New $20 Note begins circulation today

Old October 12th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Mark Kelly

Default New $20 Note begins circulation today

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:00:58 +0000 (UTC), "Mike O'Sullivan"
wrote:

Significantly, Russia is to start pricing their oil exports in Euros, rather
than US$ as previously.

and some other things are now price in euros and very easy to get it
exchange over there. (UK pounds are still difficult to exchange
there.)
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:38:19 +0200, "tim"
wrote:

Your local treasury will probably work on the basis that the useful
life-time of an individual note is around 9 months. If you just continue
to withdraw 'old' notes as they become tatty there will be few left in
circulation after 18 months, though there will be lots left in security
boxes etc (including some in my wallet, from around 1997 - I hope
that I can still spend them!) so you have a 'recall' to get the last few
handed in.

As has been said other countries do this routinely, why would the US
find it hard?

The only recall the USA has made of old money was the recall of
gold coins and gold certificates in the early 1930s.

Old October 12th, 2003, 11:38 PM
tim

"SP Cook" wrote in message om...
Go Fig wrote in message ...
This link has a pic of the new note (right side):

SNIP.

I don't really see how changing the bill helps at all, unless they
call in all of the old ones. You can still use "old" small picture
bills anywhere and nobody will bat an eyelash. It will take years
for even the "old" bills to be flushed out of the system, let alone
the "middle-aged" bills. By that time, these "new" bills will
probably also have been surplanted by something else.

Your local treasury will probably work on the basis that the useful
life-time of an individual note is around 9 months. If you just continue
to withdraw 'old' notes as they become tatty there will be few left in
circulation after 18 months, though there will be lots left in security
boxes etc (including some in my wallet, from around 1997 - I hope
that I can still spend them!) so you have a 'recall' to get the last few
handed in.

As has been said other countries do this routinely, why would the US
find it hard?

Tim

Old October 12th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Bill Williams

On 10/12/03 5:38 PM, in article , "tim"
wrote:

"SP Cook" wrote in message
om...
Go Fig wrote in message
[...]

Because being told by the Government they HAVE to do something is anathema
to most Americans.