Disney Paris Hotel Question

Old June 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Joe Schmoe

Default Disney Paris Hotel Question

Can anyone recommend either the Santa Fe or the Cheyenne hotel, or
advise which one is best?
Old June 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Mxsmanic

Joe Schmoe writes:

Can anyone recommend either the Santa Fe or the Cheyenne hotel, or
advise which one is best?

The hotels are arranged in a hierarchy of rising rates and comfort. The
least expensive--and thus the least luxurious--is the Santa Fe. The
Cheyenne is the next one above that (in price and luxury). Above that,
in order, are the Sequoia Lodge, the Newport Bay Club, the Hotel New
York, and the Disneyland Hotel. Davy Crockett's Ranch is a special
case, with bungalows that you can rent (with all the amenities) in a
nearby forest; the effective price depends on how many people share the
bungalow.

All of the Disneyland Paris hotels are comfortable and nice. The Santa
Fe is plenty for most people, and indeed, it's the hotel that is filled
the quickest during busy periods and high season. As you go up the
list, the hotels get progressively nicer, along with related services,
and so on (the Newport Bay Club has two pools, but the Santa Fe has
none).

Whichever one you choose, you'll be comfortable, compared to the
standards of most European hotels. The higher you go, the more
comfortable it gets.

The Disneyland Paris hotels are unique in their themed design. The
Santa Fe is designed like a New Mexican pueblo, complete with volcano,
buried flying saucer, and drive-in screen.

The Cheyenne is organized like a town in the Old West (of the U.S.),
with rooms hidden in old-fashioned western buildings (the hotels
themselves are new, of course). This hotel has bunk beds, which kids
tend to really like. It has a nice "Chuck Wagon" restaurant, which used
to serve real pancakes (but I suspect it doesn't anymore--I haven't been
there in a while).

The Sequoia looks uncannily like a mountain lodge in the Pacific
Northwest, with lots of wood tones, pine forest, etc. It used to have a
grill that served any kind of meat you wanted (venison, beef, etc.), but
I think that has been downgraded as well.

The Newport Bay Club looks just like a New England seaside resort, very
nautical and airy, with two swimming pools and a great view of Lake
Buena Vista in many rooms. It's also the largest hotel in Europe.

The Hotel New York is designed to look like Manhattan, with a lot of Art
Deco touches. I don't care for the style much, but it's a very nice
hotel.

Finally, the Disneyland Hotel is done in the fin de siècle 1900 style
and is very luxurious. Michael Jackson used to stay in the presidential
suites there until he fell from grace. It overlooks the Magic Kingdom
at Disneyland Paris.

The Davy Crockett Ranch is for people who want to _pretend_ to rough it
out in the forest (actually only a few miles from civilization). It's
quite a distance from the theme parks, though, so you can't just walk to
the Magic Kingdom.

The ranch and the Santa Fe fill rapidly and completely. The more
expensive hotels fill more slowly, but they still generally fill in high
season and holiday periods.

All of the Disneyland Paris hotels are pretty cool, as is the
pedestrian-only atmosphere of the resort, and all of them are likely to
satisfy. I haven't been to these hotels in a bit, but hopefully the
revolving-door management at Eurodisney hasn't let them go too far to
seed (they were fabulous when the park opened, but they've gone downhill
a bit as each CEO has tried to cut costs rather than increase revenue).

Old June 11th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Mxsmanic

Rita writes:

I love the idea of faux United States faux history
used in a theme park in France. So kitschy.

You're not the only one. All the hotels fill well in advance of key
holiday periods and sometimes in high season generally.

It is always
less disappointing to visit faux replicas of real places
than to visit the real thing

Often true. The real places often seem very banal in comparison once
you actually see them.

Old June 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Mxsmanic

Rita writes:

So there is. And somehow I didn't take you as a Disney
fan. I'm not sure if Mixi is or is not. He does seem
to know a lot about the Disney hotels.

I'm quite a Disney fan, even though the empire has been in steady
decline ever since Walt died.

Old June 13th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Rita" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:27:20 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:58:10 GMT, Rita wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:23:38 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:36:31 GMT, Rita wrote:

Yeah. Faux European castles in the U.S. are better than
the real thing.

Rubbish!

Were you aware I was making a joke? Pathetic though
it may have been Disney gussies up history and presents
a past that never ever existed. I haven't visited
Disney in France, but Disneyworld in Florida presents
American history as sanitized and idealized.

So was I. There's a shortage of smileys due to global warming.

So there is. And somehow I didn't take you as a Disney
fan. I'm not sure if Mixi is or is not. He does seem
to know a lot about the Disney hotels.

It was a helpful post - It can't be the real Mixi we know and love....