... saw it yesterday on my way to my son's house for
Easter in PA ...
There is no way they can "refurbish" it to make it a viable
cruiseship ... unless melting it down and recasting the steel for a
new ship can be called refurbishing ...

Old April 10th, 2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:09:12 -0400, "Mike Taylor"
wrote:

I heard a few years ago that Norwegian Cruise Line had purchased the SS
United States and it appeared as though they'd refurbish and introduce the
ship into its fleet.

Has anyone heard any updates on this? As far as I know, it's still rusting
in a port somewhere in Philly.

Thanks,

Hi Mike,

Star Cruises through its NCL subsidiary purchased her a number of
years ago. They have said as recently as last year that they hoped to
refurbish and sail her again. Most liner buffs would love to see that
come to fruition. Unfortunately it is not a financial viability at
this time. There are several organizations such as the SS United
States Conservancy & the S.S. United States Foundation. More
information can be gained by visiting their web sites.
http://www.ssunitedstatesconservancy.org/
http://www.ssunitedstates.org
There are a group of us that love to discuss old Ocean Liners. You
can find us over at a Yahoo News Group:
Any more questions, just ask!

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Mike Taylor" wrote

I heard a few years ago that Norwegian Cruise Line had purchased the SS
United States and it appeared as though they'd refurbish and introduce the
ship into its fleet.

Has anyone heard any updates on this? As far as I know, it's still
rusting in a port somewhere in Philly.

NCL bought the SS United States as part of their political PR effort to get
the US Government to waive portions of the Passenger Services Act which gave
NCL a virtual monopoly on Hawaiian inter-island cruises. Oh, there was
grand talk of refurbishment and restoration or using the hull as a base for
a new cruise ship, but most people knew they were just blowing smoke. It
was a "talking point" that politicians could use if and when they had to
justify handing Star Cruises a monopoly.

The SS United States still sits and rusts while NCL hauls in more and more
money from Hawaii.... without competition.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

April 29, 2007 GGC2007 http://cruisemaster.com/pride.htm
October 14, 2007 MOAGC 3 - http://www.moagc-3.com
January 20, 2008 - GGC2008 - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm

Old April 10th, 2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

George you are SOOO right.... Was nothing but Politics and WHO is
paying the Berthing fee in Philadelphia? When NCL /Star bought it
they said they had it checked and for all the time its been there it
was in sailing shape ( although its gutted) I see it everytime I go
over the bridge which is often.. ITs very sad... Maybe someone needs
to Dig this up and ask WHY isnt something being done????
Yes they have the Hawaii Market but would you say they have a
Wonderful Product there??? one of my clients went to work for them in
hawaii as a chef.. HE said Terrible.. and what he said they do with
the food OH MY! But hey Everyone likes something and Cruising
certainly has changed in the last 20 years, some things for the better
somethings not as good... Still is what my passion is for travel

"Mike Taylor" wrote

Old April 10th, 2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

[...]

To say nothing of making sure that no one else could encroach on their
monopoly by buying her.

....of course from what I continue to hear about their less-than-
stellar experiences with NCL America Cruises, it proves the old saying
"Be careful what you wish for..."

Mark

Old April 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
WRD

I do not believe that NCL got the US to waive any portion of the Passenger
Services Act. These ships are U.S.-flagged, U.S.-crewed ships and therefore
the PSA does not apply to them. Any other cruise line could do the same if
they wished.

Ron

"Mike Taylor" wrote

Old April 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Diana Ball

"WRD" wrote:
I do not believe that NCL got the US to waive any portion of the Passenger
Services Act. These ships are U.S.-flagged, U.S.-crewed ships and
therefore the PSA does not apply to them. Any other cruise line could do
the same if they wished.

Ron

To clarify, NCL did secure a legislative exception to the PSA. The law was
changed to allow NCL, and NCL only, to operate foreign-built ships under US
flags in Hawaii, thus eliminating the requirement of a foreign port stop. I
imagine if you Google it, you'll find the long political history how NCL
secured the monopoly on the island cruises.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Old April 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Odysseus

In article .com, says...

[...]

Why doesn't NCL scrap her? That would ensure that nobody else would
buy her.