Shore tour issue

Old December 14th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Thomas Smith

Default Shore tour issue

A friend of mine just returned from the Carnival Triumph. She said that in
Sint Maarten, the tour operators at the pier weren't accepting walk-up
business. They said that everyone had to book a tour on the ship due to
liability issues. I find this hard to believe, and we both thought the tour
operators were "bought out" somehow. Has anyone ever heard anything like
this? When I was in Grand Cayman last year, I saw Stingray City tours for
67% less than what the ship was charging.

--
I'm Tom Smith, and I approved this message.

Old December 14th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Charles

In article
, Thomas
Smith -NO-SPAM wrote:

A friend of mine just returned from the Carnival Triumph. She said that in
Sint Maarten, the tour operators at the pier weren't accepting walk-up
business. They said that everyone had to book a tour on the ship due to
liability issues.

There is a taxi stand at the end of the pier. You can take a taxi tour
of the island or take a taxi to any beach, or to Mairgot. If you want
to do America's Cup Regatta or Golden Eagle Cat., afraid the cruise
lines have those all those exclusively reserved for themselves.

--
Charles

Old December 14th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Jim

Tom,
If these are operators that are contracted to the cruiseline then
naturally they have to abide by the rules which means they cannot cut out
the middleman. That is rather like asking the fuel truck driver to fill you
gas tank before he pulls into the gas station. While these operators about
the same or a little more than the 'independents that are floating around
they have to meet certain requirements such as safety and insurance, people
that can speak English, and gty that they will deliver the product
advertised. In return they get first crack at the passengers and get their
bookings through the cruiseline. That is a win-win deal for all of them. Now
the 'independent are often cheaper but you get no gty that they will
delivery what they promise, no way to complain if they don't effectively,
and usually no insurance if something happens and if it all goes to hell in
a handbasket, they just haul butt and leave you there. Most independents are
honest and hardworking but if anyone is unsure of themselves, does not speak
the local language, new to a port, or worried about time constraints then
they should stick to the ships tours.
Jim

Old December 14th, 2004, 04:38 PM
its_my_dime

It seems to me that the major advantage of a "ships" tour is that, no matter
what happens on the tour (mechanical breakdowns, sick passenger, accident,
bad weather), the ship won't sail without you.

That being said, if there are at least two and definitely four of you...and
you do some web research before you leave...and you don't push the return
time to tightly...you can probably save a great deal of money by booking
your own tour either in advance on the web (by email) or on shore.

I can't really comment about the insurance issue. However, since Medicare
and some private policies don't pay outside of the US, I would recommend
trip insurance with a medical payment ($25,000 per head) plus med evac
whether or not you take the ship's tours.

imd